Thread: Ohio Bowfishing

Ohio Bowfishing

It looks like I am going to have to give bowfishing a try. I am up in Cleveland, OH, so does anybody know if it's worthwhile to bowfish around Cleveland? I have been looking at things to purchase, but would like to know if there are relatively close places to try this before going in head first. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bowfishing ohio

My buddy was up around your area about a month ago and said he saw a ton of carp somewhere. I bowfish in southern ohio and it is a blast. If i can find out where he was ill let you know. best of luck to you

Cleveland offers some great bowfishing. I have friends who walk the breakwalls in the downtown area...near Gordon park. I've shot that area out of my boat and seen large carp, some drum, and goldfish. There is a warm water discharge that is really good in the winter there. Send me you e-mail address and I'll try and get ahold of one of my buddys and see if they are going out at night anytime soon. If there is room in the boat I'm sure they'd love to show someone new the ropes.

Thanks, I'll PM you with my email address. I was also thinking of a couple of trips to Pymatuming which is about 1.5 hrs away. It is right on the Ohio and PA borders and is supposed to have a lot of carp. I still need to find out if you can bowfish there.

Thumbs up Bowfish OH

Hey Doc,

Re: Carp'n in Cleveland

Check out the some of the typical Steelhead rivers for Carp.
    i.e. Rocky River, Vermilion River, Cuyahoga River, Chagrin River, Grand River, etc.

While steelheading in the Spring and Fall I always see carp.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Wild Antlers

There is apparently some places to do this, so I got a bow and today I ordered and AMS retriever, a roller rest, 2 sting-a-ree arrows with the safety slides. Is there anything else I would need or should get? Also, does anybody know about the license needed. I am assuming I would just need a fishing license.

they dont want you around the warm water discharge.a couple of drunks fell in and drownd some years ago.but thats the dishcarge i know of.and it was good fishin' to.

Cincy Carp?

Anyone know any good places to wade near cincy?
    Dave

I'm not sure of any specific places to wade fish down that way. When the river flodds you could probably find carp and buffs in some flooded fields and I've seen alot of gar in the Little Miami near Loveland.

bowfishing in ohio

you can also bowfish in mentor at the marsh and lagoon areas, you'll probably catch some flack from the early morning bird watchers but they tend to just make comments and move on! hope to see ya out there...dan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    There is apparently some places to do this, so I got a bow and today I ordered and AMS retriever, a roller rest, 2 sting-a-ree arrows with the safety slides. Is there anything else I would need or should get? Also, does anybody know about the license needed. I am assuming I would just need a fishing license.
    Yep, just a fishing license.
    Buckeye Bowhunter N.E Ohio bowhunting, check us out!!!

Baldy's Archery and specialty Bowstrings in Youngstown Ohio
    (330) 547-2138

In Indiana you have to have a Hunting Lic... found that out a month ago... without getting fined though i always have both. and a Lifetime hunting so i was good.
    My Gear is Older than Yours....
    Got some BuckNasty on it though
    Shooting Knat Nards at 70 + Baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 18javelin View Post
    In Indiana you have to have a Hunting Lic... found that out a month ago... without getting fined though i always have both. and a Lifetime hunting so i was good.
    Seriously? Sounds like it could get expensive...non-res hunting AND fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by 18javelin View Post
    Thats news to me! I would bet just A fishing lic... is all you need in Indiana.

I am totally new to bowfishing and relatively new to archery (a little less than a year). I am in the Columbus area and looking for places to shoot carp to fertilize my garden. Anyone get suggestions of places to go shoot carp near Columbus? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorsejake View Post
    I am totally new to bowfishing and relatively new to archery (a little less than a year). I am in the Columbus area and looking for places to shoot carp to fertilize my garden. Anyone get suggestions of places to go shoot carp near Columbus? Thanks.
    Not sure about Columbus area, but a short drive to Buckeye Lake will put you on a lot of carp.
    Athens Afflixtion
    Mathews Q2XL
    I don't play favorites, I like 'em all.

Thanks. I am going to check out Alum Creek too.