Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First deer kill w/ bow stories

First deer kill w/ bow stories

Hello all, I have yet to arrow my first deer but look forward to doing so this fall. In the meantime I would love to hear the story behind your first archery deer. Please post pictures if you have them as well. Thanks.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind" - Fred Bear

"Let him go so he can grow" - QDMA

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpB...hp?f=33&t=3063

using a martin jaguar at 63# 28" shooting a beman ics hunter 400, with a 100 gr thunderhead I killed mine the first day I ever bow hunted,, had a tree stand for a rifle with about a 50 yard shot,, took a chair set it were I knew the deer would be crossing and pulled some 2" pine saplings down and across in front of me, tied them together wind blowing hard in my face,, mosquitos were terrible I was wearing a healthy coating of repel sweating like I was in a steam room, deer came out like clock work 18 yards made a hard angling shot on a doe went through her lengthways and the arrow dropped out on the ground,, she went about 20 yards...
    that stand site was one of the most productive I have ever seen.. year in and year out, for myself and two other guys

Shot my first with a 92 model pearson cobra shooting old aluminum logs for arrows and muzzy broadheads. He came in to about 7yds from my tree chasing a doe and i twelve ringed him he went 40yds and piled up i was very excited to kill about a 20" forkhorn.
    2013 PSE DNA Platinum Skulls Camo/ 502gr FMJ 340 arrow 28.5"DL 60lbs/ WB rest and tightspot quiver/ Tru-Glo Super Slam with 6" extension bar/Truball thumb release

Quote Originally Posted by okiehunt View Post
    Shot my first with a 92 model pearson cobra shooting old aluminum logs for arrows and muzzy broadheads. He came in to about 7yds from my tree chasing a doe and i twelve ringed him he went 40yds and piled up i was very excited to kill about a 20" forkhorn.
    Ya gotta start somewhere. I'll take a doe for my first.

Hunted a block of woods behind my house as a kid, had a XI flatliner with alum arrows and 100 gr rocky mountains, got up in the stand after school (HS) and had two does come in about 15 yrds feeding. I shot and she ran about 10 years and laid down, then I watched and her head just hit the leaves about 1 min later. I got down and scared the other deer off which was only about 30 yrds away but I didn't care. I ran all the way home which was about 1/2 mile to my house, called my dad at work and said better come home I shot a deer.

I was shooting a Mathews Outback. 50# maybe, I had just had shoulder surgery about 6 months before season. Beaman arrows with a muzzy 4x broadhead. I was sitting in a ladder stand, sweating and swatting bugs. When a nice doe started up the draw. She waked down the trail about 25 yard shot broadside. Stopped, I drew back and settled the pin. She jerked her head up and looked right at me, I panicked and jerk the shot high and left. I heard it hit her, she turned to run and I saw blood spray about 15 feet up the side of the tree. She went maybe 20 yards and died. I hit her juggler veins in her neck, super lucky and very sloppy. Later that evening old 1 eared buck came down the same trail but I didn't even have confidence to pick up my bow. He went and laid next to that doe for half hour and then slipped away. I'm still chasing after him 3 years later. Since then many doe have fallen with way better shots, but I'm still waiting for horns. I'm picky and pass young bucks everyday I went out. Someday it will all come together for me and for you. Good luck hunting and enjoy every minute

Killed him at 30 yards on nov. 14 2009. 3:43 in the afternoon. He just came walking out and my dad was in a stand about 30 yards to the left of me and I had already came to full draw and was waiting for him to stop

When my dad from the other stand let out a grunt and stopped him. I shot and made the best shot I've ever made on a deer to this day. He was a small 8 point.

Diamond razor edge 45 lbs 24" draw. Muzzy mx3, zipped right through him with a 380 grain arrow. He went 50 yards. Weird to think that was 4 years ago.

Good luck!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372821305.937384.jpg

keep em coming

It took 10 years for me to arrow my first deer, but I had only gotten serious about bowhunting in the last 4 years. I was on a new property that I had only been on once to just see if there was any sign to see if it was worth the 40 minute drive to hunt. I noticed that a cold front was moving through and decided to hunt the new property. I walked in and jumped 3 does that were by where I wanted to sit. I sat all evening through the rain storm without seeing a deer, until the storm broke 30 minutes before dusk. I looked to my right and there stood a good buck that wasnt there a minute ago, and he was straight down wind. He walked down the trail I was sitting on, and gave me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot. I pinwheeled him, and fell over 30 yards later. Lets just say I came unglued at that point. I got him back from the taxi in May, and came out awesome.

1019121634.jpgIMG_20130411_210444_686.jpg
    Shop shooter for Advancement Archery in Mineral Point, WI

Target Bow= 2011 Hoyt Alpha Elite 56#, Ax 4500 w/CR scope 5 power, Shrewd Stabilizers, TT spring steel

I was 14 years old. Asked permission on the next door property to where I lived, it was about 20 acres or so. Set up a feeder and a ladder stand hunted it after school mostly. One cold sleet/rainy November day I got home from school rushed in grabbed my bow an toke off to my stand. I sat in that stand many times an never saw a deer. I was up there about an hour an I look over an here comes a buck! Then another buck all I new is the first one was legal an had no idea what the second one was because I was so focused on the closer one. The deer walked right out to the feeder an I drew back an let her fly an the deer took a couple steps an I hit the deer in the butt!!! I was still very excited went home told my parents they didn't believe me lol. I tracked that deer for a couple hours never found him. My mom new I was bummed out so she let me stay home from school the next day to let me go look for my deer. I had a friend with me an we spread out through these woods looking for the deer, an after about an hour we finally found him lying next to a rub! He was a 8 point my first deer with a bow! I will never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDXT View Post
    I was 14 years old. Asked permission on the next door property to where I lived, it was about 20 acres or so. Set up a feeder and a ladder stand hunted it after school mostly. One cold sleet/rainy November day I got home from school rushed in grabbed my bow an toke off to my stand. I sat in that stand many times an never saw a deer. I was up there about an hour an I look over an here comes a buck! Then another buck all I new is the first one was legal an had no idea what the second one was because I was so focused on the closer one. The deer walked right out to the feeder an I drew back an let her fly an the deer took a couple steps an I hit the deer in the butt!!! I was still very excited went home told my parents they didn't believe me lol. I tracked that deer for a couple hours never found him. My mom new I was bummed out so she let me stay home from school the next day to let me go look for my deer. I had a friend with me an we spread out through these woods looking for the deer, an after about an hour we finally found him lying next to a rub! He was a 8 point my first deer with a bow! I will never forget it.
    Thats a great story! Im glad you finally found him.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Happened 20 years ago when I was 10 on October 10th, 1993. My ole man set me up in his favorite stand. I remember looking at him saying you want me to climb up there and hunt out of that? He handed me one of those death safety belts that was just a belt around your waist and said you will be fine. He left and hunted another stand.

I was facing this bench that pretty much eye level with me. He told me the deer never came from that way and they would always come through the downhill side. Well as luck would have it here came a little 6 pointer on the bench. Man I was shaking so hard it was uncontrollable. He came right in to 15 yards and just stared at me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. He finally busted and ran way.

My dad got down early that night as he started to get worried about me thinking man I just left my kid hunting 20ft up who has never been in a tree. He walked over to the field edge about 100 yards away and said he was just waiting there till dark. I was in the timber with full canopy and it was getting dark. I noticed a deer coming from the way buck ran. I thought for sure it was him but I did not even check. I just kept focusing on where I wanted to hit like my dad said. He said don't look at the rack or you will mess up. The deer got about 7 yards behind me and I drew. It was pretty dark but still shooting hours but I had a hard time finding the painted green pin. I finally found it and the deer stopped. I let go and heard the smack. The deer ran off and I heard a crash.

My dad came down and was like did you just shoot one. I could not even talk. We went back and got some flashlights. We followed the trail 80 yards without a drop of blood. My dad thought I missed but I was persistent that I hit it. we finally found one drop of blood. We walked 10 feet farther and there layed a 115lb doe. We were pumped.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372826344.417385.jpg

Umm yeah, 10 yds... Spine shot...it's not all about size.

2011 Bear Strike at 65 lbs at time.

2012 Mathews Z7 Extreme

September 24th 2004. 3:32 PM. (No joke)
    I was 14, set up about 150 yards from my dad, on my Grandparents property. Like clockwork, three does came down the hill towards my ground blind, but this time, I was set up 15 yards up the hill, tucked into a hellacious briar patch. The lead doe caught a whiff of something she didn't like, and took to stomping and blowing up a storm. I remember it like it was yesterday, my yellow pin settling just under her elbow, the slight arc of that green nock, and the hollow thump of an arrow hitting home.

I snuck to my dads stand and somehow managed to stutter that I had hit one. He and I took up the trail, and 60 or so yards down the trail lay that doe, my first bowkill, and something I will remember until the day I die.

Over 30 more big game animals have fallen to my arrows since then, but I doubt any other will ever mean as much. It is truly a life changing experience. I quick thanks to dad, who brought me into this sport, taught me most everything I know, and continues to teach and inspire me...

"Eyes Front"
    Whitehair Hunting and Fishing Travel - WhitehairHFT@Live.com
    PSE - SCOTT - EASTON -TROPHY TAKER - Q.A.D - HHA - B STINGER

Shot mine when I was 14. It was pouring down rain and I was hunting a cut corn field next to the house. I was soaked to the bone and lowered my bow to the ground. I took one step down and looked back in the field and there stood a doe. Back in the stand and pulled the bow back up she walked straight to me. I took the most unethical shot I have ever taken straight on in the chest. She ran about 50 yards and piled up. When I finally found the giant 60 pounder in the corn stubble I ran all the way back to the house leaping 3 rows at a time. Mom came running into the kitchen freaking out. SHe thought I had gotten hurt. LOL What a great day.
    Strother WRATH
    Spot Hogg Hunter
    LimbDriver Micro Elite, Victory VForce 350, Dead Ringer Rampage 2 blade, TruFire Hardcore Release, Dead Center Level Hunter
    OPEN SEASON TV PRO STAFF www.openseasontv.com

first buck.jpgsilverhawk.JPG15 yrs old pse silver hawk. easton alluminum arrows muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. 15 yards liver shot ran about 120 yrds
    Stouts Preditor Instincts on Face book

.facebook95-2003529306.jpgMy first bow deer was just last year, I have been doing good with does for rifle but never shot a buck, let alone never saw one rifle hunting! I took up bow hunting last year due to my neighbor talking me into it and hooked me up with my PSE Firestorm lite. My first deer with bow turned out to be a 112" 8 pointer and at 16 yards from a tree stand that scares the crap out of me (have to monkey climb the last 4 feet and has a branch that comes out that wont let you sit strait). After I let the arrow fly I about fell out of the stand (yes I was wearing a harness (I wont leave home without it!)) due to the rush! He went about 45 yards total and I climbed down to check it out, I watched him pull the arrow out from his side and take his last breath from 5 feet away!Deer.JPGrage.jpg
    2010 High Country Archery Iron Mace 30" 70# draw, HHA sight, QAD Ultrarest HD, Proline Strings, DCA Hunters cut to 30.125", G5 Montec 100grain 1 1/16", and Muzzy MX3, Trufire Hurricane release. Haymond's Archery Pro Staffer!

After hunting an entire season and blanking and going through a divorce the next year and only getting in one gun hunt that I killed a buck on I was chomping at the bit for archery season to open up. I shot archery as a teen but didn't know anyone who hunted that could take me so I didn't get back into hunting untill I was 26.
    Well opening day I was running late and someone else was in the spot I wanted to hunt on public land. I headed a couple ridges over and set up after daylight thinking I wasn't going to see anything. About 900am I look up and here comes a basket racked 8 pointer in full velvet walking twords my stand. I drew and shot him and watched him run off. After waiting about an hour and packing my stand to truck I start to look for blood. I never did find any but about 80 yards down hill I found my buck layed up against a fallen log.
    The funniest part was I remember looking around when I found him to make sure it was my deer. Like there were a ton of 8 point bucks freshky killed laying around the woods on opening day, lol. It sure was a great feeling and more than made up for the season I spent without getting a deer and all the ones since then I have eaten tag soup. No better feeling in the world than the rush I get after the shoot and when walking up on my downed deer.
    Great stories folks, I have really enjoyed them. Please keep'em coming.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

My first archery kill was in 1988 when I was 11. I was shooting a Hoyt Rambo youth bow. I was pulling back a whopping 24 pounds. Killed the first deer that came in, it was a small spike horn.

I think this is a pic of my first with the bow, in the mid 70's.
    Just before season opened, I scouted a spot, and found a trail going over a grassy hill. I built a 2x4 stand about 10yds off the trail. It couldn't have been more than 12ft up. I remember my buddy(holding the rack) tacking nails to a stick to pass them up to me. Opening morning a spike came down the trail, following my script to a tee. I double lunged it using a Bear Whitetail bow. It went about 100yds.

3.jpg

I started bow hunting in 2008 and everyone told me you will be shaking even if its a doe. I said "yeah right". they were not lying. The first doe i took aim at i was so shook up that i didnt even look thru the peep and shot right over its back. A couple of days later, I got another chance and connected, but its was by shear luck. i was gripping the bow so tight and torqued the crap out of it. when the arrow flew, I saw it go from right to left like someone else had fired it. The doe had her head down feeding, perfectly broadside and i aimed just behind the front shoulder. when I shot, she jerked her head up and the arrow hit her in the neck. She ran about 100 yds and piled up. Ive killed 14 deer with my bow since then and still get adrenalin pumping even when i draw on a doe but I am better at staying focused and "pick a spot".
    Crackerized 06 Bowtech Tribute 70lb 30" draw
    QAD ultra HDX rest
    Black Gold sights

Being a self -taught hunter and starting with the bow......it took me a long time to arrow my first deer. It was in Co in the 80's. I had glassed a ridge and saw several Elk & mule deer use this particular trail. Having a tag for both I decided to set at a small water hole that the elk used as a wallow and the deer were drinking from. I have my back against an embankment and was sitting on the ground.

A young mule deer popped out and was broadside at maybe 12 yards.........I was so nervous I missed and the deer bolted about 10 yards. As it was running I got another arrow out and when it stopped I shot.....and missed again.....lol. This went on and on until I connected at 42 yards and knew from the sound I had a hit......but was it a good hit?

I was so shook up I had to count the missing spaces in my quiver to see how many times I had even shot.....sadly it was 4. If it were an older deer I would probably never got it but things worked out. Like many new archers I was in the field and really unprepared and was lucky to even get the deer but since then I have learned a lot. It was a lot harder before Al Gore invented the internet but the firsthand experience/ mistakes really made you learn from the ground up.

It was dark before I got back to camp so we got the Coleman lanterns and me and the other “rookies” started tracking. The deer went about 75 yards and was pile up. Wouldn’t change a thing the way it played out. The picture was taken the next morning.

Maybe that's why I come here so much........hoping to help folks avoid all the mistakes I made when it was harder to get help. Either way it was a memory I'll never forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    .facebook95-2003529306.jpgMy first bow deer was just last year, I have been doing good with does for rifle but never shot a buck, let alone never saw one rifle hunting! I took up bow hunting last year due to my neighbor talking me into it and hooked me up with my PSE Firestorm lite. My first deer with bow turned out to be a 112" 8 pointer and at 16 yards from a tree stand that scares the crap out of me (have to monkey climb the last 4 feet and has a branch that comes out that wont let you sit strait). After I let the arrow fly I about fell out of the stand (yes I was wearing a harness (I wont leave home without it!)) due to the rush! He went about 45 yards total and I climbed down to check it out, I watched him pull the arrow out from his side and take his last breath from 5 feet away!Deer.JPGrage.jpg
    Thats a great way to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    The deer pulled the arrow out of his side???!!! Did I read that right?

October 12, 1996...

...been bow hunting for 8 years without even getting a shot at one. This yearling doe slipped in behind me @ 15 yards eating persimmons. I drew back, had hair in the sight and let it fly, perfect gut shot! I was so jacked up being that close to one I forgot to aim, gave her 12 hours and found her the next morning. Had actually caught part of the liver on the entrance. None the less I was stoked and have been obsessed with this sport ever since. The believe it was a Hoyt Enticer with A/C/C 3-39 tipped with Thunderheads...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bowtech / Sureloc / FMJ 400's / Wasp Boss SST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast