Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Creed, loud as hell

10K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  Jake Regan 
#1 ·
i just picked up a creed here on AT actually, and this bow is wicked loud, like the loudest bow I've ever shot. 29'' 70lb limbs, set at probably 64 or so. No handshock, and I can stack arrows right up with this thing, good arrow flight.. just LOUD at the shot, TWANG! what the heck? 29'' Easton Axis 400 with 100gr tip coming in somewhere around 416-418gr.. I'm gonna try shooting a 340 spine arrow tonight, see if that does anything.. All my accessories are tightened up, ive double checked every bolt on this bow.. threads going right down the middle of the timing hole.. Any ideas? Do I have to put those dumb limb dampeners in this thing just to make it quiet? If so, what a shame..

#2 ·
They have some pretty good information about this on the Mathews forum. It is something to do with the bearings in the cam. I have 2 buddies and they each have one, one of them is dead quiet and the other sounds like a shotgun going off.

#5 ·
Most of the problems with noise were the sting stop rubber not all the way on or too tight or too loose setting (mine is 1/16) or that a set screw had come loose or was missing. When ever i run into problems like this i go over the whole bow to make sure all the screws are tight and none are missing (everywhere) and if that doesnt work i start taking off my accessories to see if they are the problem and if that doesnt work off to the dealer i go.

#7 ·
ive checked every single bolt on this bow, and double checked. everything is in place, everything is tight. my string stop rubber is snug against the rod. I have had the bow torn down to nothing but the drop away rest, and it is even louder this way, it seems. NOT impressed.

#6 ·
I was at the bow shop a few weeks ago...a guy was shooting a brand new Creed. Very nice looking bow, it had full camo cams and everything. It was LOUD when he fired! Might have been the loudest bow I have ever heard. I asked him if everything was ok with it and watched him shoot a few times. It seemed like the noise was coming from the top cam area. I looked at the bow and there were some extreme string angles going from the top cam to the roller guard and it looked like some cam lean.

Not sure if the noise is due to a bad tune and cam lean? How well is your bow tuned?

#10 ·
People have cracked the rod by over tightning the set screws but I would say take it to a dealer. My creed is super quiet i do have alphashox and an rs1 on the string stop but something must be wrong with it. How long ago did you get it? The previous owner must have known something was wrong.... As for the tune on a creed its a solocam so super easy. I think after 1000 shots or so i had to put 2 twist in the cable to get it back centerd in the hole and i don't have any cam lean.

#18 ·
+1

Probably been dry fired and now the bearings are bad.
And your 400 spine arrows are too light spine.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#15 ·
Are you using an Axcel sight. I had an issue with a couple of sights that were making noise, it was a bugger to find. ended up being the micro adjust knob for the individual pin adjustment. I have a creed and it is very quiet, the only noise I hear is the QAD rest.

#19 ·
I have a 2010 Z7 and the bow is quiet. Changed the strings and started shooting it. It twanged loud at the shot. Noticed I did not put some of those monkey tails on. Put them on and the twang went away. Got home shot the bow some than realized the string was not touching the little finger things. That is where the twang came from. Did an adjustment so the string touched an the twang was gone with or with the monkey tails. So if everything is tight and the string stop set correct. Try a couple of the monkey tails on the string. Hope this helps and good luck.

#20 ·
If it were me, I would take that bow apart. Every nut, bolt and screw. I would carefully inspect every part thoroughly. I would then, re-assemble the bow with the proper lube and grease and re-tune the bow. I have shot that bow, and a friend of mine owns one and that bow is definitely a shooter and whisper quiet.

#21 ·
hope you get it figured out, and thanks for posting this potential problem with these bows. things like this and the limb flaking on the newer bowtechs make us all more aware of what we are buying. ive got a new t-3 tikka 270 that im wanting to trade for a bowtech bow. right now the best option is the experience. i thought about a insanity, but changed my mind because of these kinds of problems being fore told here. might wait till the 2014 models come out. youll get it figured out. hope it doesnt cost you very much.

#23 ·
Could it be your arrow weight and spine are not a good fit for your DL and DW? Is your arrow 29" or is your draw length 29"? I am no expert, but you are shooting an arrow that seems like it is very light, at least to me. Manufacturers recommend shooting an arrow that is over 5gr per pound, I think. You are at almost 6 which is safe but still light. I shoot 400 spine arrows with a 25.5" arrow on a 27.5" draw length at 67# and I feel like I need to go with a heavier arrow, and I will before hunting season. Like I said I am don't know much about all the dynamics of DL, DW, arrow spine, and weight, I just think that a 350 spine would be a lot better, probably give you more weight, and make your bow at least a little quieter. If that wouldn't make it any quieter, than maybe you did buy a broken bow.

#24 ·
Well this doesn't surprise me.....I mean it is a Mathews problem number 1, problem number 2 its probably been dryfired and didn't survive it. Good luck, I would turn around and sell it if it was me.

#25 ·
Sorry bul, I'm going to override you on this one. 70lb. limbs set at 64 lbs. 418 grain arrow should be quiet. Somewhere in my mind I'm thinking cam bearings, limbs or limb pockets. Check everything out. This could very well be a dry fired bow and it could be dangerous at this point.

#26 ·
I agree that at 64# he should be good with the arrows he has. Sorry about that, I thought he was shooting 70#. I completely missed the 64# piece of his post.

Just to make sure my thinking is right though. Wouldn't those arrows be a little on the light side at 70#?

#30 ·
I bought my Creed brand new and it had that sound from the start. Dealer checked it out and could hear but couldn't quite find the source. Swapped out cams and it stopped. We swapped the cams back and went ahead and sent it back to Mathews for them to check and they said everything was fine and it was quite to them. Got it back and dealer said to try it again and see if it keeps making the noise. It does, but shoots good but I think I am going to swap out cams. Bow is quite everywhere else until you tap on the cam itself and then you hear the buzz.

#37 ·
Wow ! That sounds like poor customer service on the part of both the dealer and Mathews. The dealer should have gone to the matt for you in this case, and Mathews should have supplied a new cam.

#33 ·
There is some plastic bushings that go inside the bearings on the top cam check and make sure those are not cracked or broken, my dads creed made the same sound and one of the plastic bushings were broke, replaced the bushing and the sound went away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.