Thread: Brands

Brands

I'm looking on on EBay for a compound bow. I know Hoyt & Matthews are the two front runners (and I know they also have their critics & haters). In general, what are your feelings on PSE and Bear? Also, is Diamond a big downgrade from Bowtech?

Are you positive of your draw length and what weight you can pull?If not purchase something that has an easy draw length adjustment.
    Nothing wrong with the two you mentioned or PSE and Bear.

Any of those brands mentioned make great bows. Hoyt and Mathews will cost you the most, usually, PSE and bear have great priced started bows as well as some wonderful high end models. Lots of small guys too like strother, elite, obsession and xpedition.

Like said before, if you don't know your DL get something that is adjustable without mod/cam change
    2014 Obsession Evolution - Stormy Hardwoods - 28.5/70#
    2006 75th Ann Hoyt Trykon - 28.5/70#

How much $$ you want to spend?...the PSE drive LT, Hoyt Charger, Diamond(Bowtech), Mission(Mathews) will all do what you want if you do your part...so you can buy a nice new bow for a reasonable amount of $$~500 or you you can buy a top of the line bow a few years old for about the same amount...only you can decide which way to go.
    2015 Xpedition Xcentric

PSE uses draw mods on most-not all bows, just look at the specs and see the draw length range, say 27 -30" for example. Look for leftover 2014 models, and a PSE dealer will have the paperwork to get you a full warranty. Also Elite is OK to buy online. Hoyt and Mathews aren't, no warranty for online purchases. You can find some real deals on E-Bay, but It would help to know your draw length to be sure. Cheers--BB

I shoot a Hoyt Grand Prix series recurve. I have 34# limbs. I know I'd be looking at the 60/70# compounds. I'm a 29" draw. I was looking at the Hoyt Ignite to get for my wife with the chance that she wasn't into it and then adjusting to me, but I found a Hoyt Vixen for her.

Diamonds are great bows. Don't look them over!
    Bowtech EXPERIENCE - Spot Hogg - QAD HDX - Stokerized
    PRIME Impact

PSE has the best bows on the market for nearly any price range IMO.
    '11 PSE Dream Season EVO Skullz 28" 60lbs
    QAD HDX full capture drop away rest
    AXT Primal 5-pin micro adjust sight
    Alpine Skullz stabilizer and Soft-Loc quiver

Diamond makes some fine bows. If you can find a diamond deadeye snatch it up.
    Bowtech D350LE Barnsdale Limbs Blacked Out
    Xpedition XRVII Moonshine Outshine

I bought a Bear on Ebay in December,it was a good price and fast shipping.I took it to a pro shop and bought a sight,quiver and rest and they actually set it up for free.I did pay for the d-loop and peep sight.....its for sale now,but it is a great bow,
    Hoyt Vector 32 28.5dl-57lb-251fps-soon to be 50lb
    Elite Energy 35 28.5"-55lbs(no speed yet)
    Bear Method 28.5dl-50lb-255fps
    Eyeballing one of the new Obsession bows,just have to figure
    out how to get it in the house.....

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman94 View Post
    I shoot a Hoyt Grand Prix series recurve. I have 34# limbs. I know I'd be looking at the 60/70# compounds. I'm a 29" draw. I was looking at the Hoyt Ignite to get for my wife with the chance that she wasn't into it and then adjusting to me, but I found a Hoyt Vixen for her.
    Do yourself and your wife a huge favor--------deal with a pro shop. It is very obvious you don't have enough knowledge to buy used. How do you know what your actual draw length is? If your going off using a recurve your off base to start with. A big consideration if how a bow adjusts to fit you and your wife. Buying used I have seen too many people buy used and found out the bow could not be adjusted to them.
    Again deal with a shop.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

You are too worried about name brands. People get on here and trash talk bows all the time......but IMO that just shows a real lack of knowledge and a childlike mentality. I have owned many different brands and it's the model of the brand that makes the bow.....not the brand. IOW if it fits you and you shoot it well its the bow for you.....not because it's brand XXX.

The people that don't see that are the same people with a 4 ft sticker on the rear window of their truck.....I guess it's too hard to scrape off so they are just stuck buying brand XXX!
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

is Diamond a big downgrade from Bowtech?

With regard to your other questions, I can't say; however, this one I will answer. IMHO, NO! I've owned several Diamond bows in the last few years and six BowTechs. The only difference is that the Diamonds were single cam. In fact, one of the smoothest, nicest shooting bows I've ever owned was a Diamond Marquis. Wish I hadn't sold it to a friend of mine!
    BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience; Elite Energy 35
    QAD HDX rests
    HHA Optimizer Lites - DS series (5019 and 5519)
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

Don't worry about the brand, they all make excellent products that will do everything you want it to do. Go to your local pro shop, be fitted properly, shoot a variety and choose what is most comfortable to you. Or as I have heard some here on AT say, let the bow choose you. Again, don't focus just on what brand it is.
    2015 PSE Bow Madness 34, 27" DL @ 58 Lbs~HHA OL-5519~QAD Ultra-Rest Pro HD~Carbon Force X Weave Bow Madness 200~NAP Thunderhead 100 grain~Specialty Archery Peep

Live like there's no tomorrow, be happy, hunt hard and enjoy life

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman94 View Post
    I'm looking on on EBay for a compound bow. I know Hoyt & Matthews are the two front runners (and I know they also have their critics & haters). In general, what are your feelings on PSE and Bear? Also, is Diamond a big downgrade from Bowtech?
    if that's your short list your missing a lot of really good bows,, like obsession, expedition, darton, the New martin, bowtech...... from my personal experience I would put Pse ahead of hoyt and mathews always,,,,,, don't buy a bow because they are the most advertised,, buy it because it is the bow you want,,,,,,,,, and I wouldn't reccomend buying a bow from ebay unless you have a lot of experience,, go to a shop and look you will come out ahead in the long run, even if you pay more

PSE has a great bow line up, keep a open mind, it is the person behind the bow

There's a good reason why PSE sells so many bows. Great values in every price range and most are highly adjustable.