Thread: Archery in Boy Scouts

Archery in Boy Scouts

Recently I have become an adult leader of my Boy Scout troop. Our troop has acquired some additional funding and we are considering purchasing some archery tackle for the troop. The boys' ages range anywhere from 10-17. I was pretty much set on the Genesis. Any other opinions? Also would Mathews be able to offer any sort of discount being that the bows were for Boy Scouting? Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys! Really hoping to make a few bowhunters out of this bunch of kids!

Diamond Outlaw 65# 29.5"
    HHA Optimizer single-pin sight & QAD UltraRest LD
    NAP Apache 8" Stab
    Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak Selects with Rage 100gr. Hypodermics
    Blazer vanes w/ 3 degree helical

Anybody have any experience with Genesis Bows? Or any experience with NASP?
    Diamond Outlaw 65# 29.5"
    NAP Apache 8" Stab

The district council or camp probably has bows which the troop can use. It's a big project - need bows, arrows, wrist guards, targets and a safe place to shoot. The local shop here has a troop use the range and shop equipment occasionally. I volunteer to help scouts get their archery merit badges at the shop a few times every year. Works well.
    Genio 7 by W&W Black, CXL-55 by Carbon Express, Sure Loc Supreme sight, Extreme scope, Ripcord Code Red, Stan MagMicro 3, Cartel Carbon Stabilizer

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cbmac View Post
    The district council or camp probably has bows which the troop can use. It's a big project - need bows, arrows, wrist guards, targets and a safe place to shoot. The local shop here has a troop use the range and shop equipment occasionally. I volunteer to help scouts get their archery merit badges at the shop a few times every year. Works well.
    That's awesome. For the past decade or so the troop has been building up our inventory so that we can do all of the shooting sports "in-house". We have several troop shotguns and rifles, as well as several NRA certified range officers. The last step in obtaining all of the equipment needed for the "trifecta" of shooting sports is to acquire a few bows and the equipment necessary to use them (finger tabs, arm guards, arrows, etc.). We already have a safe location in which to shoot them. From the research I've done, it looks like the Genesis is going to fit our needs the best due to us having such a wide variety of shooters. I was looking into ordering the bows/equipment through NASP, as they are able to give a discount for non-profit organizations such as the BSA. Also on their order form, they include the option to order armguards, targets, arrows, etc. as well as the bows themselves.
    Diamond Outlaw 65# 29.5"
    NAP Apache 8" Stab

Has anybody else have any info on ordering through NASP?
    Diamond Outlaw 65# 29.5"
    NAP Apache 8" Stab

Sounds like a well funded troop. genesis is a great choice.
    Genio 7 by W&W Black, CXL-55 by Carbon Express, Sure Loc Supreme sight, Extreme scope, Ripcord Code Red, Stan MagMicro 3, Cartel Carbon Stabilizer

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by." Douglas Adams

I ran the archery part of the adventure crew field day last year at our club. They shot genesis bows that they brought from council. They also brought targets since the Boy Scouts said no animal targets.
    They also shot handgun & rifle at the event. It was a great day with over 100 kids & their parents.

I forgot : the Boy Scouts also require level 1 instructors on the Archery range. 1 person also had to be Boy Scout RSO trained. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
    I forgot : the Boy Scouts also require level 1 instructors on the Archery range. 1 person also had to be Boy Scout RSO trained. Hope this helps.
    Yes this does help. We have several RSO's in our troop. What exactly is a "level 1 instructor" though?
    Diamond Outlaw 65# 29.5"
    NAP Apache 8" Stab

Quote Originally Posted by MDJB12 View Post
    Yes this does help. We have several RSO's in our troop. What exactly is a "level 1 instructor" though?
    USA archery certifies instructors. Level1-level5. Level1 being a basic beginners instructor & level 5 an olympic coach. you can ask the Boy Scouts, they may give the courses or look up USA archery's web site & find one near you.

Our Council works with a company called Hall's Arrow http://www.hallsarrow.com/ . We typically use the wood handled take down recurves they offer in the camp catalog. The prices seem to be pretty good and the equipment has proven to be durable (Scouts can be pretty hard on equipment at times). I purchased one of the same bows for my son to use and it served him very well in 4H and other competitions. Hall's also has Genesis bows too. Good luck. I am happy to see a troop developing its own shooting sports program.