Thread: How Far Will an Arrow Go?

How Far Will an Arrow Go?

One thing I have never done is go to a pasture, draw back, and shoot an arrow into the wide open yonder.

Has anyone else done this? How far did it go? I know there are a lot of variables and am looking for a general answer.

That is - when I shoot in a mid-sized lot I would like to have an idea of "worst case scenario" with an errant arrow.
    Intermediate archer shooting an Elite Pure; Parker Buck Hunter (non-XP) for backup.

I have about 240 yards of shooting room in my back yard. (Empty lot behind the old school gym. They built a new school about 700 yards up the road!) I have had a couple of misfires, once my release broke and once my BT was set wayyyyyyy too hot. The arrows went a lot farther than I expected. I try to draw every arrow aimed at the target. I guess on these occasions my mind was not focused exactly on this and I was skying the bow a bit. I found one arrow about 110 yards from my shooting spot and the other was almost 160!!! So, worst case scenario in a neighborhood would be very bad. I have nothing but a country road and a pasture/soybean field out past my shooting lane so the stars would have to align to have something worse than a lost arrow occur. However, in a populated area, things could get bad in a hurry. I could see where a large solid back stop would be in order in a residential area.

When I was much younger I used to like to shoot my 50lb recurve with wooden arrows to see how far they would go. It was about 300 yards. It was out in the desert and I could see that there was no one in the area. That bow shot less than 150fps. My 70 lb Bowtech firing a 420 gr arrow at 313fps will go a whole lot further. While I have never tried, I am sure that it would go at least 1/2 mile.

In 1989 Randy Walk,Hoyt President, shot the world record at 591 yards.
    http://rcrchery.wordpress.com/
    A one stop area for common topics about form, shot execution, practice, bow set up, and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by RCR_III View Post
    Was it really that long ago????? Dang. It may be time to try to beat that record.....
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

The world record for unlimited flight bows is over 1,300 yards.

The flight crossbow record is over 2,000 yards.

The 45 lb target compound flight record was 750 yards.

The record list for 2009 is the most recent I could find. The unlimited compound flight world record was held by Kevin Strother. The distance was 1,320 yards. He set the record on July 31, 1992.

These are highly specialized bows that sometimes only last a few shots. More normal hunting compound bows can reach out well over 300 yards with very little tweeking.

Allen

Back in my youth (80's-90's) we used to play "long range lawn darts". I don't remember the exact distances but it was around the 200-250 yards....we got some hula hoops to shoot into. Distance wasn't an issue but wind was. One thing that it did was help us tune the bows/arrows.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

I shoot an aluminium arrow >200m with a 45# recurve once. I'd imagine you could get a reasonably light arrow at least 400m with a modern compound without even trying really hard to find the sweet spot. Let's say 6gpi with a 70# bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Jesus never killed anyone. In fact no one died in Christs presence. Muhammad was a killing machine.

the river was 400 yards away. Shot my hunting arrows (411 grains) toward the river with my 60 pound hunting bow (29 inch draw length.)
    found the arrows between 50 and 25 yards from the river. None made it too the river. So mine went 350-375 yards max.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees View Post
    the river was 400 yards away. Shot my hunting arrows (411 grains) toward the river with my 60 pound hunting bow (29 inch draw length.)
    found the arrows between 50 and 25 yards from the river. None made it too the river. So mine went 350-375 yards max.
    At a 45° angle?
    Now that I think about it, 400m is probably a bit far fetched with the average bow & arrow set up. I shoot a bit heavier arrow, but mine start dropping like stones past 50yd. Even with 5gpp they'd probably start losing height fast past 80 or 90yd.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Jesus never killed anyone. In fact no one died in Christs presence. Muhammad was a killing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Finq View Post
    At a 45° angle?
    Now that I think about it, 400m is probably a bit far fetched with the average bow & arrow set up. I shoot a bit heavier arrow, but mine start dropping like stones past 50yd. Even with 5gpp they'd probably start losing height fast past 80 or 90yd.
    yea I was angled up a good bit, somewhere around 45- 50 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by RCR_III View Post
    Maybe for a limited weight category, but for unlimited Compound, Kevin Strother (I know) has the record, at something like 1.2 kilometres. I think that bow was at 195lbs (a dedicated flight bow). That was back in 1992, so modern cams should be able to send the same arrow a lot further.

Oddly the record for unlimited recurve was pretty similar, can't remember exactly what.

Edit: here's a list that was accurate as of 2009, I doubt the unlimited records have been broken since then: http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Eng...ds_Archery.pdf

Unlimited recurve beat Strothers by 16yds

We tried this once at my dads house, in the country, 50 acres, all his, flat, and no one around either direction for at least a mile. We took 3 bows, two at 70 lbs, one at 65 lbs, aimed bows at 45 deg angle and let them fly! We paced them off and roughly guessed them at around 300 to 350 yards, keep in mind NO ONE was anywhere near this area- in the middle of the country, with cornfields on three sides, and no farmers around, this isn't a safe thing to do, but with a few steps it can be done without any danger to anyone. Cheers--BB

When I ran the Pro Shop at Meadowbrook country Club in Palestine, Tex I always wanted to try that very thing out on a Monday cause the course was closed then but never got around to it.....I did shoot a couple carp there however out of one of the creeks. I wanted to go to one of the par 5 holes, stand on the tee box and let one rip down the fairway......I worked there 4 or 5 yrs and never got around to it.........
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Their used to be a archery range in Alexandria Oh, that had archery golf! Most of the guys that did this had masking tape on the bottom limb to use as a reference to "tee off", and most shots were 500 yards. the hard part was putting, you had to shoot a 6" dia. foam ball off a stick, and hope you didn't miss! Cheers--BB

I did that years ago in a Prarie where I hunt, took out an Easton game getter with a 145 grain tip on it and angled it up out of my 1987 Martin cougar speed flight set at 97# and 29". When I finally found the arrow it was 437 paces back to the spot where I shot it from (I was stretching them out trying to make them 1 yard paces) I have thought about doing it again with my Allegiance, I am sure it would be much farther and I have a rangefinder to give exact yardage. I also shot a deer with that Martin at 13 yards, the deer went 33 yards from the point of impact, the arrow went 47 yards uphill from exit. I also had a miss on a deer (It was not as close to a tree I had ranged earlier that I thought) the arrow just missed the deer high and I had my wife stand in the deer's track. When I found the arrow I ranged my wife at 224 yards. That shot was with the Allegiance. As always when shooting, know your target and what is beyond!

We have archery golf in the late fall here and play like real golf, 350+ yards is very possible.

i have done this a few times at the farm and most 70 lbs bows and i had several at the time went between 400 and 450 yards. arrows weighted between 350-450 grains.