Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Effect of Injuries on Antler Growth?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171

    Effect of Injuries on Antler Growth?

    This past November the 9th, I had the below pictured buck come in and offer me a shot opportunity. My arrow deflected off a small branch and impacted the deer middle of body, and way high, on the buck's right side. The buck ran off leaving little to no blood, and after a 3 day search, I never found him.

    About 3 weeks later, I got pictures of the same buck in a nearby location, appearing to be doing just fine, other than the scar from my arrow. The scar indicates that the arrow passed through the buck, most likely above the spine. I can tell this because the scar is visible on both sides. The arrow either wiggled its way back out, or the whole way through, or the buck pulled it out, I have no idea. Never found the arrow.

    I haven't been able to put out a camera yet on this farm this year. My question is this: Do you think he will have an abnormal rack this year? Is this enough of an injury to cause that? Is this only true for injuries to the legs?

    Any guesses on a score/age from last years pics? We are guessing him at 4.5 yrs, right around 150"
    Thanks for any input.













    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff


  2. #2
    no. usually for the rack to be deform the injury is the testicles or the rear end of the deer. don't know why, but that is most of the time the case.

  3. #3
    Any injury can mess them up. Usually it is the front shoulders, legs, hips that caused antlers to be deformed on one side. Back strap hits?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    256
    I had a 160 class buck on trail camera a couple years ago that had a scar on his left back hip from where a bullet probably grazed him. Since he had that wound on his back left, his right antler had a bag cactus shaped brow tine. It looked like a regular brow tine with 3 or 4 little 3-3&1/2 in. kickers sticking out to the sides making it look like a cactus. So I'm guessing there MIGHT be a good chance your buck's antlers could be a little abnormal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171
    Bump
    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MD/PA
    Posts
    4,440
    i would doubt they will grow any different from a back strap hit. Kind of a artificial wound. I would say your 4.5 yr guess last year is right on the mark, as for the score, i see him more about 140 as a 9pt. unless im missing some tines???
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    124
    I would think a superficial/flesh wound wouldnt affect antler growth, but some kind of skeletal or bone damage would have more influence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by scootershooter1 View Post
    I would think a superficial/flesh wound wouldnt affect antler growth, but some kind of skeletal or bone damage would have more influence.
    ^This

  9. #9
    Any injury sustained by a deer can produce an irregular rack. Bone injuries are especially known for this but any injury can cause it. When a deer is injured, many of its nutrients go into healing the wound. Often they will become infected to some degree. This disturbs body condition and even can cause a leg or nearby joint to have problems. If an injury is sustained in the rear region, the deer will often show a rack deformation on the contralateral side (aka opposite side). Injuries to the front often show up on the same side. One of the theories to this involves what happens when bucks actually grow their antlers. When Calcium is needed for antler growth yet in short supply (and it happens many times even with proper nutrition) the buck's body will actually pull the calcium from around the rib cage making the bones weaker. This could mean that all of the bones are also used and that when a bone injury is sustained anywhere, it can affect the growth to one side do to a lack of the antler building block, Calcium, in the area of the body that it is pulled from.
    Wildlife & Fisheries Management Degree
    University of Tennessee
    Hoyt Shooter
    General Redneck

  10. #10
    Good news is that sometimes the buck can recover after a year or two or that an injury can actually produce a massive, yet sometimes ugly, growth of antlers. However, some studies have shown that the affects get worse and worse in the following years.
    Wildlife & Fisheries Management Degree
    University of Tennessee
    Hoyt Shooter
    General Redneck

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by VolArcher View Post
    Good news is that sometimes the buck can recover after a year or two or that an injury can actually produce a massive, yet sometimes ugly, growth of antlers. However, some studies have shown that the affects get worse and worse in the following years.
    Great info! So by these pictures, what do you think about this wound?
    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff

  12. #12
    Doesn't look too bad. Probably healed well. Infection probably would've set in by that time but you never know. I doubt that injury was enough to hurt the antler, but you never know about the any bone injuries on the inside. My gut tells me he will be as big or bigger so I don't think you have any reason to worry. I'd say your score of around 150" would be about right and the age is close. Haven't had experience aging deer out of the Southeast. Body looks 4.5 but the head and neck seem a little small and juvenile (around the 3.5) but hard to tell for me.
    Wildlife & Fisheries Management Degree
    University of Tennessee
    Hoyt Shooter
    General Redneck

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by VolArcher View Post
    Doesn't look too bad. Probably healed well. Infection probably would've set in by that time but you never know. I doubt that injury was enough to hurt the antler, but you never know about the any bone injuries on the inside. My gut tells me he will be as big or bigger so I don't think you have any reason to worry. I'd say your score of around 150" would be about right and the age is close. Haven't had experience aging deer out of the Southeast. Body looks 4.5 but the head and neck seem a little small and juvenile (around the 3.5) but hard to tell for me.
    Thanks man
    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171
    ttt
    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,154
    Here's one my brother hit last year in front of the front shoulder. I got a video of him after the season walking just fine. No noticable scars either that I can see, but definitely a deformed rack.


    Pre-injury

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by PAbigbear View Post
    Here's one my brother hit last year in front of the front shoulder. I got a video of him after the season walking just fine. No noticable scars either that I can see, but definitely a deformed rack.


    Pre-injury
    Yikes, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen
    Elite Energy 35
    JBK Bowstrings Pro-Staff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •