a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: getting started.

getting started.

Hi. Thanks to Archery Talk this forum option is now available.
    I am going to be out of town for a few days and will then start posting and hanging out here.
    My first project will be to show a history of how my product came to be.

I am turbonocknockguy now on this site. I have been a member of this site from just about its beginning. I used to post as Nick Snook if you are interested in researching me or my products.
    If you just type in turbonock in the search box at the top of the page you can find out a lot about my products. you can find out a good deal by going to my website www.turbonockfactorystore.com or just click on the flashing turbonock avatar on my posts.
    first bow.jpgfirst tournament2.jpgfirst tournament22resize.jpg

Well, I have to start somewhere.
    My Dad Jim Snook had a small archery - gun shop in our basement in Middletown Pa. He started teaching me to shoot when I was 3. in 1951. my First torunament at age 5 . I won with arrows I made.
    In the group photo I am on the front row right. The big guy behind me is my DAD!. He would let me experiment with my arrows and I was always trying to get better arrow flight. Everytime I tried something he would examine it and tell me why it would not work. He was also an aeronautical engineer and pilot. Everytime he was right. I learned a lot about the physics "playing" with arrows in my youth. I also hand loaded cartridges for hunting and learned how little it takes to change the performance of projectiles in flight. I learned that even though bullets have no feathers they are more presise when it comes to accuracy. The high rate of rotation the rifling in a gun barrel provides creates the accuracy. Arrows use a fairly low rate of rotation using vanes that spin the arrow using wind resistance. Most common arrows only rotate 2 times in 20 yds. The Quick Spin fletching products advertise three times faster which is 6 times in 20 yds ,but they tend to loose trajectory because of the method they use to cause more rotation. more wind resistance. The Turbonock was tested at the PSE Test Facility and in high speed video showed two revolutions in the first 5 feet of flight. That comes to 24 revolutions in 20 yds! What makes this happen is a small twist in the nock rather than a straight nock. I guess you could call it rifling for arrows?
    Forty years after my childhood experiments with no success I was working in a mall in Mass. and was bored to tears. I started spinning a quarter on a table and had a DUH! moment. Why not mechanically spin the arrow just like rifling spins a bullet. I drew a sketch on a paper bag. A few weeks later when I was back in pa I hand carved the first "turbonock" experiment. i carved a twisted nock out of a piece of nylon and hand fletched some small pieces of turkey feather to the shaft. It worked. off a recurve bow. I wll try to find photos of the early experiments and post on the next visit.

Last edited by turbonockguy; May 29th, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
    “A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.” Mark Twain
    Black Swan Archery Staff Shooter
    www.turbonockfactorystore.com

handcarved.jpg Just found the photo.
    This is the first experiment with a hand carved nylon nock with a twist and some really " high tech" hand cut fletching.
    It worked quite well and led to more experiments and modifications and finally a cad design for mold making.

2011 QUEST PRIMAL
    PRO v rest G5 the rock sight
    B STINGER 8" sport stab Paradigm cta string stop
    Catfish custom bcy x strings Hotshot vapor release

fox.jpgwabbit camo.jpg

These are two of my most favorite hunting photos. The first is Jim Snook( my dad ) and fox. 60 lb bear bow. The second is me and wabbit! The nut fell near the tree!!

shooting machine.jpg80-yd-groupcropped.jpg

The first photo is the first shooting machine I built on a friends farm near Hughesville pa. The second photo is an 80 yd group using easton aluminum shafts. The large circle with the C was the control group right out of the box from the store. the two smaller groups were with prototype setups that eventually became the DEADX .

This is our most recent testing . showing what our products do to improve just about any hunting setup.

Just got this from Robert Wood

NEW TUNINGTIPS POSTER 500jpg.jpg

If you are paper tuning TURBONOCKS this is important!!!!!!

Most folks like to BARESHAFT tune, as I do!
    you can bareshaft the TURBONOCK T-4, T-5, and T-6 just like you would paper tune with any nock.

What you can not do it bareshaft with a regular nock and expect that tuning to work for a TURBONOCK. The TURBONOCK spins instantly and will tune differently than a straight nock. ( If your bow is set up and tuned for TURBONOCKS your straight nocked arrows will be out of tune)

Also you can not paper tune with a straight nock and then attach a TURBONOCK VORTEX or STEALTH !
    You must paper tune with the VORTEX or STEALTH attached to the arrow.

The paper tear chart above is shipped with each order and show what tears will look like when shooting the STEALTH or VORTEX.
    I am going to make a video paper tuning to show how simple it is to read and adjust your rest.
    The main rule is to adjust vertically first. and only adjust left to right if you get a dead horizontal tear. after doing your vertical adjustments.

Note: The T-4, T-5, and T-6 will in most cases paper tune out to 40 yds. I have done 50 yds with my css target bow.

If you have not paper tuned or have never tried it is quite simple and I will show a simple paper tuning setup that cost at most $2.00 to $3.oo for some clamps or you can make a simple paper tuning setup with some masking tape and some white computer paper.
    This will be in the video.

To get the best performance from our products we highly recommend paper tuning.

If you take your bow and arrows to a shop to paper tune PLEASE take the tuning tips paper along. Even though the shop bow mechanic is a pro if he has not tuned TURBONOCKS he will probably have problems. The instructions should make it simple. again RULE # 1 ADJUST VERTICALLY FIRST !!!!!
    I love this sport!
    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Here is a video by Arkansas State Champ Robert Wood. Has his traditional hunting setup tuned in with The TURBONOCK
    T-4. If you are into Traditional these nocks can really tighten your groups.
    Also I am drooling over his bow. I grew up shooting Traditional and have started shooting recurve again to see if I can get back enough skills to hunt . instinctive--That is what it was called. No sights and off the shelf with fingers.

I am really impressed with his bow.