Thread: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow

Crossbow vs. Compound Bow

first off this thread isn't intended to discuss why one or the other shouldn't be allowed in certain seasons. i am wanting to know why compound bows are held, for the most part, to the "5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight" rule when crossbows are not held to the same standard? if they were both held to the same standard, a 150# crossbow would have to shoot a bolt with a minimum weight of 750 grains. looking at the weights of crossbow bolts, they are around the same weight as the arrow that i shoot out of my compound bow. is a crossbows limbs made that much more durable than a compound bows limbs?

2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
    first off this thread isn't intended to discuss why one or the other shouldn't be allowed in certain seasons. i am wanting to know why compound bows are held, for the most part, to the "5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight" rule when crossbows are not held to the same standard? if they were both held to the same standard, a 150# crossbow would have to shoot a bolt with a minimum weight of 750 grains. looking at the weights of crossbow bolts, they are around the same weight as the arrow that i shoot out of my compound bow. is a crossbows limbs made that much more durable than a compound bows limbs?
    Way stiffer spine due to the length they are cut to means you can shoot a lighter weight in relation to the poundage of the crossbow. They are much thicker walled if you look at one closely.
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

the one's i saw were a .300 and around 8.7 gpi, just like my arrows.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

i understand the bolts being cut shorter which allows the spine to work. i don't understand how the bolts total weight or lack there of, doesn't damage the limbs of the crossbow. the right arrow spine allows for proper arrow flight but has nothing to do with damaging a bows limbs. generally the greater the spine, the arrow weight increses which helps in keeping an arrow heavy enough to keep from damaging a bows limbs.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

Limbs are shorter?

the one's i saw were a .300 and around 8.7 gpi, just like my arrows.
    They are cut to 20" or 22" though spine is measured at 29" if I remember correctly. Dynamic spine would be around .200 I would imagine if the are cut at 20". A stiffer spine would allow shooting less than 5 GPP safely is my somewhat educated guess. Remember 5gpp is a safety measure and a much stiffer spine would make shooting safer with less than 5GPP.
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

Quote Originally Posted by snoman4 View Post
    They are cut to 20" or 22" though spine is measured at 29" if I remember correctly. Dynamic spine would be around .200 I would imagine if the are cut at 20". A stiffer spine would allow shooting less than 5 GPP safely is my somewhat educated guess.
    still the spine has no difference in a bows limbs being damaged, spine is determined for optimal arrow flight. it's the total arrow weight that keeps the limbs from being damaged.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Big Time View Post
    Limbs are shorter?
    not sure, this is why i asked...lol. i recently inherited a crossbow and need to buy some bolts for it. i'm setting it up so my 7 year old son can use it during archery season this year. while looking for bolts to buy i noticed they aren't any heavier than my bows arrows but my bow is 75 pounds and this crossbow is 150 pounds.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

A stiffer spine is not just for flight brother. A stiffer spine will also absorb more energy that is imparted from the limbs and cams which causes less arrow flex. Arrow flex is wasted energy that is imparted back into the bows limbs. More energy absorbed by the arrow would cause less stress on the limbs.

The other thing is powerstoke. Power stroke on a crossbow is much shorter on a crossbow as compared to a compound bow. Usually the difference is a minimum of 4" less power stroke in a crossbow and can be as much as 13". The limbs on a crossbow are shorter and would have higher working load ratings due to their shortness. All of these things I would think would be why a crossbow can shoot a lighter GPP and be safe. It is also why crossbows are so loud compared to compounds.

So based on everything said here 5 gpp for compounds isn't exactly correct either....I could choose to shoot a stiffer spine and less than 5 gpp and it would vary with draw length?

The other thing is powerstoke. Power stroke on a crossbow is much shorter on a crossbow as compared to a compound bow. Usually the difference is a minimum of 4" less power stroke in a crossbow and can be as much as 13". The limbs on a crossbow are shorter and would have higher working load ratings due to their shortness. All of these things I would think would be why a crossbow can shoot a lighter GPP and be safe. It is also why crossbows are so loud compared to compounds.
    now that may be something. the shorter power stroke along with the shorter limbs may be able to take the abuse. i'm still not buying the arrow spine theory. i understand what you are getting at but i do not think the arrow absorbing more of the energy alone, would compensate for the the added abuse by the higher draw weight.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

Quote Originally Posted by bjmostel View Post
    So based on everything said here 5 gpp for compounds isn't exactly correct either....I could choose to shoot a stiffer spine and less than 5 gpp and it would vary with draw length?
    according to my calculations, my crossbow would be shooting a bolt at around 2.5 gpp.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

now that may be something. the shorter power stroke along with the shorter limbs may be able to take the abuse. i'm still not buying the arrow spine theory. i understand what you are getting at but i do not think the arrow absorbing more of the energy alone, would compensate for the the added abuse by the higher draw weight.
    That's why I said all these things added together.

Since my wife had breast cancer and had to drop the compound for a crossbow I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about crossbows. Some of the people I have talked to that have lots more experience with them told me the things I have recited in these last posts because I had the same questions as you did. They told me that the stiff spine, short power stroke, and shorter limbs all added up to being safer to shoot such a light GPP when compared to a compound.

A little off topic camo but I would suggest trying the Steelforce Phatheads in 145 grain as the BH for your son. They are all steel ferrule and devastating on deer. They fly really well at 330 FPS out of her Xbow. She destroyed the shoulder and the leg on the opposite side of a doe with them this past season.

That's why I said all these things added together.

Since my wife had breast cancer and had to drop the compound for a crossbow I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about crossbows. Some of the people I have talked to that have lots more experience with them told me the things I have recited in these last posts because I had the same questions as you did. They told me that the stiff spine, short power stroke, and shorter limbs all added up to being safer to shoot such a light GPP when compared to a compound.
    gotcha, i was just curious. i'm hoping to get my boy out there this year so he can kill his first deer. my wife even wants to give it a shot with a crossbow. she has never shot a bow in her life. maybe this is a stepping stone to get her to want to try a compound bow.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

A little off topic camo but I would suggest trying the Steelforce Phatheads in 145 grain as the BH for your son. They are all steel ferrule and devastating on deer. They fly really well at 330 FPS out of her Xbow. She destroyed the shoulder and the leg on the opposite side of a doe with them this past season.
    i don't have any experience with crossbows. this is an old Barnett RC-300 and i was told it shot around 300 fps. it was my grandpa's and when he passed, i inherited it. i thought what better way to get my son hunting. my son has a bow that he loves but being 7 years old, he can't pull the draw weight needed to kill a deer yet.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

gotcha, i was just curious. i'm hoping to get my boy out there this year so he can kill his first deer. my wife even wants to give it a shot with a crossbow. she has never shot a bow in her life. maybe this is a stepping stone to get her to want to try a compound bow.
    It's s great way to get them started. I even took that evil crossbow out a few times over the last two seasons. Just not my first choice as a weapon. She has had two deer come in behind us that she could not shoot because the limbs would have hit the tree the stand was strapped to. One was a great buck and would have been her first with bow or crossbow. With a compound she would have been able to take the shot. We are just thankful she is still around to be able to hunt no matter what the weapon is.....good luck to your son and hope he gets his first deer with it this year.

I've asked this question before and never got a satisfactory answer either.

Power stroke is a problem for me. The Tac 15 has a 17" power stroke. I have a 27" draw. If I shoot a 7" bh bow I have a 20" power stroke. Don't tell me a Tac 15 can shoot that 17" at 160 lbs with a 425 grn arrow, but our compounds would blow up if we shot such light grains per inch.

It doesn't make sense.
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

Re: Crossbow vs. Compound Bow

Quote Originally Posted by bjmostel View Post
    Mind blown

sent from my LG Escape.
    Lethal Injection Archery

Quote Originally Posted by IDABOW View Post
    I've asked this question before and never got a satisfactory answer either.

Power stroke is a problem for me. The Tac 15 has a 17" power stroke. I have a 27" draw. If I shoot a 7" bh bow I have a 20" power stroke. Don't tell me a Tac 15 can shoot that 17" at 160 lbs with a 425 grn arrow, but our compounds would blow up if we shot such light grains per inch.

It doesn't make sense.
    i agree. i'm not wanting to shoot a lighter arrow out of my compound, i was just wondering about the double standard between the two.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7