Thread: deboning/aging meat ?

deboning/aging meat ?

i see alot of threads about quartering deer and processing , i always see the word deboning, what exactly is this?

i immediately hang my deer up skin them, then cut big chunks of meat away from the hind quarters/shoulders.. is this deboning or is there a different way i should be doing things.

im also interested in aging the meat i see alot of people say they have a fridge devoted to storing a deer for a few days or so, i always soak my venison in saltwater and or milk to get the blood out and make it taste better, is this the effect you get with aging the meat. or does it give it a different flavor when you age it.?

~~~And all you touch and all you see. Is all your life will ever be~~
    "P.Floyd"

Deboning is just taking the bone out, without just cutting meat off. Saves space when hanging it in a fridge, or letting it sit on ice in a cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    Deboning is just taking the bone out, without just cutting meat off. Saves space when hanging it in a fridge, or letting it sit on ice in a cooler.
    This^^^^^
    There are numerous youtube videos on how to do it. While the deer is hanging gravity helps a great deal when deboning. I age my meat for 7 to 10 days in a simple 100 qt. cooler with ice. I put the quartered deer in plastic bags and use a digital termometer to monitor the temp. I have never notice a taste difference but the tenderness is enhanced.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear