Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Filming hunts with GoPro

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    583

    Filming hunts with GoPro

    Got a deal on a Hero3 Black. Ive got some other uses for it but am thinking filming my hunts may be an added bonus. Anyone using a GoPro to film hunts? Not expecting amazing results but any mounting or filming tips are appreciated.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    600
    Bout to pickup the silver myself. Cant wait
    2012 Mathews Z9
    31" Draw
    LimbDriver Rest
    4" Axion Stabilizer
    HHA Slider

  3. #3
    I've been using a Kodak Playsport to flim my hunts... It's pretty cool - I just have it set up on my bow.

    The hardest thing for me is remembering to keep the bow (camera) pointed at the animal after the shot!

    I've been thinking about getting a gopro to put on my head and get the other aspects of the hunt - what kinda deal did you get?

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Posts
    6,609
    Lotta complaints about the reliability of the GoPros lately. Switching off for no reason being the #1 issue. I veered away after a buddy returned his to the shop after using it for a day.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Posts
    7,211
    They take sweet footage for a little camera but I don't like the lack of zoom. They would make a good seconday angle shot though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairmont WV
    Posts
    7,550
    I have the Black edition. Awesome camera but it wouldnt be great for a main camera. As a second angle or getting special shots it cant be beat!
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Muskego, WI
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by flinginairos View Post
    I have the Black edition. Awesome camera but it wouldnt be great for a main camera. As a second angle or getting special shots it cant be beat!
    I 2nd this. Great camera for angles. But no zoom means it would not make a good main camera for filming hunt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Putt4Doe View Post
    I've been using a Kodak Playsport to flim my hunts... It's pretty cool - I just have it set up on my bow.

    The hardest thing for me is remembering to keep the bow (camera) pointed at the animal after the shot!

    I've been thinking about getting a gopro to put on my head and get the other aspects of the hunt - what kinda deal did you get?

    Thanks!
    I know a guy who has a specialty retail store and he knocked $100 bucks off for me. Gopro protects pricing so any actual deals on them are rare.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Lotta complaints about the reliability of the GoPros lately. Switching off for no reason being the #1 issue. I veered away after a buddy returned his to the shop after using it for a day.
    Supposedly the new firmware update they pushed fixed all the issues. Ill let you guys know if I have any issues.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by flinginairos View Post
    I have the Black edition. Awesome camera but it wouldnt be great for a main camera. As a second angle or getting special shots it cant be beat!
    Yeah no doubt. I wouldnt be filming w/o it so I figure mediocre video is better than no footage.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairmont WV
    Posts
    7,550
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieGrant View Post
    Yeah no doubt. I wouldnt be filming w/o it so I figure mediocre video is better than no footage.
    That's true. you can still make a cool video with it, you just wont see the kill shot up close. You could always start with the GoPro and upgrade as you go and add more gear. That's what I have done and the bug has bitten me bad. I have a ton of gear now LOL
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    823
    I just got a sweet deal on one too...free for my bday. I already stuck one of the mounts on the stabilizer on my hunting bow. I know the footage wont be great but better than nothing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,550
    Be ready for the biggest pain in the arse camera ever. I have a Hero 2 with wifi backpack set up. It has been back to GoPro repeatedly. They have actually fixed issues on two occasions. The other two times they claim everything is A-OK. I've filmed some good stuff with it though, but honestly it has failed me in the field more times then it has worked.

    Here is the deal with these cameras regardless of what version that you have. They are action sports cameras. Meaning, they are meant for the snow boarder who pulls it out, turns it on, presses record, and makes a run. I snow ski in the winter and use my GoPro like this all the time with hardly ever an issue. Now lets take that same camera into the hunting environment. The camera has to sit, often for hours at a time, often in cold conditions. This is where they fail. They have an internal heater that runs to keep them "warm" and it drains the battery for starters. They often lock up when powered on when they have been cold for hours on end. If you want to run the wifi set up, the wifi unit must be turned on. In the case of the Hero2 for example, the wifi is running on it's own battery. When that drains it draws from the camera battery. An hour into this entire process ... your batteries are dead. The wifi remote battery does not hold a very long charge either. You better remember to have every item charged the night before your hunt and then you better hope that your shot opportunity happens quickly or you will still have no battery. Further when in the off state for several hours the wifi communication is often lost. GoPro has looked at my unit and two units that belong to a friend of mine and they say this is "normal". The ONLY way that we have found to combat this is to have an external battery source attached to the camera at ALL times. I actually use one made by Tracer Power and run a GoPro dual car adapter to keep the camera and wifi pack powered in the ON position for an entire hunt. Then I keep a cell phone battery charger in my hunting pack (Juice Link or others work) to plug my wifi remote into every few hours to keep the wifi remote charged up and powered on. Keeping a solid power source to this stuff is the only way that we have found to keep them working (especially via wifi remote) for anything more than an hour or so. We have tried repeated units and have had GoPro look at these units repeatedly. All is standard operating procedure to them.

    I don't have a Hero3 but a friend does. He has had nothing but even worse issues with it. I know there was a Firmware upgrade released in the past couple weeks that is supposed to fix various "issues", but they haven't even gotten the Hero1 or Hero2 "issues" fixed yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath about the Hero3 fix.

    Like I say, when they work, they work pretty slick. It is getting them to work every time when you need them to that is the key. I'm not trying to bash the camera at all. I am a GoPro owner/user. I have probably $900+ wrapped up in my camera, cases, lenses, various accessories, and exterior power sources. I still use the thing (or try to) on most every hunt, as bad as I want to throw it across the field most days. Just being real in telling you what to expect for your investment.

    Beyond that, if you want to use one from your tree stand to shoot video of a deer 15 yards away, you will probably be disappointed. They just are not meant for that type of video work. But to set one out in your turkey, goose, or even deer decoy set up, looking back or for another angle, they can make for a great hunting camera.

    Here is my Hero2 set up with a Tracer Power pack. Like I said, I use a cell phone battery charger (mine happens to be a Motorola brand) for my wifi remote to keep it powered.

    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    600
    Wouldnt the app help with battery life? Cant you control the camera from it? Meaning only turn it on when you need it? I dont have one but plan on getting one as well. Just trying to understand a little better
    2012 Mathews Z9
    31" Draw
    LimbDriver Rest
    4" Axion Stabilizer
    HHA Slider

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,550
    The wifi portion of the camera (the backpack on the Hero2) must be ON at all times so that it can receive the signal from either the wifi remote or the APP enabled smart phone. So the wifi portion is sucking juice at all times. And the camera's internal heater is sucking power. There is no way around it. If you want to sit for a 4 hour turkey hunt for example and your camera is sitting out by the decoys and you want to power it up via wifi to catch the kill shot, you better have the birds come in off the roost right way or have another power source for the camera to last your sit. If not, you will press the remote or your phone to power up the camera itself and the nothing will happen because the internal wifi portion of the Hero3 or the wifi bacpac on the Hero2 will have drained every bit of recording juice that you had available. The camera cannot just sit there dead to the world and power up when you push a button on the remote or your smart phone. The wifi portion must be on and waiting to receive your signal.

    Trust me ... I've been dealing with this issue for 9 months now. I've used my GoPro on deer, duck, goose, and turkey hunts, as well as for downhill skiing, mounted to my dog for an interesting retrieval angle, and other misc. projects. The camera is great when it works. It is getting it to fire when you NEED it to work in a hunting situation that can be the challenge.
    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by DEC View Post
    The wifi portion of the camera (the backpack on the Hero2) must be ON at all times so that it can receive the signal from either the wifi remote or the APP enabled smart phone. So the wifi portion is sucking juice at all times. And the camera's internal heater is sucking power. There is no way around it. If you want to sit for a 4 hour turkey hunt for example and your camera is sitting out by the decoys and you want to power it up via wifi to catch the kill shot, you better have the birds come in off the roost right way or have another power source for the camera to last your sit. If not, you will press the remote or your phone to power up the camera itself and the nothing will happen because the internal wifi portion of the Hero3 or the wifi bacpac on the Hero2 will have drained every bit of recording juice that you had available. The camera cannot just sit there dead to the world and power up when you push a button on the remote or your smart phone. The wifi portion must be on and waiting to receive your signal.

    Trust me ... I've been dealing with this issue for 9 months now. I've used my GoPro on deer, duck, goose, and turkey hunts, as well as for downhill skiing, mounted to my dog for an interesting retrieval angle, and other misc. projects. The camera is great when it works. It is getting it to fire when you NEED it to work in a hunting situation that can be the challenge.
    Makes sense. Appreciate you clearing that up for me.
    2012 Mathews Z9
    31" Draw
    LimbDriver Rest
    4" Axion Stabilizer
    HHA Slider

  17. #17
    I use my go pro hero 2 all the time and love it, no issues so far. I bought 2 extra batteries to carry with me on all hunts but I can usually get 45 minutes of taping out of one battery. I usually have camera on my bow or head so I can turn off and on as needed and then use the remote to control it. Keep it up to date with regular updates if available and you shouldn't have any problems. It's worked well for me and only wish it had a zoom feature.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairmont WV
    Posts
    7,550
    Quote Originally Posted by DEC View Post
    Be ready for the biggest pain in the arse camera ever. I have a Hero 2 with wifi backpack set up. It has been back to GoPro repeatedly. They have actually fixed issues on two occasions. The other two times they claim everything is A-OK. I've filmed some good stuff with it though, but honestly it has failed me in the field more times then it has worked.

    Here is the deal with these cameras regardless of what version that you have. They are action sports cameras. Meaning, they are meant for the snow boarder who pulls it out, turns it on, presses record, and makes a run. I snow ski in the winter and use my GoPro like this all the time with hardly ever an issue. Now lets take that same camera into the hunting environment. The camera has to sit, often for hours at a time, often in cold conditions. This is where they fail. They have an internal heater that runs to keep them "warm" and it drains the battery for starters. They often lock up when powered on when they have been cold for hours on end. If you want to run the wifi set up, the wifi unit must be turned on. In the case of the Hero2 for example, the wifi is running on it's own battery. When that drains it draws from the camera battery. An hour into this entire process ... your batteries are dead. The wifi remote battery does not hold a very long charge either. You better remember to have every item charged the night before your hunt and then you better hope that your shot opportunity happens quickly or you will still have no battery. Further when in the off state for several hours the wifi communication is often lost. GoPro has looked at my unit and two units that belong to a friend of mine and they say this is "normal". The ONLY way that we have found to combat this is to have an external battery source attached to the camera at ALL times. I actually use one made by Tracer Power and run a GoPro dual car adapter to keep the camera and wifi pack powered in the ON position for an entire hunt. Then I keep a cell phone battery charger in my hunting pack (Juice Link or others work) to plug my wifi remote into every few hours to keep the wifi remote charged up and powered on. Keeping a solid power source to this stuff is the only way that we have found to keep them working (especially via wifi remote) for anything more than an hour or so. We have tried repeated units and have had GoPro look at these units repeatedly. All is standard operating procedure to them.

    I don't have a Hero3 but a friend does. He has had nothing but even worse issues with it. I know there was a Firmware upgrade released in the past couple weeks that is supposed to fix various "issues", but they haven't even gotten the Hero1 or Hero2 "issues" fixed yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath about the Hero3 fix.

    Like I say, when they work, they work pretty slick. It is getting them to work every time when you need them to that is the key. I'm not trying to bash the camera at all. I am a GoPro owner/user. I have probably $900+ wrapped up in my camera, cases, lenses, various accessories, and exterior power sources. I still use the thing (or try to) on most every hunt, as bad as I want to throw it across the field most days. Just being real in telling you what to expect for your investment.

