Thread: How to shape a homemade recurve?

How to shape a homemade recurve?

I'm going to make a homemade bow if I can get the shape of a recurve ill do that. If I can't then a long bow I will do. On that note does anyone have any help with carving the riser and limbs as well?

3 Rounds HE, 3 Rounds Willie P. Hang it.

I cut the limbs for my take-down recurve from an old pair of skis. They work great! Riser is cut from laminated oak board.
    DIY ADDICT !

A recurve would be shaped by the form it's glued up in, a longbow w/ basic woodworking tools. Forum here:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=222

This is going to be made with either a small maple tree or big maple branch. All from one piece.
    3 Rounds HE, 3 Rounds Willie P. Hang it.

In that case, the search term you want is ``self bows''.

I think there's some discussion of them in the build-along forum.

You can order a set of plans from Bingham Archery that will give you all the dimensions and full scale templates to build the press and the bow. I have built two full bows one full length and one take down using the bingham plans. I also, built one out of scrap materials before I built my first to make sure I worked out the kinks in the process and then practiced shaping on that one as well. A spindle sander, a belt sander and an band saw will be good investments if you do not have them.

Here is Binghams website - http://binghamprojects.com/ and there is a lot of good info on this site as well.
    PSE X-Force, Sims Drop Away Rest, Gold Tip 7595 with feathers

God, Family, Hunting, Mountain Biking and Hiking - In that order!!!shade:

If you want to use all wood you will need to build a form and use steam. Heat the tips until the are too hot to touch then slowly clamp them down into your form. You can also use a heat gun but I have had better luck with steam. Dry heat tends to want to burn the wood.
    - Mike - 2013 Bowtech Assassin 62#@28.5" - 2013 Bowtech Experience 68#@28.5"
    "I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. " - Fred Bear

As was mentioned, you are talking about a self bow, from one piece of wood. Those were not "true" recurves, as we know them now, since the limb tips do not open up as you draw the bow, but rather they offer a bit of extra leverage over a straight self bow.

As Squirrel mentioned, heat, in the form of steam, is the most widely used method. I have seen some pretty odd setups for steaming, but one of the best is a 6" diameter galvanized duct, long enough to hold the whole bow, with the ends capped off. One end should be removable, the other fixed. Cover the whole thing with old blankets to hold the heat, and make an opening for the steam to come into, and use a tea pot or similar to make the steam. actually anything that will make steam works, just make sure it gets in the duct. Also allow for the condensate (water) to drain. The heat is what makes the limb bendable, but the steam keeps you from burning it.

Keep it in a hot steam for about 15-20 min and then remove the bow and put in your form, to press and HOLD it in the desired shape. Leave until cooled, usually overnight. Make it so you do both tips at the same time, and in the same plane or your limbs will twist when the bow is drawn. You'll have to re tiller the bow anyway, most likely.

As was mentioned do a net search on "self bows", since there is a LOT to learn on shaping and tillering a self bow. Also plan on making mistakes, it part of the process.