Thread: what clothes for 20-40 degree weather

what clothes for 20-40 degree weather

Just curious I'm looking to update my clothing and looking for something that will work well for down as low as 20 or a little below that and up to low 40's. I have a set of good base layer under armour cold gear. Looking to add some layers looking for any advice on what to add. Thanks

Ask your Mom I assume she used to dress you?
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

That helped a lot thanks

Depending you what you want to spend. I woulds say. Sitka Gear Fanatic line will cover you perfect in those temps . Or the Sitka Stratus line will work. Or if you dont want to spend that much. Predator camo makes a few items that will work for you . Send me a Pm if you have any questions on any of this gear.
    AUTHORIZED DEALER !!SITKA GEAR, CORE 4 ELEMENT... ASAT CAMO... PREDATOR CAMO...OBSESSION BOWS... PRIME BOWS... PSE BOWS...BOSS BUCK FEEDERS,,GRIZZLY COOLERS,,,LONE WOLF TREESTANDS. MILLENNIUM TREESTANDS AND MANY MORE. EASTON ARROWS. GOLD TIP ARROWS,, STOKERIZED STABILIZERS,, B-STINGER AND MOST ANYTHING HUNTING RELATED WWW.SOUTHERNSTYLEARCHERY.COM

Wool is the best I have found. Minus 33 layers are excellent. The key in those temps is not to sweat and if you do, get the sweat away from your skin. The UA is a good base layer (over priced but good). Then wool layer(s) Then a wind blocking outer layer should do it for you. I really like Cabelas brand Wooltimate series for an outer layer when its 40 or less.

Something light and comfortable and a HBS.
    Hoyt Vector Turbo @ 65# & 28.5" Draw
    QAD HDX Drop-Away, Small Dia. 12" Doinker Dish
    Single-Pin 2014 CBE Hybrid on 6" Dovetail, Carter Quickie 1+
    400 Gr. GT Kinetic Hunter & NAP Killzone @ 300 FPS
    LW Assault Climber with Molle Straps & HBS

I have several different Scentblocket outfits to cover all the different temps.

I am not sure if the brand matter so much as does the hunting conditions. Will you be sweating, hiking, hunting all day, will you have a pack to stow your extra clothes. I use all technical moisture wicking layers to stay warm and dry and my outer layers are my camo. All my hunting is spot and stalk so i have to shed layers as the day warms or i start exerting myself.

Fleece...manufacturer doesn't matter, camo pattern doesn't matter and personally I wouldn't get goretex. The sweat can't get out as fast as they say it does. Fleece is warm, light weight and breathes well. You might consider a light weight vest and a jacket to go over it. Layering is the key to hunting in various weather conditions. The vest under the jacket keeps your core warm without bulking sleeves. I keep a Cabelas space rain jacket in my pack just in case it rains.
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

honestly as said above layers are best, but i still think it all depends on what your are used to, for me as long as i am able to keep my feet, hands, head and face warm, the rest really doesnt matter, ill go out on a late season hunt with hat gloves mask, dry wool socks but be in the same gear as i hunt with in early season just with some baselayers under it

Merino wool...
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

Layers and moisture control are most important at those temps. I would walk to the stand in a thin layer of merino with gloves and hat to keep the sweating to a minimum. Once the stand was setup I would add the layers as needed. Taking you 20 degree temp, I would add a long sleeve vintage wool shirt/jacket, then either a wool or down vest, and then my ASAT Ultimate jacket. For bottoms I would add my ASAT ultimate pants and if really feeling cold I might add another layer of loose fitting wool bottoms before adding the pants. Once sitting in the stand I would loosen my boots a lot so as not to restrict blood flow and if necessary change into drier socks. I will also put on my balaclava and if necessary a beanie to go with it. Lastly don't forget your hands. I have normal light weight gloves and then put them into either my hand muff worn around my waist or something new I will be trying is the Grey Wolf Woolens gauntlets the fold back out of the way for the shot.

Side note I mention ASAT because its what I have, but any decent jacket with wind blocking properties will work for you.

Honestly I think the fundamentals of layering are easy. However the selection of clothes and brands is endless.

You want a wicking base layer, and insulation layer or layers and a layer to protect you from the elements like wind and rain. Depending on the weather condition you add or remove the insulation layers.

Layer 1 Wicking - Wool is my favorite
    Layer 2 Insulation - Fleece, wool are my favorites
    Layer 3 Element protection - wind blocking garment of your choice. Waterproof if you will be hunting in wet climate.
    Mathews ChillR
    Mathews Edition QAD
    MBG Pure Driven
    Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's
    Slick Tricks