Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switchback vs Creed

Switchback vs Creed

Alright, first off I'm new around here so take it easy fellas!
    Im currently shooting a parker ultralite, its time for an upgrade. Ive always liked the switchback xt and consider it one of the best bows ever made and the smoothest bow I've ever shot. In looking at the new creed appears Mathews tried to create an improved version of the switchback with this new bow. So my question for you guys is, is it worth it in your eyes to spend the money on a used switchback xt, which still cost a pretty penny considering they are atleast 5 years old at this point or should I just go for the Creed at this point. I know everyone has their own opinion and nobody is the same so what would you do?

thanks guys.

I'd go Switchback all the way. Doesn't get much smoother than one of those. Definitely the best Matthews ever made IMO.
    2011 Bowtech Invasion
    2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340
    IF IT BLEEDS.....WE CAN KILL IT

I have a SBXT and I have shot a Creed quite a bit. The XT is much smoother, but the Creed is faster. Not that the Creed is unsmooth, just not as smooth as an XT.

Quote Originally Posted by WTM View Post
    I have a SBXT and I have shot a Creed quite a bit. The XT is much smoother, but the Creed is faster. Not that the Creed is unsmooth, just not as smooth as an XT.
    And I am just the opposite. I have shot an XT since 2007 but just purchased a Creed Wednesday. I'd have to say that I think the Creed is actually smoother to draw, for me anyway. To be honest though, how could you go wrong with either. I will tell you this however, the owner of the shop told me (after my purchase btw) that he thought the Creed was the best bow Mathews had made since the XT. I've also had others in that shop and others tell me that the XT was the best bow Mathews has ever made. And this was while I was testing other bows when they were new like the Drenalin or Reezen.

I went from an old high country to a parker ultralite so speed isn't a huge deal to me, accuracy is the killer in my eyes.

I guess what its coming down to for me is whether or not a 5 year old bow is worth the price they're going for or if I should spend the couple extra hundred for a creed... Hmmmmm.

When you say the XT still cost a pretty penny, I would say being that the bow is 5 years old, even though it is still a great bow, 400.00 tops is about right, for that old of a bow. I shoot a 6 year old Mathews Apex 7 for 3d and those older bows can still shoot lights out.
    Mathews Chill X, B-Stinger, HHA Sight, Limbdriver Pro V rest, Gold Tip 22's, Carter Chocolate Lite, Alpen Apex binoculars
    , Grim Reaper Razortip 1 3/8", Vortex Diamondback Binoculars, HSS Ultralight Harness

I guess it all depends how much you would like to spend, and how old of a bow you want. If all you are looking for is smooth, perhaps split the difference and look for an EZ7. It's smooth, but faster and newer than a switchback.
    IMHO I would go for the Creed. I know the archery world hasn't been turned upside down in 5 years, but the Creed is an amazing bow. Good luck with your decision!

I'd stick with the switchback. I've never known someone who sold it and doesn't regret it. Best bow they ever made.

2012 Mathews Z7 Extreme

I owned a switchback and there is no comparison to it the Z7 is the closet bow they made to the switchback the creed can't hold a candle to either one. If I had to choose I would by the switchback xt.

I had a switchback xt but I think the Creed is on a whole 'nother level! I sold my switchback and never looked back I would go with the Creed.

no comparison the creed

I currently own a creed but have 2 switchback xt's in my family so I have a lot of experience with it. Even borrowed my Uncles one time because I had left my bow back in California and killed a buck with one.

There's a lot to like about the Creed but I don't think there will ever be a smoother drawing bow than the Switchback XT. There's just no comparison. The Creed wins in every other category...which it should but in order to win in those other categories they had to give up something.

That being said.....I would not pay more 350 for a bare XT. Maybe just maybe 400 for one with new strings and no wear.

I love the Creed and so will you but there's no comparison in the draw cycle.

It's great to see the opinions out there. To sum it up shoot what feels good to you. A local shop will have a Creed to shoot, only problem is finding a switchback to try. Love the switchback it's a great bow very smooth but I have a Creed tactical now and I love everything about it. But that's just me. Next guy might hate the way it feels and will stick with the switchback. If you can shoot both side by side then do that and go for the one you like the best.

I will x2 what jmonte35 said about everything but the smoothness of the draw. I feel the Creed is smother but again that's me. price wise switchback no more than 350- 400 at most. So if a switchback feels better to you you can save yourself quite a bit of cashola. Creed is worth it though. Best of luck with your decision.

Well all I can say is I had a Reason 7.0 at 40yds shot a 6in group went to the Creed and 2 in groups. I never owned a switchback but shot a few (great bow) I say Creed all the way awesome bow.
    Mathews Creed for hunting
    Monster 7 for 3D

Sold my switchback and went with the Chill, glad I did......

I just got my creed a couple days ago an love it if I was you I would shoot both an see what one feels best for you but like the other guys said your not gonna go wrong either way

i just bought a used switchback, love the bow. i've had newer models but it is still hard to beat, the fact that they are still sought after speaks in volume of how great a bow it was/is.
    we owe you nothing

I was in the same boat as you but for me it came down to cost, seeing I needed all the accessories to go with it.Back in May I purchased a SB 29.5 "60#and last week bought a SB XT 28"70# . Both of them combined cost about the same as one creed. Not sure wich one but one of them I will be keeping but one of them will be up for sale in a week or two.

I have a switchback and love it but to tell you the honest truth if I had the money to buy a new bow instead I would. Yes the switchback is smooth but I haven't shot a bow yet that I didn't think was smooth. To be honest I think the Bear Charge I had shot just as well as my Switchback.
    Team 34 - The Penetrators
    Bear Motive 6 29"/70#

Quote Originally Posted by drenalin ld View Post
    Funny, I wonder how it would go over with Mathews if this dude said, "I would keep your 7 year old Switchback because the latest and greatest isn't really an upgrade". I own a Switchback, z7 mag and ez7. I've owned a dr2 and drenalin ld too. I think Mathews nailed it with the sb, sbxt and drenalin/dld. These newer models, which I own two, are far more susceptible to hand torque owing to the extreme reflex in their design. They did this for speed. As far as being lighter, I've added more weight to these bows to increase stability. A short, light bow is not the most desirable tool imo for hunting whitetails out of a tree stand. So, don't buy into marketing crap. Bow technology as we know it is maxed out. Matt has said this. Marketing has to "create" a new story every year so we"ll go down to the shop and take our wallets out.
    Darton DS-3714
    Centaur Carbon Elte

Quote Originally Posted by quick kill View Post
    Funny, I wonder how it would go over with Mathews if this dude said, "I would keep your 7 year old Switchback because the latest and greatest isn't really an upgrade". I own a Switchback, z7 mag and ez7. I've owned a dr2 and drenalin ld too. I think Mathews nailed it with the sb, sbxt and drenalin/dld. These newer models, which I own two, are far more susceptible to hand torque owing to the extreme reflex in their design. They did this for speed. As far as being lighter, I've added more weight to these bows to increase stability. A short, light bow is not the most desirable tool imo for hunting whitetails out of a tree stand. So, don't buy into marketing crap. Bow technology as we know it is maxed out. Matt has said this. Marketing has to "create" a new story every year so we"ll go down to the shop and take our wallets out.
    What he said
    Deut. 6:5

Thanks guys, I really want to get my hands on a creed and see how it shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by KY_BowGuy View Post
    I'd stick with the switchback. I've never known someone who sold it and doesn't regret it. Best bow they ever made.

2012 Mathews Z7 Extreme
    Sold mine to a good buddy, and been trying to get it back since! That bow is lights out! I do love my Chill!!
    2014 Obsession Evolution @ 29.25 380 gr Vap @ 319
    2014 Obsession Phoenix @ 29.25 380 gr Vap @ 300

"We keep score! If you sign up doesnt mean you play! Everyone doesnt get a trophy! There are no treats after every game! Welcome to life!! Glenn Spencer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast