Thread: 2013 Bow Review: Obsession Sniper LT

2013 Bow Review: Obsession Sniper LT

I got my hands on my first Sniper LT of the year last night, and did a little tuning. I thought that I would post up what I think about the bow for those who are interested. I'm not going to go into as much detail on this review because a lot of the characteristics are consistent with the Knightmare, in which I did a fairly detailed review on already.

Finish- Much like every other Obsession bow that I have seen, the finish is flawless. Kudos to Kolorfusion as they seem to have it going on with their finish. This bow is done in Predator Camo, and looks fantastic.

Sniper LT Pic.jpg

Specs- The factory specs on this bow are:
    ATA- 30-3/4"
    BH- 7"
    IBO- 330-338

I was a little disappointed with how the bow was shipped from the factory. The bow was shipped at the following specs:
    ATA-31-1/8"
    BH- 6-3/4"
    IBO-323-324

Of course you can see the ata and bh were off by 3/8" and 1/4", but I'll clarify on the other specs a little better. This bow has 28" mods on it, but actually measured 28-1/2", which is the longest I have ever seen an Obsession come in. It is a 60-70 lbs bow, and came in at 71.8 lbs. I made up a 358 grain arrow, and shot it through the chrono at 308 fps. At 28.5" dl, 71.8 lbs dw, and only a d-loop on the string, that puts the IBO at about 323-324 fps. Well off of the rated IBO speed.

Factory DL.jpg

Factory Chrono.jpg

I am not one to really worry about exact factory spec when I am tuning a bow, but I do believe that any bow should come from the factory at factory spec. Otherwise the manufacturer should change the bows specs to match the way they are being shipped out. I'm not labeling Obsession saying that every Sniper is being shipped out like this one, as this is the only one that I have seen so far. I'm just posting on the bow that I currently have in hand.

Tuning- When the bow fell so short on IBO I talked to the owner about it, and told him that in order to get this bow in spec and hopefully hit IBO, that he would probably need a new set of strings. He decided to go for it and gave me the go ahead to see what we could do.

When I got finished tuning the bow it was at almost exactly 28" dl, pulling the same 71.8 lbs, and shot the same 358 grain IBO arrow at 312 fps. This speed is with a loaded string, and 1/2" shorter draw length. This puts the IBO at about 336 fps. Much better!! The owner of this bow (who will probably chime in lol) was present during the tuning process, and saw first hand the changes that were made, and the resulting speed gains. One thing to note here is that the BH is still at 6-3/4" after the tune. This bow is not a true 7" brace height bow.

Tuned DL.jpg

Tuned Chrono.jpg

The bow paper tuned at 13/16" from the riser which is right down the center, as have the other Obsessions that I have tuned this year.

Feel- The Sniper LT is a very well balanced bow. At the shot this bow is much like the other Obsessions, very quiet, and with very little hand shock. Although I will say that the 2013 bows seem to have a little more vibe at the shot than the 2012's did. I didn't weigh the bow, but it is noticeably lighter than the other bows I have in here right now.

I'll have to say that when I saw the bow's performance from the factory, I was disappointed. But after some tuning the bow did hit it's IBO and even felt much better on the draw. The part that I am still disappointed in is the fact that new strings have to be installed for the bow to do what it is supposed to do. Having to pay for new strings on a brand new bow isn't cool. I have emailed Dennis and Angela, and sent them plenty of pics of before and after but haven't heard back from them yet. I think that they should send a new AB string and cable set, built to the lengths that I have, so that the bow will be what it is supposed to be. I'm sure that Dennis and Angela will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy, as I have ZERO complaints so far with their customer service.

Overall, I think that the Sniper LT is an awesome hunting bow. I think that you would be extremely pleased having this bow in a tree stand or ground blind with you. I hope to see many more of these bows, and I hope that they come from the factory spec'd out correctly and hitting IBO. Obsession seems to have a really solid lineup again this year.

Yes I'm gonna chime in. Lol. I agree with the OP and as of now this is my favorite of all 2013 BOWS of any brand I have shot or owned. Nice job and thanks again J.
    Stormy Hardwoods Green PSE Source. Hoyt Carbon Element G3. Scott Releases. Easton Da Torch Arrows QAD Rests Axcel Sights Ulmer Edge Steel Broadheads ARCHERY DOES NOT REQUIRE TRIGGER GUARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVaBuckHunter View Post
    I got my hands on my first Sniper LT of the year last night, and did a little tuning. I thought that I would post up what I think about the bow for those who are interested. I'm not going to go into as much detail on this review because a lot of the characteristics are consistent with the Knightmare, in which I did a fairly detailed review on already.

Finish- Much like every other Obsession bow that I have seen, the finish is flawless. Kudos to Kolorfusion as they seem to have it going on with their finish. This bow is done in Predator Camo, and looks fantastic.

Sniper LT Pic.jpg

Specs- The factory specs on this bow are:
    ATA- 30-3/4"
    BH- 7"
    IBO- 330-338

I was a little disappointed with how the bow was shipped from the factory. The bow was shipped at the following specs:
    ATA-31-1/8"
    BH- 6-3/4"
    IBO-323-324

Of course you can see the ata and bh were off by 3/8" and 1/4", but I'll clarify on the other specs a little better. This bow has 28" mods on it, but actually measured 28-1/2", which is the longest I have ever seen an Obsession come in. It is a 60-70 lbs bow, and came in at 71.8 lbs. I made up a 358 grain arrow, and shot it through the chrono at 308 fps. At 28.5" dl, 71.8 lbs dw, and only a d-loop on the string, that puts the IBO at about 323-324 fps. Well off of the rated IBO speed.

Factory DL.jpg

Factory Chrono.jpg

I am not one to really worry about exact factory spec when I am tuning a bow, but I do believe that any bow should come from the factory at factory spec. Otherwise the manufacturer should change the bows specs to match the way they are being shipped out. I'm not labeling Obsession saying that every Sniper is being shipped out like this one, as this is the only one that I have seen so far. I'm just posting on the bow that I currently have in hand.

Tuning- When the bow fell so short on IBO I talked to the owner about it, and told him that in order to get this bow in spec and hopefully hit IBO, that he would probably need a new set of strings. He decided to go for it and gave me the go ahead to see what we could do.

When I got finished tuning the bow it was at almost exactly 28" dl, pulling the same 71.8 lbs, and shot the same 358 grain IBO arrow at 312 fps. This speed is with a loaded string, and 1/2" shorter draw length. This puts the IBO at about 336 fps. Much better!! The owner of this bow (who will probably chime in lol) was present during the tuning process, and saw first hand the changes that were made, and the resulting speed gains. One thing to note here is that the BH is still at 6-3/4" after the tune. This bow is not a true 7" brace height bow.

Tuned DL.jpg

Tuned Chrono.jpg

The bow paper tuned at 13/16" from the riser which is right down the center, as have the other Obsessions that I have tuned this year.

Feel- The Sniper LT is a very well balanced bow. At the shot this bow is much like the other Obsessions, very quiet, and with very little hand shock. Although I will say that the 2013 bows seem to have a little more vibe at the shot than the 2012's did. I didn't weigh the bow, but it is noticeably lighter than the other bows I have in here right now.

I'll have to say that when I saw the bow's performance from the factory, I was disappointed. But after some tuning the bow did hit it's IBO and even felt much better on the draw. The part that I am still disappointed in is the fact that new strings have to be installed for the bow to do what it is supposed to do. Having to pay for new strings on a brand new bow isn't cool. I have emailed Dennis and Angela, and sent them plenty of pics of before and after but haven't heard back from them yet. I think that they should send a new AB string and cable set, built to the lengths that I have, so that the bow will be what it is supposed to be. I'm sure that Dennis and Angela will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy, as I have ZERO complaints so far with their customer service.

Overall, I think that the Sniper LT is an awesome hunting bow. I think that you would be extremely pleased having this bow in a tree stand or ground blind with you. I hope to see many more of these bows, and I hope that they come from the factory spec'd out correctly and hitting IBO. Obsession seems to have a really solid lineup again this year.

Ive had a few Obsessions land at my shop .. One batch was out of spec like this one with similar results . I called Dennis to let him know and he took care of the issue . The harnesses just stretched and settled . The tuner that prepped the bow obviously didnt settle the harness or did not properly spec the harness . I took the harness off the couple bows I had , twisted them into Spec and they all hit high into their advertised specs and IBO . No big issue for a dealer that knows how to tune properly . All the 13s Ive seen from obsession have hot their IBO minus the two I had to respec the harnesses , but they hit them easily .. I kinda expect this from factory run 8190 harness specs . The 2013 obsessions are very nice for sure and do hit IBO easily when tuned correctly .
    Served O.I.F 08-09

Sports Center Obsession , Elite , Bowtech and G5 Dealer
    Vicksburg , MS 601-638-4262

Quote Originally Posted by cmillett79 View Post
    Ive had a few Obsessions land at my shop .. One batch was out of spec like this one with similar results . I called Dennis to let him know and he took care of the issue . The harnesses just stretched and settled . The tuner that prepped the bow obviously didnt settle the harness or did not properly spec the harness . I took the harness off the couple bows I had , twisted them into Spec and they all hit high into their advertised specs and IBO . No big issue for a dealer that knows how to tune properly . All the 13s Ive seen from obsession have hot their IBO minus the two I had to respec the harnesses , but they hit them easily .. I kinda expect this from factory run 8190 harness specs . The 2013 obsessions are very nice for sure and do hit IBO easily when tuned correctly .
    I agree very nice BOWS but you shouldn't have to build new string and cables for a brand new bow just to meet advertised specs.
    Stormy Hardwoods Green PSE Source. Hoyt Carbon Element G3. Scott Releases. Easton Da Torch Arrows QAD Rests Axcel Sights Ulmer Edge Steel Broadheads ARCHERY DOES NOT REQUIRE TRIGGER GUARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmillett79 View Post
    Yes, the bows will hit their IBO when properly tuned. The lengths that I have for the string and cables do not match factory length. I will set the harness to exact factory lengths just to see if the bow does what it should at those lengths.

I also build strings, and have built a lot of string sets out of 8190 material. I have never seen a set settle/stretch this much, so I doubt that the string set settled that much during transit. These are factory strings,yes, but they are Americas Best strings which are a cut above most "factory" threads.

Good review. I like seeing reviews on equipment that is critical and not flattering.

I personally don't care for 8190. Idk what it was but in texas heat they walk a little bit.

What was the finished speed after new strings and properly spec'd out? It seems that IBO should be achievable given the speeds you posted.
    "Your Legacy is made between Yesterday and Tomorrow"
    "Here We Go Paw Paw!"-Shelby Stanga

Quote Originally Posted by jpd350 View Post
    I agree very nice BOWS but you shouldn't have to build new string and cables for a brand new bow just to meet advertised specs.
    You're right. Now go tell Mathews! Lol
    "Your Legacy is made between Yesterday and Tomorrow"
    "Here We Go Paw Paw!"-Shelby Stanga

I to am wondering about 8190 strings king being we have the heat and humidity in Illinois what string material you like I have noticed that 8190 wears fast after many shots....thanks steve
    2014 obsession addiction ???
    2014 obsession evolution 65/30 SH gunmetal
    Wolfhollow archery staff shooter, Gold Tip pro staff,Firenock pro staff
    Red arrow archery staff shooter,Hogwire custom strings staff

Quote Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
    Good review. I like seeing reviews on equipment that is critical and not flattering.

I personally don't care for 8190. Idk what it was but in texas heat they walk a little bit.

What was the finished speed after new strings and properly spec'd out? It seems that IBO should be achievable given the speeds you posted.
    I haven't put new threads on the bow yet. I just adjusted the factory strings, but when I got done they were so much different that I recommended new threads. The bow with the adjusted factory rigging came in at 312 Fps at 28" dl, 71.8 lbs with a 358 grain IBO arrow. IBO is about 336 the way it sits right now.