Thread: 2013-2014 PA Seasons

2013-2014 PA Seasons

Below is the link to the seasons adopted by the PGC for 2013-2014. Looks like for the most part the seasons are about a week later due to Thanksgiving falling so late in November this year. This should make the last 2 1/2 weeks of archery really good for seeing bucks on their feet.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e__026_13.html
    Mathews ZXT
    29" draw 62# draw weight
    Axion SSG Lite Stabilizer
    QAD HDX Rest
    Montana Black Gold Flashpoint Sight

Good to see the regular archery season start in October again and the firearms season start in December. The start dates had been so early in recent years. I know the dates haven't changed that much but like you said, hopefully the later start to archery will help with seeing more bucks cruising.

Nick spec reg starts sept 21st. 5c tags 103,000 they did nothing to help spec reg areas. Unreal

"Kill em' all" seems to be the mantra in our area Scott. Maybe some areas in 5C have excessive numbers of deer but not in the areas I hunt.

Not many changes

In 2B if you cannot get at least a doe there is something wrong being that the deer season basically runs from Sept 21 until Jan 25th and 60,000 doe permits.

Why so many tags,oh I know because it's all about money!! Take the early muzzleloader out,that completely ruins it for us Bowhunter's!
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    2012 Hoyt Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage95 View Post
    Why so many tags,oh I know because it's all about money!! Take the early muzzleloader out,that completely ruins it for us Bowhunter's!
    Maybe it makes the year special for someone else. Don't be so selfish...
    Keep smiling… It makes people wonder what you’ve been up to.

Well, that's your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyHOYT View Post
    Hunting shows have turned a once proud part of our heritage into a contest of inches. No wonder society sees hunting more and more in a negative light.

How am I selfish? Do you even hunt state game lands,if you don't you wouldn't know what I'm talking about! It's extremely difficult when 10 other hunters are in the area to compete with. Deer numbers are down,everybody knows it.Tell me this,PGC wants hunters to practice good deer management,then how can we do that if there is almost 900,000-1,000,000 tags being issued.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    2012 Hoyt Rampage

How am I selfish? Do you even hunt state game lands,if you don't you wouldn't know what I'm talking about! It's extremely difficult when 10 other hunters are in the area to compete with. Deer numbers are down,everybody knows it.Tell me this,PGC wants hunters to practice good deer management,then how can we do that if there is almost 900,000-1,000,000 tags being issued.
    What state game land is that. Blue Mountain - 10 hunters won't cover that. No deer . you need to do some research(walk). I forgot everybody wants to shoot a deer next to the road. Here in the Lehigh Valley . if you want deer you're going to have to hunt private property( if you want too many deer).

The regular archery season is 6 weeks. Early muzzleloader is one week and falls in the middle of archery so bowhuunters have at least 2-3 weeks of having the woods to themselves before and after muzzleloader. Appears there is plenty of time for bowhunters to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    "Kill em' all" seems to be the mantra in our area Scott. Maybe some areas in 5C have excessive numbers of deer but not in the areas I hunt.
    Your not the only one ^

If not far from you. I'm in Douglassville and it's pretty slim where I hunt. I think they're all in Chester County hiding in peoples back yards.

"Chasing Tail" Pennsylvania edition!!!
    Hoyt Rampage XT
    72 1/2# @ 28 1/2"

Haha yeah they're not all in Chester co. Either. Seems that no matter what the hunters say the pgc do what they want. I now just throw their surveys in the trash as filling them out seems to do nothing. I do see deer and I do do my "homework" but the deer are not around like the use to be. But hey we have bigger bucks now... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silent stalk View Post
    Your not the only one ^

If not far from you. I'm in Douglassville and it's pretty slim where I hunt. I think they're all in Chester County hiding in peoples back yards.

"Chasing Tail" Pennsylvania edition!!!

What's wrong with a few people here and there walking around. Get some of the deer up on their feet. The middle of the season usually sucks! I love having a couple people walking around to get deer out of their beds earlier. And yes I've hunted game lands and actually have seen some huge buck in game lands. There are deer everywhere gotta spend some time to find them
    Mathew MR7 at 29" and 71 lbs
    QUD HDX, Dead Center Archery Stabilizers, 5 Pin Axcel Armortech HD Pro or AX3000 with Axcel X31 Scope, KTech String Stop
    Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff
    ,Dead Center Archery Factory Pro Staff, Firenock Shooting Staff, Axcel Sights Pro Staff, TruBall Pro Staff, Ramcat Broadheads Pro Staff

WOW - guess I am in the minority of those who posted from areas close to me....I hunt in the Chester Springs area and can pretty much take a doe at will come fall...I let three buck in the 130-class walk last year with the hope that they would make it through the orange army, winter, and insane traffic, and I could get a crack this fall at a 140+....(we'll have to wait and see about that). Before someone jumps to a conclusion most of my hunting is done on public land than anyone can access, I do have a small private parcel, but to be honest, that is primarily used as an access point. I agree with LVarcher, you might have to get off the beaten path a little, but it is well worth it....one of the top 5 biggest PA buck I've ever seen was in Marsh Creek this fall....anyone in the area could hunt there, another in the top 5 was in French Creek LAST season, anyone could hunt there too....in fact, that buck was harvested this year 172" on public land land not far from where I spotted him last year....

I do have to say the ONLY thing that bothers me about the muzzleloader season is the amount of folks that I have to deal with who do tresspass at this time. Like I said I have a small private lot, during the muzzloader week, I reign myself in and stay on this private area or on the fringe, and I have to walk guys off at least 2-3 times and it is only 6-days worth of huntng. I don't lump all muzzle-loaders into this category and perhaps they are sneaking in the during the archery season and I am missing them, but that is the most troubling part of those 6-days for me...

Good luck this fall guys, I agree...two weeks in November should be HOT!

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

Quote Originally Posted by 12-Ringer View Post
    WOW - guess I am in the minority of those who posted from areas close to me....I hunt in the Chester Springs area and can pretty much take a doe at will come fall...I let three buck in the 130-class walk last year with the hope that they would make it through the orange army, winter, and insane traffic, and I could get a crack this fall at a 140+....(we'll have to wait and see about that). Before someone jumps to a conclusion most of my hunting is done on public land than anyone can access, I do have a small private parcel, but to be honest, that is primarily used as an access point. I agree with LVarcher, you might have to get off the beaten path a little, but it is well worth it....one of the top 5 biggest PA buck I've ever seen was in Marsh Creek this fall....anyone in the area could hunt there, another in the top 5 was in French Creek LAST season, anyone could hunt there too....in fact, that buck was harvested this year 172" on public land land not far from where I spotted him last year....

I do have to say the ONLY thing that bothers me about the muzzleloader season is the amount of folks that I have to deal with who do tresspass at this time. Like I said I have a small private lot, during the muzzloader week, I reign myself in and stay on this private area or on the fringe, and I have to walk guys off at least 2-3 times and it is only 6-days worth of huntng. I don't lump all muzzle-loaders into this category and perhaps they are sneaking in the during the archery season and I am missing them, but that is the most troubling part of those 6-days for me...

Good luck this fall guys, I agree...two weeks in November should be HOT!

Joe
    I think some people would be surprised to see the caliber of deer on public land in the 5C area if they put in the time. Two seasons ago, I jumped a whopper bedded in the weeds with a doe at midday on one of the public lands you referenced.

I've seen good buck sign in French Creek but never saw the big boy making it. However, I've seen some good numbers of does through out the park but even they seem to move off into the no hunting zones during the season. 172" huh... Son of *****!!!
    Hoyt Rampage XT
    72 1/2# @ 28 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Silent stalk View Post
    172" huh... Son of *****!!!
    Best part of the story behind that buck....old timer who reports hunting the same tree-stump for 30 years and never seeing a good buck took him with a crossbow at 15 yards...wish I would have thought to snap a picture or two, but when he asked for some help with a buck he had shot I was quick to throw on the knee high rubber boots and the coveralls over my suit. When we walked up on the buck, I about passed out, the look on the hunter's face was priceless.....I didn't ask, but I am guessing he was in his 70's, he held the back leg as I dressed the deer and moved some branches out the of way as I dragged it to his truck for him (at least it was all down hill). I was gald to be a part of that special moment for that fellow.

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps