Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadhead Test Results..Real Meat test!

Broadhead Test Results..Real Meat test!

Ok first let me say that this is OUR test the way WE wanted it....Some may have done it differently or have other opinions but this is the way WE wanted it!!! We have ZERO bias towards any head, and just giving you the results the way they came!! So if your a fanboy of one head so be it! but this is the way we did it and the results WE got!!

The medium was LARGE spare ribs...With 2 15-18# bone out shoulders (pork) in middle with another spare rib on back! we used tanned rabbit skins for entry to check for the wounds! Each head shot multiple times, to make sure Ribs were centered on entry, and ribs hit on exit! Yes we went thru a ton of meat !!!!! Bow was an Obsession LF2 with Axis 400gr arrow traveling 280fps

Entry wound results largest wound to smallest.

1. G5 T3
    2. Rage Hypodermic (standard and deep six)
    3. Ulmer Edge
    4 Sanford Expandead
    5. Ramcat
    6. Exodus
    7. Slick Trick
    7. Grave Digger
    7. Grim Reaper
    7. Spitfire max
    8. Montec
    9. Killzone
    10.Swacker

All the 7's were to close to call....The T3 really surprised us all...It and the Ulmer were only ones to get FULL open on entry...The Rage was only 1 1/2 to
    1 3/4" at entry! All mechanicals were fully open right after ribs...this is just entry wound results!

T3...

Rage (top) and Ulmer

Worst was Shwacker

Next is penetration averaged from multiple shots.....Best to worst!!
    Penetration was established thru the Meat medium (12" thick of straight meat ribs both sides) then 12" behind meat medium was a BRAND NEW broadhead foam target...Penetration was measured in Foam target after passing thru meat medium.

1. Montec 11 3/4"
    2. Ramcat 11 5/8"
    3. qad exodus 11 1/2"
    3 Slick Trick 11 1/2"
    3 T3 11 1/2" (did not expect this)
    4.Ulmer 10 1/2"
    5.Grim reaper 9 1/2"
    6. Rage hypodermic 9"
    7.Spitfire 8"
    8. Expandead 6 3/4"
    9. Killzone 6 1/4"
    10. Grave Digger 5 7/8"
    11.Swhacker 5 1/2"
    Side Note...All heads went thru the 12" meat medium and Hit ribs almost centered...I think they ALL would have exited a whitetail shot correctly.

Durability......All heads were good except for Rage, Ramcat and Grave Digger

Exit Wounds

1. Grave Digger
    2. Killzone
    3. T3
    4 Rage Hypo
    5. Spitfire
    6. Grim Reaper
    7. Shwacker
    8. Expandead
    8. Ulmer
    9. Ramcat
    10. Exodus
    10. Slick Trick
    11. Montec

Grave Digger exit 2+" by 1"

I guess all in all the T3 was the big surprise...HUGE entry and Great penetration! Rage Hypodermic was shot 5 times (new heads) and NONE of them made 2" entry....Pretty close but not there!

So take these results as you will or with Grain of salt....But this is our results!!

The rest is just some testing pixs....

Rage exit..

Medium with T3 chunk

]

Hope you enjoy!! Thanks to Nick, JR and buddy for there help today!!

GF
    GT Performance Archery
    Xpedition/Obsession/Athens/

General Pix's....

11=" of straight meat
    [URL=http://s917.photobucket.com/user/GForce_Stabilization/media/20130630_145235.jpg.html][/URL
    GT Performance Archery

GT Performance Archery

Very nice review..thanks!

Awesome test and report. It is great that you guys took the time to not only conduct these test for yourselves but then to take the time to write it all out for us here on AT. Good work. It is always great to see how broadheads perform.
    John's Custom Prostaff { no other string is even close }

So overall the T3 was the best?

What were the top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by hedp View Post

So overall the T3 was the best?

What were the top 5?
    There really is not a Ranking because everyone wants something different in a broadhead...some want penetration, some want biggest entry...exit etc.......I am just posting data for everyone to make there own decisions.

GF
    GT Performance Archery

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    As a Montec guy I am curious, hom superior was the penetration and how much smaller were the entry & exit wounds? Thanks.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    As a Montec guy I am curious, hom superior was the penetration and how much smaller were the entry & exit wounds? Thanks.
    I mean the penetration is the best out of all of these.....I sell a bunch to kids and ladies to get penetration! The entry wound was just as wide as the head...Because of its sleek sharp end and cut on contact style it has no "gather factor" so the entry wound is not that impressive...But it has always bee a solid performer and it was the penetration base line for this test.

GF
    GT Performance Archery

Ton of work ......thx for posting. What about checking heads to see which didn't hold their razor sharpness?

its been my experience the more tapered designs put less pressure/dulling of the blades [plus steel quality of course], would you concur?
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

Thanks for this awesome review and putting your time and money into it!

nice review, i like it much better than shooting into gel
    ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ....

Quote Originally Posted by 4IDARCHER View Post
    Awesome test and report. It is great that you guys took the time to not only conduct these test for yourselves but then to take the time to write it all out for us here on AT. Good work. It is always great to see how broadheads perform.
    X2. Thanks!
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Hoyt Carbon Spyder

Great job. Its amazing to see the differences between the designs.

great job - thanks for sharing unbiased data
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

Awesome review! Thank you for posting your findings.

The Spitfires(who many think are garbage) performed nicely.

Nice review! A lot of work went into this. Thanks!
    STAY CALM AND RETURN FIRE

Great job..I Havent even looked at your results but anybody who spends there money and time doing a review gets a from me...Grizz
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...

Nice test. Good info. If you ever have some extra meat laying around and youre feeling froggy.....ship a toxic through. It would be interesting to see what they do.
    Insanity CPX PRODIGY Insanity CPXL
    Pass-Thru Posse

Great review. Thanks for taking the time and money on this. Not sure if I missed it but how far were the shots for testing?
    Mathews Chill X, QAD HDX, Spot Hogg, Tight Spot, Bee Stinger
    Bowtech Experience, TT Smackdown pro, Spot Hogg, Tight Spot, Bee Stinger
    Bowtech Tribute - Dads last bow now retired

Just want to say thank you! I have wanted to do something like this on my own but knew it would be quite expensive.

Cool test. The test was performed with last years model (2012) of the Grave Digger correct? The easiest way to tell is in the 2013 version both screws have allen heads. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Either way it was a cool test.
    No Limit Archery
    Where Accuracy…Meets Devastation
    Ringer Release & Grave Digger Broadheads
    Victory VAP"s
    Lumenok

Quote Originally Posted by lunghit View Post
    Great review. Thanks for taking the time and money on this. Not sure if I missed it but how far were the shots for testing?
    Shot at 7 yards....for 2 reasons....Wanted to make sure arrow had settled and to make sure I hit a rib on entry and exit.

GF
    GT Performance Archery

very cool thanks
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

Quote Originally Posted by nolimitarchery View Post
    Cool test. The test was performed with last years model (2012) of the Grave Digger correct? The easiest way to tell is in the 2013 version both screws have allen heads. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Either way it was a cool test.
    Yes sir... Would have loved to tried the Trocar tip version, but none of my suppliers had any! GIANT exit wound....Would like to see how the changes effect entry for 2013!
    Maybe see a round 2 coming!!

GF
    GT Performance Archery

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast