Archery Talk Forum banner

How to balance a target bow, and where to buy stabilizer weight screws?

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Bullseyenail 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have searched but have not found any info on how to balance a target bow with a front and side stabilizer? I pretty much am using the weight that my bow shop had screws for. On my follow through by bow falls back to me not forward. I have 3oz of weight in the front and like 15oz on the side. Also They don't carry the screws at my pro shop, can I get them at Ace hardware or? Lancaster doesn't have them listed in the search either. I saw the "bow balancer" advertised on here but I am sure there is another way. Any help or at home how to would be great.

#2 ·
If you have a off brand of stabilizers then you may have trouble until you go to their website and order their weights. If you have one of the big companies such as b stinger or doinker then you aren't looking hard enough. I personally shoot b-stingers and I am using sockets from my garage as weights so either look harder or get creative.

#3 ·
Secondly 15 ounces out back and only 3 ounces up front sounds to heavy out back so move some of them forward until you get a better feel. Balancing a bow is only a starting point, you are looking for a combination that gives you the least amount of float possible is the key to setting up your stabilizers and starting out balanced is a good starting point. Many guys are finding a little heavy back end helps me personally I added weight over and over to the front and back and made a really heavy setup and I love it. I think mine is a little back heavy.

#4 ·
I use about 4oz on front with a 33.5" bar and around 16oz on a 15" side bar. Not too far off of what you have. It works for me. You need to find out what size set screws to use with the weights and then head over to Ace Hardware (or any hardware store) and pick up some different lengths. For a few bucks it will allow you to set up any weight combination you want with the weights you have. Don't hesitate to use things around the house like Padgett mentions. It's an easy and cheap way to see if more weight will help lessen your float. I used a stack of washers before I decided to order more weights.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Goe to the hardware store and by a box of fender washers and a long bolt then ad or subtract til you get it right. When your done weight the washers then order the weights from your stab maker.

#7 ·
Exactly.

Early stabilizer experiment I did years ago.

Lots of "stabilizer weights" at your local hardware store.

Buy a box of 100 pieces of fender washers,
and the appropriate size bolt.

The bolt will either be 5/16-24 or 1/4-20
that will fit the end of your stabilizer.

Experiment with the weight in front
experiment with the weight in back,
and keep playing with the weight balance front and back,
until YOU are happy with your arrow group size.

#11 ·
If one were to use this balancer would your bow not need any other adjustments to get the best possible float?

#12 ·
IMO, it’s best to balance the bow at full draw and adjust weight to control float rather than trying to get the bow level at rest. Up/down movement is controlled by the front stab. Side to side movement is controlled by the back/side rod. Setting it up right is very user specific.

#17 ·
Remember that you have to add back-weight to compensate for your sight and scope.

To balance a bare bow, the back is typically 2-3 times the weight on the front (depending on length ratio). After that, you need to add 3-5 oz on the back to offset the sight mass.

For example, I use a 30" front, 12" back. Without a sight, my bow balances with 3 oz up front, and 8 oz in back. With a sight and scope, I need 12-13 oz in back.

#18 ·
I have the weight balanced just as you described and that seems to work but on my follow through my bow does not fall forward, it kind of stays in place or even falls back to me. I am shooting really good groups but if I can shoot better I would like to. Thanks for all of the feedback it has really helped!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.