Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You need to kill a cow, what to do?

You need to kill a cow, what to do?

Shot between the eyes with rifle, or use it for a broadhead test? If bowhunting is a humane way to kill deer, it should be ok for a cow, yes? I already know what I'm going to do if it comes to it, what would you do?

Shot between the eyes. No sense is wasting an arrow on a cow, might be good target practice, but I wont ever see a deer that big so no sense in practicing on it. Plus the bullet should do the job much quicker than an arrow.. What are you going to do?
    Things and Stuff. I need a Navy Seal bow!

I live on a dairy farm and we have had to shoot cows, shoot her between the eyes with a 22. or a 17.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

9mm will ricochet off there heads. guy I worked tried to put one of our dairy cows down with one and had this happen. Bullet to the head is more humane IMO. faster death.

Whats wrong with her?
    Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

i'd shoot it w/ my bow!

Quote Originally Posted by boilerfarmer12 View Post
    9mm will ricochet off there heads. guy I worked tried to put one of our dairy cows down with one and had this happen. Bullet to the head is more humane IMO. faster death.

Whats wrong with her?
    Calf died inside. Can't get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Calf died inside. Can't get it out.
    NO good.. sorry to hear that. Poor cow's
    Things and Stuff. I need a Navy Seal bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Triggins View Post
    NO good.. sorry to hear that. Poor cow's
    Hey, it means fresh ribeyes on the grill

I've pulled calf with a comealong before. Cow lived.
    Pearson Z-32, QAD, Truglo
    Martin Pantera, G5 Expert
    (wife's)Martin Bengal, Whisker Biscuit, Truglo 1 Pin

Call the vet.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

Quote Originally Posted by sinko View Post
    Call the vet.
    Already been called and made the expensive visit.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerND View Post
    I've pulled calf with a comealong before. Cow lived.
    Not a dead one from a cow that isn't dilated, you didn't. The decision was already made, 30-06 between the eyes. No way I'm shooting one with a bow, but I thought some might say they would. It's actually my father's cow, but he doesn't have the heart to shoot it.

If I had to kill a cow, I would just do it without bringing lot's of attention to it..
    Yoohoo. I'll make you famous!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    If I had to kill a cow, I would just do it without bringing lot's of attention to it..
    I normally do. Just thought it would be interesting to see how many would use it for a chance to test their archery equipment. I did find one. Moot point now, anyway, cow died.

You just proved that bow hunting is less humane. On a bow hunting forum.

*facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    I agree, and for a couple of reasons.

1. Our cattle are not just a commodity they are our responsibility. I may just be weird, but we lost a 14 year old cow (Brown Betty) two weeks ago and it hurt my heart. Then last week we had a cow birth the largest bull calf we've had in years. She went off after we had brought her up to the barn so she could eat, which she did, but at some point in the night she separated back down to a ditch line and gave birth. We're not sure if she dropped the calf in the water or on the other side of the ditch and when he first got up he stumbled, but we found him under the water drowned. Again, it hurt my heart to see such a beautiful bull calf dead under the water.
    2. I'm not real sure that the authorities would look kindly upon shooting a cow with a bow and arrow as a humane means of putting it down. If word got out about it one could end up with a fine, or worse.
    לא עוד In Hebrew: NEVER AGAIN! Trinity Archery Field Staff.
    Even if I could, I would Never Deny the Grace of God in my life. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me. 2 Tim. 1:12b

Quote Originally Posted by BLan View Post

1. Our cattle are not just a commodity they are our responsibility. I may just be weird, but we lost a 14 year old cow (Brown Betty) two weeks ago and it hurt my heart. Then last week we had a cow birth the largest bull calf we've had in years. She went off after we had brought her up to the barn so she could eat, which she did, but at some point in the night she separated back down to a ditch line and gave birth. We're not sure if she dropped the calf in the water or on the other side of the ditch and when he first got up he stumbled, but we found him under the water drowned. Again, it hurt my heart to see such a beautiful bull calf dead under the water.
    2. I'm not real sure that the authorities would look kindly upon shooting a cow with a bow and arrow as a humane means of putting it down. If word got out about it one could end up with a fine, or worse.
    My girlfriend just told me that one of her friends dairy cows just dropped a 150# bull calf. I say dropped but it died in utero, I am assuming it drowned because they said they could hear it bawling inside. They ended up having to pull it. I asked her the sire was and told them that I would not be using that bull anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by BLan View Post

I agree I work on a ranch and have put down my share of animals just use a 22,cross the eyes with the ears done deal.....killed countless of hogs from traps with same technique no sence in making things sloppy.........
    2010 PSE x-force Axe 7,,,,,,,29"x45#

Member hoytcharger2013 owes me $20.00 or the quiver I purchased from him neg feedback was left, nothing worse than a thief......

Quote Originally Posted by boilerfarmer12 View Post
    My girlfriend just told me that one of her friends dairy cows just dropped a 150# bull calf. I say dropped but it died in utero, I am assuming it drowned because they said they could hear it bawling inside. They ended up having to pull it. I asked her the sire was and told them that I would not be using that bull anymore!
    Got that right. Big calves equal big no no. Smaller calves that grow faster is much better. There's always the oddball, though.

Low birth weight, high yearling weight is where its at. It all comes down to feeding. You can destroy a great calf with poor feed management and make a decent calf be a money maker.

I've killed dozens of 'em with a single shot from a .22LR revolver, butchering beef on ranch jobs. Always shot them in the middle of the "X": the "feet" of the X being at the top corner of each eye, the "raised hands" of the X being the base of each ear. Fired at a 90-degree angle into the middle of that X puts the bullet right into the base of the brain stem: instant kill.

(Same on horses, BTW... )

A cow's got a pretty small brain stem; and as anyone who's worked more than three cows in their life would readily swear to, they can soak up an amazing amount of damage to the main mass of their brain without any visible effect. They've also got an amazing amount of air space inside their skull...

But you already knew that!

Sorry to hear you're losin' a good cow.

I like the bullet idea...

Crazy Wolf

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Quote Originally Posted by budtripp View Post
    Hey, it means fresh ribeyes on the grill
    ...and veal too!
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    ...and veal too!
    Times ain't got that hard around here yet, Bruce.

Your vet has never done a c-section or removed a calf in pieces??

Killer prices are high, there is a substantial salvage value to be recouped after she cleans up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast