a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Arrow Stability

Arrow Stability

Hey, I'm just getting into archery and i have some questions. While shooting i am experiencing a lack of arrow stability mostly up and down, and i was wondering if my arrow selection is way off. I'm suspecting i have gotten to weak of and arrow but i have no idea, and I'm realizing arrow selection is quite complicated.
    here's what I'm shooting.
    PSE Nomad #45 drawn to 29.5''
    Gold tip traditional arrows 5575 .400 spine and 32" long.
    i have 125G field points and the arrows have three 4 inch feathers.
    could larger feathers or more tip weight do anything to solve this problem?

Thanks. Allan.

That arrow sounds reasonable. Might not be perfect but is a good starting point. Up and down movement of the nock (porpoising) is usually caused by too high or low placement of your nock point. I would also use two nock points, one above the nock and one below. It is possible that the nock can slide on the string at release, two nock points eliminates the possibility. Since you are new, trying to do any serious tuning will be pretty frustrating, I would just try moving your nock point up or down a little and see if it takes care of the problem. Most people shooting split finger end up with a nock point 3/8"-5/8" above center, three under shooters are often higher than that.

This is a good link on tuning, read it and you will see why your nock point needs to be tweaked. Once you get a little more comfortable and consistent, give the bare shaft tuning process a try...http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

Granola CA What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes
    Now I myself think that that shaft is probably on the stiff side and could a little more point weight even with your longer draw.

But, basically everything Easykeeper sed!

Add a second nockset to the string to go below the arrow nock when you nock the arrow. And go check out that link he gave you. Even as a beginner its never too early to at least start reading up on tuning, and start learning this stuff. Good possibility that yes your nock point is off, and that link can give you guidance in figuring out which to go with your nock point.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Hey. i used a straight edge off the arrow rest and a square to the string. the nock is 3/8 above the rest, so it is in the acceptable zone. I think i will try move it up to 1/2 in above and add a second nock. and go from there.
    thanks for getting back to me so quickly.