a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Defeating target panic

Defeating target panic

Well it's been about 3 years now and I finally have developed a method to combat my TP. I developed my TP a few years back during a 3D league using a wrist strap release and I would freeze at the tp of the target and not be able to lower my bow arm to allow the pin to float on target. My next issue was that I had a terrible issue with collapsing after the shot and wouldn't hold back tension which would make throw my shots all over the place, especially late in my practice sessions. I tried everything that people had put out there as far as different releases, blank bail shooting, getting a coach, etc... All of these helped me however I would end up coming right back to my position that I was at before and my TP would take over.

I recently became comfortable with my hot shot tempest that I obtained through a trade and have been attempting to set it up to use it as true backtension. I must say that my first few days with the release, I would set my target up 20 yards away, draw back, get on target, and BAM hammer the release. My shots were awful and I was getting frustrated. I knew that TP was defeating me and I had to first come to that realization before I could move forward. I tried using a hinge, however I just never gave it enough time to become comfortable with it since my thumb release just felt better in my hand.

Early last week I decided that enough was enough and I made myself a release trainer, set my release up so that the thumb barrel is deep in my thumb and the trigger has no travel. I like a bit heavier of a trigger, especially when my heart is racing when a mature buck walks in. It was extremely difficult for me to become comfortable with the concept of using a thumb trigger release as a BT release, as I have always been a command type shooter ( which is awful I know). Anyhow, it's been a little better than a week and I have shot 100's of blank bail shots with my eyes closed executing proper BT. My thumb only hooks the barrel of the release and I relax my pull arm. All of the tension is stored in my scapular muscules and when I squeeze with BT the shot breaks, and I'm surprised every time. I know this topic is discussed in a ton of detail, but I just wanted to share my personal story and prove that TP is curable. My target hasn't been pushed past 12 yards yet, but every shot is quality and I ensure that if BT isn' setting off the shot I let down. I don't want to command the shot and encourage bad habits from returning. I'm shooting much better than I have in years and archery is now becoming enjoyable again. It's amazing how my pin can float on target and I just tell myself aim, aim , aim and then with a contraction of my back muscles the shot breaks clean everytime.

It's going to continue to be a work in progress, but dang it feels good to be able to shoot and have fun, without getting the frustration that I had when shooting with horrible form and a bad case of TP.

Good luck shooting everyone!!!

Haven't you tried using a hinge yet? There's no better tool available to learn the new mindset with.
    Sent via my Nokia Windows phone...I finally upgraded.

Well done!

Stick with it. Most of the better shooters have battled TP and found their own solution, just like you.

Allen

I'm glad to know that you are conquering it! It took me a while to figure out what worked for me to cure it but this was my formula, very simple. I concentrated on taking a deep breath before I drew and one more as I got on target. I would slowly exhale while starting my shot sequence. The added O2 in my blood from the deep breaths allows me to not "shake" as much with my pin float.

The second step I took was to invest in a high quality BT release. I shot the TRU Ball Sweet Spot 4 (the original) and just recently upgraded to the second generation. Moving to a high quality release with a company that has proven they are the industry leader gave me to confidence to know that I had quality in my hand and it would perform. I just had to get the shooter side of the equation inline to achieve what I wanted.

I am glad to know that you are curing your TP, b/c I know that it really sucks to go out and shoot when you feel like you cannot hit the broadside of a barn 5 yds away. If you are ever looking for a quality hinge don't forget about TRU Ball, they are an awesome company with great products. Good shooting!

www.truball.com
    JBK Strings Shooting Staff
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff
    WMFD
    FIRE/RESCUE

What I did was relate it to putting a golf ball. When I got over a putt I was steady and relaxed. All I did was concentrate on where the hole was in my mind and calmly make a smooth swing thru the ball. You can't see the hole if you are any distance at all away from it so you have to make a mental picture of where it is and rely on technique and distance control. I tell myself to do the same with releasing an arrow. With a bow, peep and sight you can see your target and that makes things a whole lot easier. I say to myself, relax, let the pin float around the Xring and when the feel right is there, let it go.most of the time the arrow goes where your concentrating.......it works for me!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Thanks guys for the input. My issue that I am still trying to solve is allowing my pull arm to relax so that the natural contraction of my back muscles can make the shot take place. I feel that at times I still tense up while pulling with BT

Quote Originally Posted by djm029 View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. My issue that I am still trying to solve is allowing my pull arm to relax so that the natural contraction of my back muscles can make the shot take place. I feel that at times I still tense up while pulling with BT
    That's hard to learn with ANY triggered release. Best to learn it with a real backtension release, then after learning it transfer it to the trigger.
    Sent via my Nokia Windows phone...I finally upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by djm029 View Post
    I find that I shoot better if I maintain tension and just transfer it from the arm to the back. My arm relaxes, but not my back. With compounds, there is a tendency to relax everything when we hit letoff. I have to keep the pressure the same throughout the shot, just transfer it from arm to back as soon as possible.

Allen

I beat TP shooting traditional... no hinge involved... you can shoot a hinge and still have TP if you're not confident with your string-hand... some people can't find that ability to let it relax... you need to be confident in every aspect of your shooting... it cab be done... best of luck to you.
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow >>>-------->

If I can figure out how to accomplish this, I would like to post a few pictures/video of myself shooting and see what everyone thinks regarding form. I can only critique myself on the shot execution but having more eyes seeing my form might point out several form flaws that I have overlooked. I will hopefully get this figured out tomorrow

I guess I've heard more stories of failure with a hinge than even trigger releases. Fact is, I don't think it really matters which release you shoot so long as you're comfortable with it. And that seems to be the reason many fail with the hinge - they simply aren't able to get comfortable. (Hey, I never shot one; I'm just repeating what I've been told many, many times).

As to shooting without having to consciously tell your hand (or finger) to release the arrow, there is another way. And that is the crux of my Solution - telling the subconscious mind to take over the job. It works.
    TARGET PANIC - Extricate it forever from your archery life with the fastest working, simplest, most powerful tool you'll ever find. Holding low, punching, snap shooting, flinching, lock-up, etc. Find several of your AT friends who have already done so on the REVIEWS page at UltimateArcherySolution (add the "dot-com") . Use your AT membership discount code: ATF2 for 20% off. Member, Archery Trade Association