    Beyond that, if you want to use one from your tree stand to shoot video of a deer 15 yards away, you will probably be disappointed. They just are not meant for that type of video work. But to set one out in your turkey, goose, or even deer decoy set up, looking back or for another angle, they can make for a great hunting camera.

    Here is my Hero2 set up with a Tracer Power pack. Like I said, I use a cell phone battery charger (mine happens to be a Motorola brand) for my wifi remote to keep it powered.

    The GoPro cameras certainly have quirks and I have experienced a little of what you are talking about but not nearly as bad. The battery life is pretty bad honestly and I like your idea of the external battery for extended use. I will say though (and I hope it isnt a fluke) I upgraded my Black to the most recent firmware and left the wifi running for three days and it only dropped one bar on the battery back pack. Normally leaving the wifi on for a few hours on mine will kill it. When I used it last season I had no problems using the camera for 4-5 hour sits as long as I didnt run it constantly. I have been lucky with mine and haven't had the freezing issues that some are reporting. It has worked and gotten me some cool footage every time I have needed it.
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,237
    I have a white and got my camo skins from captureyourhunt.com I have filmed out to 50yds on a bow hunt with good luck. I love mine and use the handlebar mount on my bstinger.
    2013 Elite Answer 70# 28" Easton FMJ Injexion Rage Hypodermic Axcel ArmorTech HD Pro

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    600
    Anyone have any video or images from a hunt they can post up?
    2012 Mathews Z9
    31" Draw
    LimbDriver Rest
    4" Axion Stabilizer
    HHA Slider

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by masonbanta View Post
    I have a white and got my camo skins from captureyourhunt.com I have filmed out to 50yds on a bow hunt with good luck. I love mine and use the handlebar mount on my bstinger.
    Are they adhesives? Can you post up a pic? Just curious to see how it looks. What pattern did you get.
    2012 Mathews Z9
    31" Draw
    LimbDriver Rest
    4" Axion Stabilizer
    HHA Slider

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by McDan08 View Post
    Anyone have any video or images from a hunt they can post up?
    The footage shooting back at the blind in this video is on my GoPro Hero2. The decoys were 8 yards from the blind and the GoPro about 5 yards beyond the decoys is all. The GoPro was being powered off of that Tracer battery and the wifi remote activated the camera to start it rolling. Hunt was a right off the roost situation. Rainy and muddy. You can see that a rain drop had settled right in the center of the action too on the GoPro, which sucks but you cannot control something like that.



    Here is a video still frame from my buddy's GoPro while shooting video on a goose hunt this past January. That is myself on the left. The camera was positioned about 3 feet in front of our foot bags on our layout blinds.

    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    8,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Lotta complaints about the reliability of the GoPros lately. Switching off for no reason being the #1 issue. I veered away after a buddy returned his to the shop after using it for a day.
    Most of the issues stemming from the GoPro Hero 3 have been memory card related. Issues with write speeds on the cards have caused the cameras to freeze, stop recording, etc. http://goprouser.freeforums.org/this...es-t12096.html
    Hoyt Spyder 34

    www dot SELFILMED dot com

    All We Do Is SELFILMED

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    583
    Picked up a Joby Gorillapod Video w/ Magnetic feet. Pretty excited about testing this in the field this year. BK_abdxCYAIM015.jpg large.jpg

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northeast Louisiana
    Posts
    950
    I have the hero 1 and have used it fishing a lot. I planned on using it this next year hunting some stands that are close quarters so that the distance issue is virtually non-existent. I did watch a Primos turkey episode where they took the go pro (or something like it) and mounted it beyond the decoy so they could get the shot coming from the blind. It was pretty cool.
    JBK Strings Shooting Staff
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff
    WMFD
    FIRE/RESCUE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •