Thread: Hoyt Super Slam Supreme

Question Hoyt Super Slam Supreme

I just recently bought two compound bows off Ebay. I got the Browning Mirage and the Hoyt Super Slam Supreme.

The bowstring for the Hoyt was not included.

I'm wondering what the string length and draw weight is.

Thank you

Call Hoyt & give them the serial number if you have it on the bow. They can tell you what length strings & cables where on it when it left the facility. Does it not have the sticker on it?
    Darrall Dougherty

I tried to get string length for older Hoyt bow and they said serial # won't work cause they don't keep records that far back on serial #'s. They did tell me to E-mail pitures to them along with cam letters & numbers and also what the limbs say then they could probably help out. The bow I needed was a Hoyt Defiant. Hope this helps.

Is it a round wheel or a cam and what number is printed on it???? Supremes had the 17" laminated limbs. I have a chart here.......somewhere.
    Charter Member LOFT Archery Team
    Vantage Elite +
    Sureloc, Britesite Protuner, X Terminator Stabilizers
    60X Strings, Truball Sweet Spot, Thurman Scopes, VAP Bullets

The SSSupreme was one of the worst shooting bows Hoyt ever made because the grip pressure was aligned outside of the string path. The limbs were great.
    Jim Quarles

Illegitimus non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by FS560 View Post
    The SSSupreme was one of the worst shooting bows Hoyt ever made because the grip pressure was aligned outside of the string path. The limbs were great.
    Well I don't really agree with that statement! I got one when they first came out. I was getting a new Hoyt every year. My Supreme shoots awesome. I have much newer Hoyts at the house and the Supreme is still my main hunting bow. Shoots great & is very quiet. Maybe it wasn't the bow for you. But it wasn't the bows fault that you couldn't get it to shoot.
    Darrall Dougherty

You are entitled to your opinion as well as Jim. And me too. I thought it was an unmitigated disaster. Ole FS 560 is an old timer and one of the best shooters in the country back when. he was the first one to ever shoot a 560 on the old targets. I'll take his word anyday.
    Vantage Elite +

Yeah I know nothing...LOL
    Darrall Dougherty

If it works for you, great. You're definitely above the rest. I had one. it was definitely a love/hate relationship Biggest flub Hoyt ever made IMO for target shooting.....I was sold one hell of a bill of goods by the Factory rep.....Might be good to kill a deer at thirty yards like the old wooden riser Brownings that had no center shot that they sold a zillion of... By the time I figured it out, everyone I knew had pretty much caught on to what an unforgiving club it was and sold theirs, and I couldn't even give it away. The poor factory shooters were stuck with it. I called all over the place and finally found a PV on the shelf, and drove all night to Lancaster and bought it. I finally gave the SS away to a kid here in the neighborhood to play with.. I realize I know nothing either, so we're all stuck in the same boat.
    Vantage Elite +

Let me add this. If you can shoot the SS well, then my hat is off to you for sure. I'm not the best shooter in the world nor do I know everything,but I can say during my fifty one years of shooting I've been thru a bow or two. Some good, some not quite so good, but I can, without batting an eye say that the SS was far and away the most critical, unforgiving, bow I had in my hand in all those years.
    Vantage Elite +

I'm not talking target archery & the original poster didn't mention it either. Yep I can shoot it well. My point was that not all bows are for everyone. Just because some knock it doesn't mean it won't shoot well for others. I guess that's why you have so many choices to select from now days. Compared to my dads first catalog that had one compound in it. Mine was given to me by Hoyt. So I guess I could see that if you paid for it and it didn't shoot for you that you may have negative opinions. I've been shooting archery since I could walk. I know a little bit about it. With the father I had I didn't have a chance...LOL. The PV was a great bow!
    Darrall Dougherty

Yep, I know exactly who you are. And I'm just fornicating with you...That's kind of my avocation on AT.... Yes not all bows are for everyone. But I can say the only really top spot shooter I ever personally heard give the SS an absolute AAA rating was Jimmy Despart. Of course before he started having issues, he could win shooting a peach tree limb with a piece of bailing twine tied to it.
    Vantage Elite +

Does Chuck still shoot one?...lol
    Darrall Dougherty

Probably, has one at the foot of his bed........ After all, according to the catalog that year, 92, he's the one that gave the engineers the data on what he wanted in a bow and the rest is history.
    Vantage Elite +

IT sucked period!!! Chuck Adams had about AS much imput on that bow as I did the space shuttle!!! wake up america dammit!!!
    X RING 1

Been in this sport for over 50 years and have had a lot of bows-- traditional and compound-- super slam was the worst thing I ever had.