a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Upgrading the Samick Sage

Upgrading the Samick Sage

So about 3 weeks ago, I got in the Samick Sage I ordered to learn archery on. It was an excellent bow from the start, I got the 35# 62" Sage, and its been a great bow to learn on. That being said, there were a few things I didn't like, such as the noise level, and the stock string. I went to 3riversarchery.com and started looking to see what I could get to improve the noise of the bow and see what a better string would cost. I didn't want to spend alot of money as I'd spent quite a bit getting set up to learn archery, and I didn't know what to expect cost wise, which is why I figured I'd write this out for others. I got a 58" Fast Flight flemish twist string as it comes highly recommended for the sage, an aluminum T-Square to set my brace height for my new string, a 5 pack of nocks for my string, a pair of green puff ball silencers, a pack of sticky back felt for the riser and limb tips and some brush buttons for when I stump shoot. All of this cost me less than $50.00 at 3rivers, and GREATLY improved the noise level and feel of the shot. I love the fast flight string, I seem to get a much better release, and better groupings. Hope this helps someone out there who was being driven nuts by the noise of the sage like I was, or just wants to improve their bow.

Samick Polaris 30#
    Samick Sage 35#
    Pluviophile- A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind in the rain.
    Nemophilist- One who is fond of forest or forest scenery; a haunter of the woods.
    Bibliophile- A lover of reading, one who is fond of books.

Upgrading the Samick Sage

Good stuff, I will be doing the same here shortly.

I have a Samick Journey, same as Sage but with larger limbs. I bought Velcro from Home Depot and I used the soft side where the limbs attach to, in the riser, and also where the string touches the limb. Haven't tried whiskers or better string though. The riser came with a 'stick on' arrow rest so that's what I am using and been wondering how shooting from the shelf would feel.

Nopsled- I've shot from the shelf as long as i've had the bow, and this is my first bow so I can't tell you if what the difference in feel is. I can tell you that spending $15 or so on a new string would noticeably improve your bow. The Journey, like the Sage, comes with a stock Dacron string that they put on all their bows, and is generally best for a 50-60# bow. If your shooting something lighter than that, i'd pick up a better string. I went with a Fast Flight Flemish Twist, and for me it meant a smoother release, and a quieter shot, plus a faster arrow.
    Samick Polaris 30#
    Samick Sage 35#
    Pluviophile- A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind in the rain.
    Nemophilist- One who is fond of forest or forest scenery; a haunter of the woods.
    Bibliophile- A lover of reading, one who is fond of books.

5. Same here, new Sage with 25lbs draw. Added soft Velcro to risers where string hits, and the after several sessions added rubber string whiskers. The combo of whiskers plus the Velcro almost completely silenced the bow. I think the Flemish string should come standard on the bow, because everyone chooses that as their first upgrade.

Only mod to my 40# sage is the flipper II arrow rest. The bow quieted down when I twisted the string enough to reach an 8" brace height.
    been using 29" Easton Jazz arrows(1816) 4" feathers, very smooth flight, and fast.( I need to get out the chronograph for real numbers) I jury rigged the flipper rest, but it's producing 6-7 " twenty yard groups after only a few days. Great all around bow.P8020030.jpgP8020031.jpg

Do you happen to know if brace height affects the draw weight/arrow speed?