July 8th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Scoring Thread for 2013-14 Deer Contest (Tenth Annual) – AND RULES
DO NOT USE THIS THREAD FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SCORING YOUR DEER...PLEASE post other business, congrats, etc. on another thread so we won't have to sift through other posts to get scores. (thanks)
Here are the rules for the 2013-14 contest. There are a few differences from previous years, so please read them thoroughly!
All deer will be measured using the gross score as measured by Pope and Young or Boone & Crockett measuring instructions. If your deer is in velvet just measure it as is – no need to strip the velvet for this contest. Use the sum of all normal point measurements AND abnormal point measurements (add row E column 4 to the subtotals of columns 1, 2, and 3). See the link below for an online calculation. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...Whitetail+Deer
Each hunter on a team can score up to 2 animals for points that contribute to a team point total. The winning team will be the one with the most points at the end of the contest.
>>> NOTE: We will edit or delete any posts we see questioning the score posted for someone's buck. To challenge a buck score (this is strongly discouraged) send a PM to Midlife Crisis. If your buck is scored and is challenged by someone in a PM sent to Midlife Crisis you may be asked to provide all the individual measurements in a PM to Midlife Crisis. Midlife Crisis reserves the right to not accept any or all score challenges or follow up on any challenges - he's got stuff to do outside of this contest. In the past obviously wrong scores have been a matter of people not knowing how to score their buck rather than an intentional attempt to overstate the score. Some scores were even understated.
1. First entry date is August 10, 2013. An earlier 2013 harvest date is permissible (largely in the case of the July season for California Zone A).
2. Final harvest entry date will be March 1, 2014 - 7:00 AM EST. All deer must be entered by then or they will not count.
3. It doesn't matter how many states you hunt...one buck and one doe or one doe and a second doe (for people who enter a second doe instead of a buck) will count for your score, no matter where taken. You cannot score two antlered bucks for points. A button buck of any deer species can be scored as a doe for 50 points. An antlered deer may be scored only as a buck (for the measurement score or 50 points, whichever is larger).
You can replace a buck or second doe score with a buck that scores more points. You can wait to enter a buck if you want to, but there is no reason to wait to post an animal.
4. NO PICTURE OR VIDEO, NO SCORE. Do not take your deer to the processor before you take a picture of it with your bow in the picture. All pictures should be tasteful (don't worry too much about tongues hanging out, but try to limit the blood). You must post a picture or post a video link of your harvest to count as scored!
If you have already posted a picture of your deer and need to use that same photo in the scoring thread, the AT servers will not allow you to upload that exact image a second time. In order for you to use that same photo you need to follow the instructions from Sticky in this post (scroll to top of post):
5. Your deer (not just horns and cape) and the bow must be in the picture. You do not have to be in the picture, but it is encouraged. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES ACCEPTED HERE! THE BOW MUST BE THERE IN THE PICTURE! If your bow is not in the picture then that picture will not count toward scoring any points for your team. Memorize this rule and don’t forget it when you hunt! Even if we can see a broadhead wound in the deer, it will not be scored unless there is a bow in the picture.
5A. Acceptable photos (these types of photos will score points):
a) photo of bow, deer, and hunter in the field
b) photo of bow and deer in the field
c) photo of bow, deer, and hunter in the back of a truck at home
d) photo of bow and deer in the back of a truck
e) photo of bow and deer with skin still on and hanging in a garage
5B. Unacceptable photos (NO POINTS AWARDED for these types of photos):
a) photo of deer without your bow in the same photo
b) photo of just a set of horns or a European mount and your bow
c) photo of your mount from the taxidermist and your bow
d) photo of skinned carcass with bow in your garage
So, if you have a deer that you left overnight before tracking (or took a week to find) and when you recovered it you found it had been picked over by coyotes: take as tasteful a picture as possible in the field WITH YOUR BOW in order to score points. No bow in picture means no points will be awarded. That means you will have to take your bow along for the recovery if there is even just a possibility that your animal has ruined by coyotes. If you cannot take your bow onto the land where the deer expired (no permission to hunt there) then you must drag what you can of the stinky remains of the carcass to where you can have your bow in the picture. No hard luck stories accepted here: you will have our sympathy, but no points.
Realizing that the photo rules cannot cover every specific situation exactly, the contest moderators will use their discretion in scoring photos that do not conform exactly to the rules. That said, no score will ever be accepted if a bow is not in the picture with the animal.
6. Please do not post a buck until you have measured him for an accurate score.
7. Please post your score (with picture) like one of the following examples – give us the measurements for the species you want scored (we’ll factor in any deductions or additions per rules 9-14):
Team 1 – Rut Dudes – whitetail buck 185 3/8”
Team 2 – Fast Feathers – whitetail doe
Team 3 – Straight Shooters – mule deer buck 154 0/8” (we will net this to 134”)
Team 4 – Shafted – Columbian Blacktail buck 65 3/8” (we will gross this up to 100 3/8”)
Team 5 – Team Colorado – elk 307” (see rule 14 for how this will score)
Team 6 – Bloody Arrows – second doe scored as a buck
(by posting the team number and name it will help us navigate the scoring spreadsheet much faster to enter your scores)
8. If you measure your deer incorrectly and catch the error before the 7:00 AM deadline on March 1, 2014, you may enter a corrected score (please indicate it is a correction on your posting). Errors uncovered after March 1 will not be corrected. If you have not scored a deer before, you should carefully read the Pope & Young or Boone & Crockett scoring rules several times and if need be, discuss them with teammates or official scorers in your area.
9. All does and button bucks (regardless of deer species – whitetail, blacktail, mule, Sitka, Coues’), and whitetail bucks scoring under 50” count as 50 points. Whitetail does and whitetail button bucks are scored as does for points. An antlered buck of any deer species may only be scored as a buck for points (50 points will be the minimum score awarded regardless of bone measurements).
10. Mule Deer bucks will have a 20 point deduction in score (post the actual measurement – we will deduct the 20 points subject to the 50 point minimum).
11. Columbian Blacktail Deer bucks will receive an additional 35 points in score (post the actual measurement – we will add the 35 points, subject to the 50 point minimum).
12. Sitka Blacktail Deer bucks will receive an additional 60 points in score (post the actual measurement – we will add the 60 points).
13. Coues’ deer bucks will receive an additional 65 points in score (post the actual measurement – we will add the 65 points).
14. Elk, moose, and bear (either sex) can be counted as a first or second doe score (BUT ONLY 20 points will be awarded, instead of 50 for a whitetail doe). This is a deer contest, but we’ll give a few points for these other limited species.
15. Crossbows are allowed in states where legal.
16. Bow kills only...no gun, as this is an Archery contest...see crossbow rule above.
17. You MUST have fun! This is for bragging rights and camaraderie only – there won’t be any prizes for the winning team.
Team Score Updates: Midlife Crisis will try to update the team scores every Sunday morning (as early as 4 am, but probably no later than noon Eastern time), but this may not always be the case due to travel, church, or failure to remember to post an update. The pdf score file and team scores thread will begin sometime around the third Sunday in September and will not be updated more than once each week.
Check your score once it appears on the pdf file (scored through your post number) to make sure Midlife got it right (correct hunter awarded points and right number of points - he's been known to make a mistake or two .... - if you notice something, send Midlife Crisis a PM telling him how he messed up - again).
Beamen123 & Midlife Crisis
2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, & Spitfire Gobbler Getter broadheads; Scott Wolf release.
Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!