Thread: DIY 3-d foam archery targets

DIY 3-d foam archery targets

Has anyone ever used a spray foam or anything and a mold to make ur own 3d targets I'm just wondering if its possible to make ur own foam targets if so please let me know

spray foam would be destroyed by an arrow the first few shot an will make a huge mess that'll go every where
    you'd be better off using foam floor mats or foam camping mats or if you can get them (sorry i'm not from the usa so no idea how close to the surf you are)
    body/boogie boards used in surfing (the style where they lay on there gut) they can be picked up very cheap or free
    from rubbish dumps, 2nd hand stores, surf shops etc

hope this helps if not sorry

Tried it for my daughter did stop her arrows but she was only shooting 20# it did not last long at all maybe 3 days

You have to get a different type of expandable foam...polyurathane- 6#, maybe 8 or 10#.
    something like this
    http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

Much easier to make a block target but if you want a 3D type- there is the cost of making the mold, this and the cost of the materials for the foam would make it not worth it...less you're making several of them.
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#, 30",ACC- 390's Davis sight, FITA ring,
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259
    and a few Viking Archery bows that need assembly

Every time I've looked this up I've found that the cost to buy the foam materials in quantities small enough for the DIY'er was more than buying the 3D target. I spoke to one of the manufacturers and they actually told me it was 12 pound foam but all sources I looked at where just too expensive. However uif you think you can do a better job or have a unique animal you want to mold then we would love to see a DIY post on it but it is a really expensive project.
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

I have a glendell 3d deer target and shot threw that four sided target with in 6 months .I did use the expandable spray foam from home depot and you have spray it in layers.I think I used 3 cans and it took about a day to completejust do the fact that when you spray one layer on you have to let that layer take affect and dry before applying another layer.I also let the the foam sit for a week before shooting an arrow at it..I also put Reynolds wrap around the deer just in case it didn't work so I could just take it out.I have a doped bow and don't have any issues as of yet as for as the foam breaking down. But I also don't have many arrows threw it.just give it ample time to dry..

you'll have to ignore the link I posted...that's for some rigid stuff (different project).

something from this site was what I wanted to post...still not cheap.
    http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-F...c10/index.html
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps

Is that a 2 part foam if so I think that would work great and for the molds I haven't decided what to make I thought the foam was more important than the mold right now lol

There are several foams on that site. From what I recall, all are a 2 part polyurethane expanding foam...some are rigid, some are flexible...you'll have to look at the specs, calling them wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yes, the foam is the most important part...the mold can be anything from a box to a 3D deer...and if it's bad, many of the foams can be shaped by hand.

I think it's great for a project but by the time I'd get all the materials and make a mold, I'd have spent more money and time than it's worth. For me, I judge any project like I'm getting paid my normal rate...when I do that, many projects are cheaper to just buy off the shelf.

image.jpg
    Here is a shot of what I did. Like I said in earlier post,I only have about 100 arrows but no signs of wear? I also miss typed a world in earlier post.instead of doped it should be speed bow.lol.

All I can say is wow and I bet if u put some red paint or something than it would look like the guts of the deer lol

You can make your own targets. It just takes a little imagination.

Tell us spurhunter

Sent from Big Buck Country
    Shooting for Christ
    Mark 10:28-30
    http://www.ontargetministries.net
    Mathews Z7 * Tru-Ball Short & Sweet * Easton Flatline DOA 340 * Spot Hogg Whammy * Trophy Ridge Alpha V5

Quote Originally Posted by Spurhunter View Post
    Nice...you should do a little step by step write up on here on your build process.

Was that expansion foam or did you use sheeting...one looks like sheeting, can't tell on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurhunter View Post
    The body looks like wire wrapped around some kind of stuffing?

I did a thread here a while back on both targets showing most of the build. Yanked the pictures a while back.
    Here's the skinny on it:
    Old blob target pieces for core.
    PVC pipe for stand.
    Used shrink wrap from pallets to form and give shape.
    Burlap skin sewn on with heavy thread.
    Layer of plastic bird wire sewn on/tie wrapped for last layer.
    Paint to suit.
    Wings, fans cut from corrugated plastic board, old shipping material/boxes, painted and tie wrapped on.
    Beards from strands of burlap and painted.
    Heads from turkey decoy that came with multiple gobbler heads that I never use.

Takes 60lb. shots from all angles and distances. I store them in the shed, not sure how weather would treat them.

Them are some nice looking targets u should make some deer ones and do a show how thread of that lol

Planning on it but am covered up with work at the moment. That shrink wrap is easy to come by and you'd be surprised at what you can do with it.