Thread: cut on contact vs mechanical

cut on contact vs mechanical

if people recommend cut on contact for low poundage set-ups, then why not shoot them for any set-up? isn't cut on contact a better head period? is it just a fad? fast arrows will shoot them fine if you tune your bow.

If you prefer a 1" hole with your broadhead stuck 2' into the dirt over a 2" hole and 6" of dirt penetration, yes. I will use the COC mech with a 2" hole for now.
    Steve K

If you are a tight to the shoulder shooter like my self then you prefer the bone busting trocar tips. It is much easier to break bone then it is to try and wedge it a part with a coc. Now if you are talking thick coc or more preferably a thick single bevel they also have bone busting ability but may be limited to small diameters. When you shoot a bow and arrow combo that produces high k.e. and momentum you have the ability to stick your arrow deeper in the dirt or you can use it to utilize a head that creates more trauma through the animal and sticks a little less deep in the dirt. I prefer utilizing a bone busting, hole punching large diameter broadhead.
    There will be haters, doubters, unbelievers and then there will be you proving them wrong

This is gonna be a long one.............

I shoot a 1 and 1/16, 4 blade COC. It punches through 99.9% of the time and leaves a blood trail that I have never been let down on. It never opens in flight or never fails to open on contact. Sometimes simple is better. But that is just me.
    Your ability as an archer will always be judged by the next shot your about to take. Make it count.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC Pro Nirto 2.0 cams 60lbs @ 30"
    2012 Rytera Alien XT Hybrix 2.0 cams 60 lbs @ 30"
    2014 ELITE Energy 35 60 lbs @ 30" (Won it here on AT!!)

why not use what you like, and not worry about other people
    NEW Mongrel LOGO on TEAM PAGE
    Quote Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
    Pinski you are the Archery innovator of the decade.
    Vortex Optics
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1061263717 The Great Mongrel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pinski79 View Post
    why not use what you like, and not worry about other people
    Thats what i do,you would think that so many wouldnt have a complex on the equipment they use........
    X-Force Militia
    "Anything but Tricks"
    "I always thought of this as God's country."

-Jack Granatstein

Most light weight COC heads can sometimes have issues with the lead blade curling over if heavy bone is contacted and are typically of smaller diameters. If you are shooting higher poundage with more KE then using a head that can break those bones with heavy tipped b-head instead of the cutting blade itself can be better. Also you can go way up in diameter and still have great penetration.
    Top Notch Taxidermy
    Preserving your memory one Mount at a time...!

'08 PSE X-Force 28" draw 60 lbs 370gr 298fps 73ft/lbs KE
    Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, Trophy Ridge Alpha 5 V-pin, Trophy Ridge ShockBlock stabilizer, Vibracheck string suppressor, Cabelas Elite Stalkers w/ Blazers, Muzzy 100gr 3-blade

It dont really matter when Im taking head shots

I like a 2 blade cut on contact with a cutting dia at least 1'' 1/8 scary sharp and all steel that I can resharpen in the field the flying switch blade mech heads do nothing for me. But I don't hunt whitetail deer I hunt mule deer and elk and bear.I need max penetration

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-1 View Post
    haha yessir

Quote Originally Posted by carbon arrow1 View Post
    if people recommend cut on contact for low poundage set-ups, then why not shoot them for any set-up? isn't cut on contact a better head period? is it just a fad? fast arrows will shoot them fine if you tune your bow.
    many of us do shoot them, from any and every set up,, with faster bows and heavier arrows there is more room for "options" some people don't/wont/cant broad head tune, they tend to use mechanical heads for those reasons to get better flight from untuned bows,, some people wont practice until the day before season,, they tend to migrate to mechanical heads,,some people wont try anything for themselves and can and are sold all kinds of things,,,

some of us don't see much reason for mechanical heads to exist,,, because we can and do shoot fixed heads very well even at long range,,
    fixed heads are more dependable, mechanicals when they do work correctly tend to cut a bigger hole,, cant really complain about bigger holes!
    mechanical heads passed the point of a fad several years ago,,,

some people like corvettes, some like Harleys, some like ford some like dodge,,, in the end if you are just trying to get from point A to point B,, does not make much difference what the ride is,,, if your going to haul or tow,, it does make a difference,, I want and require utter dependability,, I shoot fixed heads,,, some people don't think about it as much, so mechanicals are fine...........
    but any quality fixed head will work on any poundage bow that would be considered reasonable to hunt with...

Why non use a coc mechanical head

I use both. Mechanical (Chisel Tipped Rage) for deer and fixed for hogs. Same arrow for both.
    The mechanical is one nasty hombre that has a jaw dropping effect on deer. But on the harder to penetrate hogs, my 3 blade trocar tipped Muzzy never lets me down.
    I bare shaft tune my bow to perfection so I can pick and choose what BH and when I want to shoot them.
    I put enough arrow behind either one to get the job done. FMJ's.
    V.P. Central Florida Archers
    Blue PSE Supra ME for 3-D,
    Black PSE Supra ME for Field and Target,

I know lots of guys that shoot mechanicals on whitetails and love them. They leave an amazing blood trail and give you piece of mind if you are a tad back because the blades are so wide you may still catch a lung. They are not for me, however, as I hunt a lot of hogs and have several personally witnessed fail stories for mechanicals on hogs. I know my Destroyer at 29" and 72#'s with a 450gr arrow and COC BH is a bit much for our little deer here, but I am not interested in changing my setup each time I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-1 View Post
    Or a Texas heart shot
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.