a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

Question New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

My 2013 Lethal Force 2 will be coming a few weeks and I'm ordering a HHA DS-5519 sight, Limb Driver Pro V rest, and a T.R.U. Ball Incredible release. Other than arrows and a quiver, I have all I need. Now, I want to compete in some competitions. Obviously not pro, but amateur. I feel like competing will elevate me quicker to become a better shooter, and well, it's just fun to get out there with other people.

Where do I start?

I live near Dayton, Ohio if that helps, I'm a newbie, 28 years old, and I can practice in my back yard, and also on a lot of land fairly close as well.

Any tips?

-Ryan

P.S. I know, I know, I have to have consistent groups before I go out and compete... obviously. That will come. I just want to know where to start please.

Try and locate some archery clubs near you and the go visit. Might try google search for your area in ohio for closest clubs. good luck and have fun

congrats! are you sighted in yet? i would start there. hitting a target at a given distance is relitivley easy once you get sighted in, judging or guessing distance is the real battle. i would get sighted in for twenty and thirty, fairly well, and then just go to the nearest 3d course, sign up for the hunter class, which shouldn't have very many targets outside those ranges and shoot! they will point you to the first target, and you will follow a trail around to each target! the more time you put in at the range getting your form down and letting your muscles get a memory for shooting the better you will become at the 3d shoots! try a spot league, most shooters will improve greatly during the course of one. get a range finder, start by guessing the yardage to something, range it and see how far you are off, great practice!! it really is about practice practice practice, shoot alot!! good luck! are you shooting by yourself or with someone? try to find someone to shoot with, maybe a person with experience at shooting and competition!!
    Obsession bows pro staff
    Wicked Rack Outdoors
    Trophy Ridge
    Gold Tip

Are you wanting to do spots, 3d or field competitions?
    2013 IBO World Champion & 2014 IBO Indoor World Champion
    Stanislawski Archery Products Pro Staff, Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 34, HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra DS-5510, QAD HDX, Doinker
    (If it every ships)2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, CBE Vertex, QAD HDX and Fuse Carbon Blade

check out www.3dshoots.com, you can get a list of all the shoots and the clubs in your area. They is also listing of shoots on this site as well. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Jerry

Old english archery is down in ur area .Stop in there and talk to Dino he shoots 3D and can lead u in the right direction .
    always swore i would shoot a mathews eating crow love my hoyt lol

While the HHA sight is a great hunting sight, in most places it is not allowed in the hunter classes because it is a moveable pin sight. Most require fixed pins. It usually will put in the open class where you will be shooting the longest distances and competing with the guys with the full target rigs.

First thing is to get someone to teach you how to shoot competition archery.

I disagree that competition will elevate your game faster. It's more likely to send it into the toilet of target panic unless you learn to go about it the right way. With archery, trying harder doesn't work. You have to get to the point where you shoot "your shot" no matter the circumstances. If "your shot" is good enough, you win.

First learn to shoot. Then learn to shoot in competition. It's not as easy as it sounds.

This is not intended to keep you from going to competitions. They are fun, you'll meet some great people & likely pick up a few tips that will help you. Just don't go with unrealistic expectations. Bad things go along with that attitude.

Check your state archery association. Most of them have a list of clubs. A good club can help you learn archery faster than almost anything.

JMHO.
    Allen

I would try practicing with friends or random people to get used to shooting under pressure. Good luck and congrats on the new bow

New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by aread View Post
    First thing is to get someone to teach you how to shoot competition archery.

I disagree that competition will elevate your game faster. It's more likely to send it into the toilet of target panic unless you learn to go about it the right way. With archery, trying harder doesn't work. You have to get to the point where you shoot "your shot" no matter the circumstances. If "your shot" is good enough, you win.

First learn to shoot. Then learn to shoot in competition. It's not as easy as it sounds.

This is not intended to keep you from going to competitions. They are fun, you'll meet some great people & likely pick up a few tips that will help you. Just don't go with unrealistic expectations. Bad things go along with that attitude.

Check your state archery association. Most of them have a list of clubs. A good club can help you learn archery faster than almost anything.

JMHO.
    Allen
    Good points. Competition is not practice. Practice is what elevates your game. No way around that. First learn how to shoot. Then shoot a competition for score. You most certainly shoot competition just to see what's going on. With your sight you will be shooting with " the big boys" that will be very hard on your self esteem.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

find youself a club that has a spot leagues to shoot in. but be warned....getting to concerned about your scores for leagues right away, can or will be detrimental to learning to shoot properly. as you are learning, the last thing you need is anxiety about how well you are shooting, use the league as a steady session of learning to shoot, not as a competition. if you join a league, seek out the guys that are leading the league and spend some time just watching them shoot. you'll be surprised how much that helps you to establish good form and rhythm in your shooting. don't be afraid to ask questions, most good archers are always willing answer questions and help a new-comer learn to shoot, when they recognize you really want to learn to shoot good. ask around and learn about shooting line etiquette, the better shooters will recognize you for this and be more willing to help you join their ranks.
    last of all, have fun learning and realize that getting good is not easy but anyone can do it, it just takes time.

Re: New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

I really appreciate the tips. That is a big help. I will contact Dino and go to that website. Can someone explain the different types of competitions?

Also, before I order the HHA, what can you recommend as a good hunting /competition sight? I liked the HHA because it was innovative.

Thanks

P.S. is the Incredible and Limb Driver good for both Styles?

via my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk...

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Theres alot of good fixed pin sights to choose from, and for a newbie thats the place to start. Look at MBG, CBE, and even ones like Copper John. Thats the way to start, if you start in the open class with a movable sight you may get frustrated shooting 50 yards all the time to start, in hunter class max is 35.IBO is big in Ohio, join the IBO club and shoot some of the big shoots, thats the best way to meet the best people and see what its all about
    2013 Assassin-hunting
    2010 SWAT- 3d
    2006 Old Glory-spots

Re: New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

Did you mean 350 IBO max?

What about Sword? I keep hearing good things about them.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    No sorry I didnt get a space in there. I meant to say hunter class is max 35 yards. Then say IBO is big in Ohio, its a great organization to join up and shoot with. Best place to meet the best shooters and anyone can do it.
    2013 Assassin-hunting
    2010 SWAT- 3d
    2006 Old Glory-spots

Quote Originally Posted by FliGuyRyan View Post
    Did you mean 350 IBO max?

What about Sword? I keep hearing good things about them.

Sword makes good sights. I just ordered another one today. Get a fixed pin sight so you can shoot in hunter class. Also take a look at the trophy ridge "react," if you like the innovation of the HHA then you'll probably be impressed with the react, and it is fixed pins.

New shooter... want to compete. Where do I start?

Good advise on here, seen many crumble and quit from the pressure of competition with unrealistic expectations and TP set in. We sometimes try to be more finite in competition and melt down. I cut my teeth on bets at the range on making a called shot with a pot of cash on the line. If you try a competition and shoot a lot worse than in practice, get a coach

What would be like the top 3 sights for competition and hunting? I mean the Trophy Ridge is cool, I looked at that before the HHA. But, I want a sight that is really good without breaking $250 that can do both. If the TR is really that good then great, but does it sacrifice anything?

Thanks...

With lots of practice and a good archery coach. Try your local bow shop or your local archery club.

Quote Originally Posted by jschins View Post
    check out www.3dshoots.com, you can get a list of all the shoots and the clubs in your area. They is also listing of shoots on this site as well. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Jerry
    Definitely check that site out. Welcome to a new addiction lol. I wish you the best of luck in your shooting!!!

Check out AO Archery near Germantown. Andy has a nice indoor range and outdoor 3d course.

Just wanted to throw this out there. If you are serious about competing and getting good at archery you may want to start off with a good archery coach to learn to shoot the right way right off the bat. It isn't as easy as it looks and learning the right way to grip the bow and starting off shooting using back tension will be a HUGE help in your archery career. Take it from me and a ton of other folks, it's 100% easier to start out by learning the right way than to go back and unlearn bad habits you have picked up learning to shoot on your own. This alone will cut years off of your "learning curve" imo. Good luck to you.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

I would check out spot hogg. They have some really good multi pinned sights.

I would also do a lot of practice before hitting the 3d course. Loosing arrows at a 3d shoot can get expensive, because you dont have all that much time to find them durring a live shoot. And missing a lot can really hurt your confidence, especially when you are in with a group of good shooters. Like others have said I would look into getting a coach, they can teach you things in weeks that would take you years to learn on your own. Proper form and release operation are a couple of the things they will help you on. Its better to start on the right foot with solid foundation than to rush it and pick up bad habits on your own. Start out shooting at ten yards untill you have very good groups, and you are busting nocks and fleatchings off consistently. Then move back 5 more yards and do the same thing till you are consistently getting the same results. And repeat this till you are shooting at 35 yards. Durring this time make sure you are practising estimating yardage all the time. Because in 3d guessing the right yardage is half the game. I know many excellent shooters who do great shooting at a known yardage but have a horrible time guessing the range of the targets. Being a good shoot is only half of the 3d battle, and judging the range and distance is a crucial part of 3d thats often overlooked. Once you feel comfortable with both you should do fairly well on the 3d course. I would start out by going to smaller shoots where the environment will be a little more relaxed before heading out to the main big ones. You will have more time to shoot and a lot less pressure at the smaller ones. The larger ones can get hectic and can be a little less enjoyable due to the pressure and intensity of the compitition. When you first start competing dont worry about your score and compare it to others cause it can be pretty discouraging. Just compete with yourself, and try to better your score at each shoot.
    I will write some more in a few. But I hope this helps.
    Last edited by bowtechlx; March 29th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
    A bad day hunting, is better than a good day on the couch..
    Proud part of the ARCHERY SHACK FIELD STAFF. archeryshackstrings.com
    Buy the best string the first time around, affordable, quality, every time.

1) Get your bow setup for you by a pro. YouTube can't do everything for you.
    2) Get a dozen medium grade arrows. You don't need Olympic quality arrow to start with.
    3) find a good staff pro or coach that will help you with your form and technique.
    4) When your form and technique are automatic with accurate groups, then check into competition shooting.

Some competitions you may only have seconds to shoot, knock, draw, acquire and shoot again. This is where technique and form comes into play. If it doesn't feel right, you will know. But, in order to know you must practice, practice and practice.

Looks like you really want a single pin, but may I suggest the Copper John Deadnuts MarkIII. I use mine for competitive shoots with no sight picture problems. My MarkIII has a full line of scope lens for helping on those long shots.

Remember to take your time and enjoy the sport of Archery and Good Luck!
    Hoyt Vector 32 29.5" draw 65#, QAD HDX, Copper John Dead Nuts III, B-Stinger
    Mathews Solo Cam FX 29.5" draw 70# (Ol' Faithful), Rip-Cord CR, Apex 3 pin, 8" stab

Samick Journey TD Recurve