Thread: 280 fps = broad head stability

280 fps = broad head stability

I have seen this number quite often with regard to optimal broad head flight. Most my hunting arrows fly 300fps or more...I think i have a pretty good tune on my rigs and have never noticed any issues. Is there any truth or supporting data for 280fps or is it conjecture and opinion.

It's only opinion at best.

I shoot fixed and mech with the same poi to my longest ranges.

My bows have been in the 300-315 fps range for years.

Speed has nothing to do with it. Speed takes some of the guess work out of distance, it flattens the arrow flight some and it will produce more kinetic energy. It doesn't influence the flight of a broadhead. Design influences it far more.
    Now we are talking about a properly tuned bow and a shooter with good form.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Quote Originally Posted by whack n' stack View Post

Same here, if the POI is not the same, I fine tune my bow even more. Fixed BH and field point as well as a mechanical need to hit the same before I am satisfied.
    Wabanaki Wilderness 207-853-0949

Authorized Retailer for BOWTECH, DARTON, DIAMOND, ELITE, MATHEWS, MISSION & PSE

Quote Originally Posted by Kahkon View Post
    Same here, if the POI is not the same, I fine tune my bow even more. Fixed BH and field point as well as a mechanical need to hit the same before I am satisfied.
    this is the thing we all try to achieve. But that was not the question----the question was you need a bow to shoot 280 fps to have proper flight.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1 View Post
    this is the thing we all try to achieve. But that was not the question----the question was you need a bow to shoot 280 fps to have proper flight.

Absolutely not is the answer. My answer was to support what whack said and stress that tuning a bow properly is the answer and a bow shooting 240 fps if properly tuned with a properly spined arrow will shoot as good a 315 fps bow, providing the archers form is decent as you suggested and the bow is not utter trash...
    Wabanaki Wilderness 207-853-0949

Authorized Retailer for BOWTECH, DARTON, DIAMOND, ELITE, MATHEWS, MISSION & PSE

I don't think it is a matter of speed so much as a matter of set-up. Not all fixed blade heads are built the same and sometimes even your arrows can work against you when it comes to good flight. Every broadhead/arrow should be spin tested to make sure it spins true, no exceptions. Some heads can be put on and they will spin well for the most part unless your arrow has an issue. ( crooked insert or a crooked arrow ) Other heads may require some adjusting to get them spinning right. When I was young I hunted with recurves that shot less then 180 fps and arrows with Bear Razorheads and if you didn't get them lined up right they would shoot all over the place, like corkscrewing in a 5 foot circle.

Like anything else when you add speed your also upping the possibility of tuning errors becoming more pronounced.
    Plainly put the slower the arrow the less effect, faster more effect.
    Broadhead design does influence flight characteristics but is 280 a magical number for good broadhead flight? I'm doubting it!
    So with all that being said if you're shooting one of the new super fast compound bows then also gaining knowledge on tuning broadheads to hit with field points should be a top priority!
    If Im huntin im livin!
    If im livin im shootin!
    If im shootin Im a Happy man!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1 View Post
    I think you misunderstood. What the guy is worried about is fixed blades getting accuracy problems at higher speeds. Things seem to go South fast past about 275 fps unless everything is perfect with the arrow and the archer.
    nuts&bolts asks me how his form looks

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1 View Post
    Speed has nothing to do with it. Speed takes some of the guess work out of distance, it flattens the arrow flight some and it will produce more kinetic energy. It doesn't influence the flight of a broadhead. Design influences it far more.
    Now we are talking about a properly tuned bow and a shooter with good form.
    I wouldn't go that far......I think speed makes a big difference. If you take a recurve shooter they have a pretty wide margin for error and not as much tuning options as we do. But they do well because they aren't shooting as fast and things aren't as critical.

As you increase speed you also reduce that same window of error and tuning the bow and the arrow become more critical. I'm NOT saying it can't be done but I can sure tell you it's easier to get FT's & BH's to shoot the same POI from a bow shooting 230 FPS as opposed to a bow shooting 330 FPS. I've been down that road too many times......lol.

Also that (and the lack of good proshops) is exactly why mechanical broad heads are BOOMING right now......hard to argue that.

Then you add in the shooter error amplifies mistake and the faster arrow will be more affected by that as well so I think speed has a lot to do with it.

So I would just say faster rigs are many times less forgiving. Then you add the way they get the speed from the bow....more aggressive cams, lower brace heights, more reflexed risers, etc and that even adds to the problem for many shooters.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

I am with Whack also. I think it may take a better tune at the higher speeds, but thats just a guess. Remember, at one time they thought the speed of sound was a barrier and the World was flat.
    Ches.
    2013 Skullworks PSE DNA, Hamskea Versa Rest FC, Timberland No-Peep, Axcel Vision 5 pin .029
    2010 Black PSE AXE 6,TT Smackdown Pro FC , Timberland No-Peep, Axcel Armortech 5 pin .029
    X-Weave 300 Pro's, RamCat's & ST Mags
    I shoot in the back yard and hunt wherever I can-Team #41 NonTypicals

It was decided that 280 fps was the best by guys with short draw lengths that can't reasonably get any faster than that..
    Just jealousy, Me included

Quote Originally Posted by mauiarcher View Post
    Is there any truth or supporting data for 280fps or is it conjecture and opinion.
    I have found that most combinations have a "speed limit" defined by tuning, rest and release, and all of that is subject to shooter form and consistency. That's based on my own efforts and assisting friends and participating in club tuning clinics. Correct and appropriate spine is assumed, BH surface area and alignment also a given.

Some things boost the odds.
    A drop away rest is far superior to a prong, or full contact rest. Properly timed it gets out of the way on release, and supplies minimal input and error.
    A loop is much better than shooting off the string, much better for speed than fingers.

I shoot off the string with a release, I use a prong type rest, and past 280fps even the mini heads become a problem for me. I can get precision flight as fast as 300fps, but long stands and cold muscles cut my odds on placing a shot with total precision. Add a loop, and I have, that jumps to 300fps, with a drop away rest, I have had good results at 315fps. If I use a larger cut head, 1 3/8"+, all of those speeds drop a bit. Others may see those numbers shift as much as +/- 20fps.

So it's not so much conjecture, as it is a ball park estimate, but a rough estimate at best.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

you can shoot fixed heads over 280 fps but ,,,,,,,,, ya gota have chewing tobaco in your mouth , and throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder first ,,, then and only then your arrows will fly straight

It's all about tuning and finding the right spined arrows IMO. I have shot bows at 275fps with horrible broadhead flight. My current hunting setup is 326fps and my broadheads hit the exact same as my field tips out to 60 yards.
    2014 Elite E32 29.5" 72lbs - 2014 Elite E35 29.5" 71lbs - 2013 Elite Hunter 29.5" 61lbs
    Slick Trick Viper Tricks - Dead Center Archery Priducts - HHA Sights - QAD HDX

There is very little doubt that the faster your arrow flies, the better your tune needs to be for it to fly well with broadheads. I remember shooting my old 1983 Martin Cougar Magnum with thunderheads and 2315 game getters and the broadheads grouped right with my field points. It was probably shooting a blistering 190-200fps. This was before I even knew what tuning a bow was. I got a new bow with carbon arrows and all of a sudden the broadheads didn't hit with the fieldpoints so I researched and found out about bow tuning. The extra speed magnified the flaws and that's what caused the arrow to miss.

I remember hearing Stan Potts say that 280fps was the magic number and while I don't think you can put a single number out there for each situation, it does seem that the faster your arrows fly, the better tune you need to and the better you need to be able to shoot. I think too often people forget about their job in the system and just blame the bow tune.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

As my son grew up I was always amazed how easily his broadheads tuned. Speed does matter, and slower broadheads tune easier. Pretty easy to understand ~~ less airflow over the surface of the broadhead equals less force to steer it off course.
    sine labore nihil

280 fps = broad head stability

I have seen this number quite often with regard to optimal broad head flight. Most my hunting arrows fly 300fps or more...I think i have a pretty good tune on my rigs and have never noticed any issues. Is there any truth or supporting data for 280fps or is it conjecture and opinion.
    I've never heard or read of what you have here. I have heard and read of bows couldn't be tuned to shoot a fixed broadhead accurately past 260 fps. But then we have some archers, like TMan51, capable of tuning a bow to shoot a spade. So 280 fps is optimum is kind of silly. Like the others, the fixed broadhead has more influence of what speed can be obtained and still give best accuracy. Just a plain fact all broadheads are not created equal. One bow I have cranks 270 fps and does great with several different fixed blade broadheads. Another bow I have cranks 294 fps and tuned for the NAP Braxe broadhead is deadly accurate out to my imposed limit of 40 yards. Wicked looking it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

the slower speeds are more friendly to a wider range of heads, while any balanced head can be made to fly good, when you increase the speed much the less perfect heads will start to show their flaws,

Quote Originally Posted by NCBuckNBass View Post
    I think you misunderstood. What the guy is worried about is fixed blades getting accuracy problems at higher speeds. Things seem to go South fast past about 275 fps unless everything is perfect with the arrow and the archer.
    correct....my assumption was the perception is 280 (or slower) achieves greater stability/better flight vs less stable at higher than 280fps speeds and is there is any truth to such because I see that number alot. Personally, I have not noticed from my experience but feel it is consequential of a good tune on my bows. If it were true, my hope was that someone may be able to provide some evidence of such that I wasn't aware of (and if convincing may even consider increasing arrow weight to slow down if needed). From what I am hearing though, I have yet to be convinced and at least for now will keep my flatter trajectories.

From what I am hearing though, I have yet to be convinced and at least for now will keep my flatter trajectories.
    Keep in mind that that 280fps number has been floating around for at least 10yrs, maybe 15 years. It has history, not necessarily validity.

If you are rigged with all the bells and whistles, and have reasonable form, you may well be getting excellent flight at 320fps+. That doesn't mean you will by changing to a BH with more surface area, or a low profile fletch with minimal offset. There is no "evidence" I've ever found, and I dig through the engineering references related to archery technology. There is a far amount of "experience" in places like AT. Sifting through the fanboy raves, and looking at some of the comments from experienced archers, the best answer is "it depends".
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

Quote Originally Posted by whack n' stack View Post

I have to agree with whack! My rigs have been in the same range for years and my personal findings are if your bow is tuned correctly, there is no speed limitations, only shooter limitations. The equipment out there by many companies outperforms most of us as shooters!
    Owner: Bear's Den Precision Bow Tuning
    "WHEN GOOD ENOUGH, JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH"
    Get "BEAR CLAWED"