Thread: Chaos Turkey Hunt

Chaos Turkey Hunt

Well, I got out in the woods yesterday morning well before daylight. I checked a couple of spots and had located a gobbler along the edge of a creek, using an owl call. I made my way down to the edge of a field that borders the creek and set up. I soon realized that there were 2 gobblers one to my right and one directly in front of me, both on the opposite side of the creek. I used some soft calling every 10 minutes are so to keep them interested. The one to my right was a lot more vocal, he could not get done with one gobble before letting out another one. But the one directly in front of me sounded a lot closer. After about 30 minutes of keeping them fired up, I decided to try and coax one in. Using my hand I smacked my leg imitating a fly down sound. I then perfomed one more set of calls, then I heard one of the gobblers fly down. As soon as he hit the ground he shut up and would not make a sound. Well as old birds will do he circled me and got behind me. When I realized what he was doing it was game over! I slowly tried to turn around and heard the sound we all hate...putt..putt! I never even got to see him.

Turkey Call.jpg
    One of my favorite Slate calls.

Well, after the second gobbler started driffting further away, I decided to move from that location. I began walking the property and stopping every hundred yards or so to sit down and call for a few minutes. I have to say, while doing this type of hunting the Chaos was awesome. The Lo-Ready sling is my new best friend. It made carrying the Chaos up and down hills, and through hardwoods a piece of cake! If i needed to stop and call or glass the fields, I could just let the Chaos hang and rest against me. Having the Lo-Ready sling really cut down on fatigue allowing me to do more walking and hunting.

camx Turkey hunt.jpg

My chaos with a wildgame action cam mounted on the scope.

After having no sucess walking most of the property, I decided to head to a ground blind I had set up earlier. I set up my B-mobile decoy and 2 hen decoys in the edge of the field. I settle into my blind that was placed about 15 yards inside the woods. I began calling every 10 minutes are so. After about 20 minutes I caught movement around my decoys. There was a hen making her way around the edge of the field. I watched her cut down into the woods about 50 yards from my blind. While I was leaned forward watching the hen, I heard a noise to my left. There he was, as all animals seem to do he had appeared out of now where. The gobbler was right at 25 yards away, and was turned going away from me. I leaned up for a shot and had to turn hard right due to a tree limb. I settled the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger on my Chaos. I watch as the turkey jumped and trotted about 10 yards. He then began walking as if nothing had happened. DANG! Did i miss? I nocked another arrow but could not get a follow up shot. I watched him for as far as i could until he disappeared into a thicket. I finally got up and retrieved my arrow...no blood. I then found 3 or 4 feathers with blood. It appears I just grazed him. I spent about an hour searching for anymore sign to be on the safe side but found no sign. A very sick feeling to have everything come together and not follow through on my end. So while the Chaos performed flawlessly in everway...I failed to do my part. The Chaos has truely grown on me after this hunt. Its design is top notch for any hunting situation. From the Lo-Ready sling i mentinoned before to the flat bottom that kept my time in the ground blind comfortable. I never found the red thumbsavers to be an issue, and loved that I was able to quickly hand cock the bow to prepare for a follow up shot. The Chaos has quickly risen to the top of my list as my favorite crossbow I have owned.

- See more at: http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/....F3zhOWp9.dpuf[ATTACH=CONFIG]1652710

CONRAD

CAMX CHAOS 325
    ACCUSPINES
    125 GRAIN SPITFIRE MAXX
    TENPOINT STEALTH XLT

Very nice!! Sorry your bird got away but I bet the experience got the juices flowing right? LOL Fun stuff!!
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Stryker Solution LS 390

great story.
    similar thing happened to me this morning. i opted not to start out in the blind and it got the best of me. i only use a bow so i have to stand or be on my knees when not in the blind so when a hen and tom approached my decoys from a direction i wasnt ready for i spooked them trying to adjust.
    i know they're are guys on hear that swear by running and gunning with a bow but it dosent work for me. plus 15-20 minutes on your knees hurts, its hard to stay still when im uncomfortable.
    2013 Hoyt G3 Element, Alpha V5 Micro, QAD HDX
    Victory arrows, Carbon Express, Easton FMJ, Tight spot

great story.
    similar thing happened to me this morning. i opted not to start out in the blind and it got the best of me. i only use a bow so i have to stand or be on my knees when not in the blind so when a hen and tom approached my decoys from a direction i wasnt ready for i spooked them trying to adjust.
    i know they're are guys on hear that swear by running and gunning with a bow but it dosent work for me. plus 15-20 minutes on your knees hurts, its hard to stay still when im uncomfortable.
    2013 Hoyt G3 Element, Alpha V5 Micro, QAD HDX
    Victory arrows, Carbon Express, Easton FMJ, Tight spot