Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frigid Forage Big-N-Beasty

Frigid Forage Big-N-Beasty

We're gonna take a shot at planting two 1/3-1/4 acre food plots this summer and are thinking about planting this. We won't have access to equipment to till the ground, but we do have enough people and determination to rake it up and get decent seed-to-soil contact. Has anyone tried this stuff? How well does it grow? Any tips on planting?

Elite Answer
    Trophy Ridge Cypher, Limbdriver Pro V, Stokerized Hunter, TightSpot Quiver, Deer Crossing Archery SD Hunters

I used it a couple of years ago. I had weed issue's. the deer loved it, but I don't think I got the best results due to the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by joesandi View Post
    I used it a couple of years ago. I had weed issue's. the deer loved it, but I don't think I got the best results due to the weeds.
    So what would you do differently? Spray another time before planting? At least the deer love it!
    Elite Answer
    Trophy Ridge Cypher, Limbdriver Pro V, Stokerized Hunter, TightSpot Quiver, Deer Crossing Archery SD Hunters

Paul has some good info on planting brassica's in his thread here if you have time to do some reading. He covers everything from prep to seeding rates. You can also buy from welter seed if you dont want to pay for the picture of the buck that they put on that bag. I think if there is a weed problem it probably wasn't sprayed enough.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpB...e45c7ba3e67b4b

Thanks for the info!
    Elite Answer

Anyone else?
    Elite Answer

Quote Originally Posted by WI Buck Chaser View Post
    So what would you do differently? Spray another time before planting? At least the deer love it!
    I didn't spray, that was the issue. It got late so I disked it under and planted. Will plant again after this year. Planting RR corn and soybeans to help with weeds.

I don't think that's summer plot material. Good advice on asking Paul he knows his stuff and he's probably too humble. Welters is where we buy our forage radishes and dwarf essex rape. Then we just get cheap purple tops locally. That combo will compete with any buck on bag product out there! Honestly though if your planting less than half an acre, it might be easier to pay for a bag and avoid some shipping costs. Paul has some great ideas on rotating crops to cut down on herbacide and fertilizer costs.

Frigid Forage Big-N-Beasty

We planted August 6 and it's coming in pretty well. We got it in just before a good rain to get it going. Some spots aren't as good, but for our first time we're pretty pleased. Here's one of the B-N-B plots' progression...

Elite Answer

My Big and Beast plot after 5 weeks of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Catskill hunter View Post

Looking good!

Here's a more recent pic of mine...

Elite Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Catskill hunter View Post

Nice! It says on the directions to put down 100 lbs/acre of urea after 4-6 weeks. Have you done that? Worth it?
    Elite Answer

^ yes putting down urea(46-0-0) at 4-6 weeks is a great idea. Ideally.... time it before a rain and you and your plot will be very happy.

Ok thanks! I'll try to get some out whenever the next rain comes.
    Elite Answer

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    I planted about 4 acres of them this year. It's going to smell like holy hell back there next spring

looks good. ya come spring they do stink, haha.

Plots look good guys. Keep me posted thru the season on growth and deer usage. I planted coop seed this year and want to try another variety next year to compare.
    ---------------------------------------
    Hoyt Vectrix 30" @ about 66 lbs
    H&M strings
    CJ WindowMaker 5 pin
    Goldtip Pro Hunter 5575

Tonight and tomorrow have the best chances of rain we've had in a month, so I put down some urea yesterday. Hopefully we get a good shower!
    Elite Answer

Fertilizing and the rain we've had in the past week really gave the plots a boost!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379726568.137323.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379726620.553316.jpg
    Elite Answer

Gourgeous!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    'Life is but a vapor, here one minute gone the next, to live it for yourself seems foolish.'

any more pics? did anyone notice any of the sugar beets? the mix seems like the other seeds would grow faster and drown them out, since they grow slow

I am going to plant 2 acres of Big and Beasty this year. Looking forward to it.
    Mathews EZ7 -A/C/C 3-49 - 286 fps
    Grave Digger's - QAD - HHA

Quote Originally Posted by nelly23 View Post
    I am going to plant 2 acres of Big and Beasty this year. Looking forward to it.
    Same here.

Sugar beets are finicky and weather is a factor. 3 Years ago i loved my mix with them in there and last year , not so much. This year i'm not liking my sugar beets as well. This is part of the reason i'm experimenting with other "higher sugar" brassicas. Sugar beets need to be 1/2 in the ground. If a mix has sugar beets in it, plan on planting deeper or having soil really loose and pack it to the right depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast