a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Hoyt Buffalo Recurve

Hoyt Buffalo Recurve

I just purchased a 50# RH Hoyt Buffalo recurve from an AT member and I got to throw a dozen arrows through it before I have to go to work.

I didn't mess with it, as the tiller was set by previous owner, and he said it shot best at (near) the 8" BH setting, so string was left untouched.

While I have not shot traditional archery continuously like I did when I was a young lad, I shoot my Black Widow 50# quite a bit, so I can make a good comparison to that.

From just a "shooting" perspective, the Hoyt shoots sooo much nicer to me. I absolutely love the grip, it fits my hand and style perfectly. But the most impressive part was the lack of noise and vibration. No hand shock. I also like the weight. The balance nod goes to my Black Widow, as does the look. The Black Widow is a work of art.

I am really looking forward to more shooting sessions with this bow.
    Present to Past: 14' BowTech RPM 360, 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350, 10' BT D350, 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

awesome,thats the #1 bow I want right now, I shot one at our archery club and it is super sweet, made me want to get back into traditional which I am as we speak ,just havnt found the bow I want yet

Congrats! Thats the first choice I have in mind but couldn't get one from our local proshop. I was told a long waiting time. Avenger's sparks me into looking for that. =)

They are a nice takedown hunting bow for sure. If your pro shop "can't" get them just find one on line from Lancasters, 3 rivers or others. There is no shortage of them.....
    <+><

Oh gosh.. I was told it has shortage of Hoyt recurve bows.
    Even the Horizon I got to wait for 4 weeks!! hmmm...

There is about any version of it on ebay now. A few in stock at lancasters not all but a few. Didn't check 3 rivers but they are just a call away. Most of the sellers on the bay have good feedback also if you want one you can find it. Between that and searching some classified listings I bet you can find what you are looking for.
    <+><

737, Your bow is marked 50lbs, does it feel like 50, or maybe heavier? Some Hoyts tend to run heavier than marked (I had a GM2 that did, with 2 sets of limbs I had for it).

There is only a shortage when you deal with local compound oriented bow shops

Las has them and so does three rivers

I once asked to order a Bear Super Kodiak. I was told by the local shop, who didn't stock them at the time, that there was a shortage of Bear bows, because of the Tsunami in Japan... Claimed that Bear bought it's Fiberglass there, and couldn't get Fiberglass. I asked why they didn't just call Owens Corning and tell them that they wanted some Fiberglass. I was told that Owens Corning was in Japan...

Uh....

I just shut up and dropped it. Ordered one from 3 rivers. Came in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneySlayer View Post
    I once asked to order a Bear Super Kodiak. I was told by the local shop, who didn't stock them at the time, that there was a shortage of Bear bows, because of the Tsunami in Japan... Claimed that Bear bought it's Fiberglass there, and couldn't get Fiberglass. I asked why they didn't just call Owens Corning and tell them that they wanted some Fiberglass. I was told that Owens Corning was in Japan...

Uh....

I just shut up and dropped it. Ordered one from 3 rivers. Came in a week.
    Lol
    Black Widow PSA
    Goldtip Traditionals
    Treesharks and Buzzcuts

Shoot a Dorado here and love it.
    2013 Trade Tech Titan 3 with Blackmax Carbon Limbs (Traditional setup)
    2014 Bear Agenda 7 (3d Comp and hunting Rig)

What I wouldn't give for a traditional shop where I could go and hold/touch/draw a plethora of bows! Every bow I've ever bought came in a big brown truck and if I didn't like it the only option was to sell it to someone else, usually at least a small loss!
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

If you're getting a lot of noise and vibration on your BW, something is definitely not right..

I've owned both, and while I did enjoy the Buffalo, I enjoyed the Widow a lot more.

Mac
    Earl Hoyt Hunter Supreme 64" recurve. . 66lbs. Soon to have Centaur Hunter Supreme long bow...

The one I had was on a scale od 1-10 a solid 7 not like a top custom bow but better than any other production bow I had shot and some customes as well. I to had a 50# 62". It bottomed at 53# but Hoyt ssaid they marked draw weight was the middle of the weight range and so that was about right. It liked a little over 8 on BH not much but a sould 1/8 more and it shot the quietest.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

Quote Originally Posted by AReric View Post
    737, Your bow is marked 50lbs, does it feel like 50, or maybe heavier? Some Hoyts tend to run heavier than marked (I had a GM2 that did, with 2 sets of limbs I had for it).
    I was worried about this, especially since it's running closer to 8" BH with the number of twists in the string, as I have a bad shoulder. All I can say, is it is easier to draw than my 50# Black Widow, and I can hold it at full draw longer. I generally hold at full draw for a split second, but I intentionally held at full draw for an extended period to see how it felt. And I was surprised how easy it was. I shoot my compound bows at only 60#, generally, I would advise someone to go no higher than 45# on a recurve, but 50# is comfortable for me. I draw the bow to about 28.5" so I am about 52# by my estimate.
    Present to Past: 14' BowTech RPM 360, 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350, 10' BT D350, 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

Quote Originally Posted by MAC 11700 View Post
    If you're getting a lot of noise and vibration on your BW, something is definitely not right..

I've owned both, and while I did enjoy the Buffalo, I enjoyed the Widow a lot more.

Mac
    I am a HUGE Black Widow fan, have been for 30 years. I am born and raised in Missouri, and the fact that they are made in Nixa, MO makes me even more partial to them. I am NOT getting a "lot of noise and vibration on my BW" and if you re-read my original post, you'll see I never said I was getting a lot from the BW, only that I am getting "less" noise and vibe from the Buffalo.

Rest assured, I have adjusted the BH on my BW from the min to max and everywhere in between till I got to the sweet spot. My BW shoots great, but, like I said before, the Buffalo feels better in my hand (grip, weight) but the balance nod went to my BW.

I will never part with my BW and will probably even add another to my stable down the road. But I wanted a "working man's" bow that I could transport on the airlines easily, lug through the woods banging along through the brush without worrying about scratching/marring or damaging it like I worry about the Widow. I am just happy to report that I believe the Buffalo will fill this need wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post
    I am a HUGE Black Widow fan, have been for 30 years. I am born and raised in Missouri, and the fact that they are made in Nixa, MO makes me even more partial to them. I am NOT getting a "lot of noise and vibration on my BW" and if you re-read my original post, you'll see I never said I was getting a lot from the BW, only that I am getting "less" noise and vibe from the Buffalo.

Rest assured, I have adjusted the BH on my BW from the min to max and everywhere in between till I got to the sweet spot. My BW shoots great, but, like I said before, the Buffalo feels better in my hand (grip, weight) but the balance nod went to my BW.

I will never part with my BW and will probably even add another to my stable down the road. But I wanted a "working man's" bow that I could transport on the airlines easily, lug through the woods banging along through the brush without worrying about scratching/marring or damaging it like I worry about the Widow. I am just happy to report that I believe the Buffalo will fill this need wonderfully.
    No problem.

As a working man's bow, ,I agree. It is a good bow, , and should serve you well.

I too know how to tune bows, ,and I am just saying that if your widow has more vibration than the buffalo something is very wrong. The Buffs aren't known to be dead in the hands, and many tend to stack ealy and mine was no exception to this, even with a custom grip for it.

The trick I have found is to have a grip that actually fits your hands as nearly perfect as can be made. I have been lucky in this with all my bows save for 1 long bow I have owned.

Not saying yours doesn't, or are not tuned properly. ...but things can and do go wrong on our equipment from time to time.

Mac
    Earl Hoyt Hunter Supreme 64" recurve. . 66lbs. Soon to have Centaur Hunter Supreme long bow...

I have kicked around the possible purchase of a Buffalo as well. I have found it pulls heavier then I read the limbs to be listed. My PCHX still is the winner for now
    NATIVE FLAKES FLINTKNAPPING