a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: React sight from Trophy Ridge

React sight from Trophy Ridge

Any use the new React sight from Trophy Ridge yet?
    What do you think about it?

Boogskieter
    Pro-Staff Shooter - Steelforce Broadheads
    South Africa
    2010 Martin Shadowcat

I just got one the other day. I'm no expert by any means. But this sight is great. Sighted it in per their instructional video and am hitting dead center at about 40 yards so far. Going to the range later today, and I'll try it at 50 and 60 yards. To me, it was well worth the money. Real easy to adjust.

Re: React sight from Trophy Ridge

Let know how it goes.
    Boogskieter
    Pro-Staff Shooter - Steelforce Broadheads
    South Africa
    2010 Martin Shadowcat

Mine came in this afternoon along with my new NAP Apache Carbon rest. Pretty cool sight. Easy to tune. I only ran maybe 30 arrows through it and I've got everything in the 5 ring. I've still got some tuning to do to get it into the X. It should be real easy to set the rest of the pins now. I just need the snow to clear so I can get to the outdoor range. I'm not super stoked on the light. It seemed to have a little vibration that produced a noise. That didn't happen until I was just about to leave and a friend of mine was tinkering with the light. It could be really minor. I just haven't taken the time to check it out as I had to rush out to get to work.

It will be interesting to see how this sight works beyond 60 yards. I would think with the math involved, it would be easier to stack more accurately than with a traditional 5-pin sight. The onlyl downfall I see with this sight is that you can't add any pins to it....and it doesn't come in skull camo!

Pros - Easy setup, nice finish, nice pins, relatively affordable.
    Cons - I haven't had it on long enough to find them, but I'm sure they are there.
    Juneau, AK
    2011 Hoyt Carbon Element - QAD HDX rest, AXT Carbon Carnivore, Golt Tip Series 22 arrows
    50# Samick Sage

I have one and i absolutely love it. I haven't shot enough long distance in the past to be comfortable trying to sight in a long pin, but with the react I can now shoot long without fear of not knowing where my arrow is going. It really is great. The only thing to check for is make sure your bow is shooting over 240 fps (most do)...anything less than that and the math that creates the pin gaps doesn't hold. The only con I've heard is it is a fairly large housing, so weight is hair more than others, and if you want your peep to outline the sight, you have to use a larger peep. I use a 3/16" and it works just fine. Highly recommend this sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan5 View Post
    The only thing to check for is make sure your bow is shooting over 240 fps (most do)...anything less than that and the math that creates the pin gaps doesn't hold.
    Tex, I hadn't heard that one and I didn't see anyting on the Trophy Ridge page about that. Do you know if that is true or if it is just opinion? I ask because I'm shooting at 60# with a 25.5" DL. On my last bow, shooting the same weight/dl/arrow, I was at 232. I haven't run this one through the chrono yet, so I don't know what my spead is.
    Juneau, AK
    2011 Hoyt Carbon Element - QAD HDX rest, AXT Carbon Carnivore, Golt Tip Series 22 arrows
    50# Samick Sage

Yes, shooting below 240 is an issue. My wife has it on her Infinite Edge with a 24.5" DL and 47lbs DW. Soooo,... the second pin can't really be set for 30 yards. She shoots too slow. The other pins are mechanically attached to the second pin and they bottom out before the second pin reached low enough. Her second pin is therefore set to 27 yards. Third pin is 34 yards. Forth pin is 41 yards. etc.

You can set any increment you want with the sight. We might just go for 5 yards per pin but she wants to be able to hit 50 yards so we are at 7 yards increment.

I am not sure how long she will keep the sight before giving it to me. I think it is a really heavy for a sight since we are use to the RAK sight that came with the bow.

It sounds great but I can't help wondering how the sight is able to be that precise from one bow to another or from one arrow weight to another. Seems to me if it automatically adjusts your 50 pin and you're dead nuts with a 350 grain arrow it would shoot low if you switched to a 400 grain arrow. And since the sight has no way of knowing how fast your bow is shooting I don't see how it could automatically set those 50 and 60 pins since a 350 fps bow is obviously going to shoot a little flatter than for example a bow that shoots 280. What am I missing here?

It works based on a ratio. That is why you have to set the 20 yard pin first the move out to 30. When you turn the knob on top of the sight. all but the 20 pin moves. The 60 pins moves alot more than the 30 pin does.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    It sounds great but I can't help wondering how the sight is able to be that precise from one bow to another or from one arrow weight to another. Seems to me if it automatically adjusts your 50 pin and you're dead nuts with a 350 grain arrow it would shoot low if you switched to a 400 grain arrow. And since the sight has no way of knowing how fast your bow is shooting I don't see how it could automatically set those 50 and 60 pins since a 350 fps bow is obviously going to shoot a little flatter than for example a bow that shoots 280. What am I missing here?
    You'd have to resight 2 of the pins after changing arrow/draw weight...the great part is you only have to resight 2 pins instead of 5
    ______________________________ ____________
    2013 Elite Answer Predator Brown Deception/smooth mods-60lbs-28.5"
    2014 Obsession Evolution Stormy Hardwoods/70lbs-28.5"

Quote Originally Posted by treetops View Post
    You'd have to resight 2 of the pins after changing arrow/draw weight...the great part is you only have to resight 2 pins instead of 5
    I get that part. Not trying to be difficult here I'm just confused. Wouldn't the ratio be slightly different for different bows?

Re: React sight from Trophy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    I get that part. Not trying to be difficult here I'm just confused. Wouldn't the ratio be slightly different for different bows?
    Has nothing to do with the bow. It is all based on the speed. I thought it might be different with different arrows. Like a heavier arrow might loose speed at a different rate than a light one. But it seemed to work. I was able to get it sighted in with my FMJs and then with my black eagle carnivores that weigh almost half. It is a pretty sweet sight. The toolless adjustments are very nice also. I wish it was available in a 7 pin. That is the only reason I got rid on mine. There would probably be even more people having problems getting the pins to fit though.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Blackxpress.....yes its actually pretty simple....it doesnt matter what weight arrow,just as long as its over 240 fps. Sight it in for 20 and 30 yrds and the other pins are calculated by the pin gap between your 20 and 30.

I'm sure there's an engineer that can explain the whole thing way better than I can. Though I did show it to an engineer last night and he didn't get it either. Once you set your 20 and then sight in your 30, there's some math in the screws and widgets inside the sight that basically say, "if this bow shot this arrow at 20 yards and then the arrow fell this far at 30 yards, then it is going to fall at a particular ration and 40 50 and 60 yards. Now, just like any site, if you change arrow weight or draw weight, you're going to have to sight in again. But once you get your 20 and 30 set, the oompaloompas inside the sight do the rest of the math. Simple, huh?
    Juneau, AK
    50# Samick Sage

I am using the React sight on a slow bow (See signature). Have no idea of the chroneo speeds with it set at 60lbs. I have several weights of arrows. With 350gr arrows, the pins max out at the 10 yd interval. With 425 grain arrows, its about 8 yd intervals. When using with the heavier arrows, it works out close to 25' intervals (actually about 27') If I wanted to max at 50 yds, I would set the first pin at 50' rather than 60 (20 yds) so the pins would be at 50', 75, 100, 125, and 150.

The pin gaps distances are based on the rate of gravity, which means everything falling increases the drop speed by about 33 feet times the number of seconds squared. When considering arrow speed, we are talking less than a second at most common distances, It figures out to an arrow dropping about 2 feet the first 1/4 second, 8 feet the first 1/2 second, and 18 feet in the first 3/4 second. Doesn't matter whether you base your initial intervals on yds, feet, or meters, it will work good enough for game hunting and back yard target shooting. Don't know if it would be accurate enough for a money target shoot.

With my 31" ata bow and a 27.5" dl, I am just barely getting by with a 1/4" peep with the sight set as far fwd as I can get it. I may try a 5/16 to get a better outside sight ring picture.

I had to shim mine to get the pins parallel to the riser. I do not like the green,green, red, green, green pin color scheme. I occasionally pic out the wrong green pin when shooting at 50 yds. sending the arrow about 3' high. wish they had alternated the colors or better yet, made two of the greens yellow. All the auto/micro-adjustments + a light, add up as weight. It is a heavy sight, so will affect your bow's balance. Mine is the black version, so it is hard to see the windage graduations when adjusting in low light (like a cloudy day).

Not sorry I bought it, as it is really convenient when I change arrow weights, and it also gave me more confidence that my sights were close when I first moved back to 40, 50 and 60 yds (before I could hold a tight enough group to really set a sight pin). For someone "moving back" to increase their skills, that feature is a great big plus.

Hope some of his helps, OP

Go
    Elite Answer, 60lb, 28 DL
    PSE XF DreamSeason HF, 60lb, 28 DL

I've been using the React sight for over two months now - shooting it with a 26.5" DL and 65# DW. Setup is as easy as it claims. It's been a great sight, but here's what I've learned with it though ...

1) Setup - Dial in the 20yd pin just right. Move out to 30yd and fine tune the 30yd pin from there. Unless you can hold real tight groups past 30 yds, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to micro-adjust elevation and windage further out. From there, it's pretty much set and go. I've tested it at 40, 50 and 60 and it's dead accurate. When it's not, it's usually the shooter. It's a great tool though for any archer trying to stretch out their range and needs a sight they can trust. Again, because I can trust that the sights are dialed in, I know it's pretty much form adjustments when I'm off at the longer ranges.

2) Pins - The pins are .019 fiber optic and pretty darn bright. On bright days, you can get quite a bit of halo effect. They do feel a little larger though and they tend to cover the target - ESPECIALLY at the longer ranges. I wish at the 40, 50 & 60 yd pins they had dialed the pins down to .010 diameter. (For those shooting at these ranges, you'll know what I mean.)

3) Hunting vs Target - The React is on my hunting bow, but I've found myself shooting it more for targets. As a hunting scope, it's top notch. If you're hoping it works as a target scope, you'll probably be disappointed or quickly outgrow it. Just not enough fine tuning, adjustability or secure clicks with the adjustment knobs. I find myself constantly wanting to adjust elevation and windage depending on the conditions, my form, and my obsession with getting tighter groups. It's not the sight's fault, it just wasn't meant for this kind of constant tweaking. As a hunting scope, I'd probably choose it every time though.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    Blackxpress.....yes its actually pretty simple....it doesnt matter what weight arrow,just as long as its over 240 fps. Sight it in for 20 and 30 yrds and the other pins are calculated by the pin gap between your 20 and 30.
    OK. That makes sense. Duh.

I bought mine this last Saturday, only sighted in the 20 yard pin (didn't have enough time or room to do the 30 yd pin yet), but already I am shooting way more accurate than I was before! I can't wait to get it out to a range and shoot longer distances. When I hunt pigs at night, this sight is going to be dangerous! I love the sight so far. It's been real quick and easy to set up, but again, I haven't had the chance to sight it out past 20 yards...but so far...so good!

I have the T/R Judge, same sight but all aluminum, on a dovetail (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) I bought it new off Flea-Bay for less than the react, brand new, but still a couple of years old. I sighted the 20,30 yard pins per instructions-no problem, everything else was fine out to 60. Then, i bought some lighter arroes for 3-D shooting only, and my speed of my bow went up about 35 feet per sec.

I reset my 20,30 yard pins, but my 40-60 were high? I actually read the instructions?????? (rare for me) and moved the sight out a couple of holes on the extension, all is good now. Without a moveable dovetail mount you would have to unbolt the sight ( and then bolt back on) and move it when you gain or loose speed. Look on Fle-Bay for sellers that have "buy it now OR best offer" I got mine w/a sight light for less than $100. cheers--BB

I've had mine for a month and a half now. Love it, super easy to set up. Fine tuning is a snap too.
    One question I had though, I found I had to drift my windage so the sight was as far left as it would go to get my groups to center in the bull. Would anyone suggest that it is just the way my now shoots or possibly operator error in the way I'm holding.

I'm shooting a 2012 Martin Cougar FC with Nitro Cams, Nap Apache Carbon rest. Bow set at 70lbs. Release is an older Cobra caliper release.

I put one on my bow at the beginning of the season. I love it. Works exactly as advertised and actually shooting better groups then ever. Takes the guess work out of setting every pin and boosts long range shoot confidence! Since I've started using the sight I shoot at 60 yards every time I shoot. Makes the 30-40 yard shots extremely comfortable.

I like mine it works just as advertised no complaints I would get another if needed.
    2012 Strother SX Rush

I was going to get one, because it is easy to set up the longer range pins. At the time I didn't have any experience setting up sight pins and it was easy. I went to the local shop and played with one. The problem for me and why i no longer like them is I don't like the feel. Feels cheap and fragile to me. Which is something I dont want on my bow when I go shooting. I want something that is going to hold up. I also was talking to the pro's at the shop and talked to some others later that agreed with the guys at the shop, is that not every bow and arrow combination will follow their ballistic trajectory idea. The gaping ratio sometimes changes more or less than what they sight allows for. That is the main reason I am looking elsewhere for my next sight.

My friend is saving his pennies to pick up this sight. Looks interesting but I wonder how accurately the pin gap works out when you shoot something other than the typical carbon arrow with 2" vanes.

If you shoot two arrows that are identical in weight and launch speed but one shoots a 2" vane and the other has 4" helical feathers how can the sight accommodate the differing rates of drag and drop?

Anybody try it out?

Got mine today 20 shots and I am sighted in ready to hunt Elite Hunter 2013 65 lbs QAD HDX rest Easton Axis arrows solid broadheads