Archery Talk Forum banner

removing fletching on Carbon Express CXL pros

788 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GWFH 
#1 ·
how are you guys stripping the CXL's down for refletching?

went to strip one down with my normal technique, and damaged the carbon in the process
I always use a zip strip to knock the fletch off, then scrape with a DULL razor blade (dull, as in drag across hand without cutting)
this is my first time dealing with cxl's, and I have very little experience with carbon express (although I have fletched and refletched thousands of arrows over years)

these are fletched with flex fletch......primed with zing, glued with Easton glue

seems I need something to soften the glue up

friend that's now shooting them said the same issue, otherwise would have blamed myself for being too aggressive (don't think I am)

#2 ·
The razor blades even when dull can cause a problem since the blade is so thin it can dig in.

I use a VERY dull knife...I have been using the same knife as my arrow scraper for over 10 years. I could sharpen the thing for 2 hours and it wouldn't put an edge on it sharp enough to cut paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
thanks

never had an issue with these same dull blades on any other shaft
I'm thinking I need to find a crappier glue
The Easton glue Im using seems to be hanging onto the shaft better. Makes sense that the glue is sinking into the pockets created by the weave

Just did 3 more tonite, and it was a royal pain. I did try a dull knife and it wasn't enough to pull the FF base off.
Might try a flex bond, or fletch tite type glue on the next

FWIW I ran a strip of glue down a cutoff and it scraped much easier than the vanes. It seems the base being 'welded' is creating the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.