Thread: Fence rows and treelines for hunting? Worth it or not?

Fence rows and treelines for hunting? Worth it or not?

Do any of you ever hunt random fence rows or tree lines in the middle of fields or find deer hiding in them during the season? Gonna try something new this year and attempt to get permission to some areas that are between bigger properties but just a small strip of cover in a field or whatnot.. Have had terrible luck getting permission to any woods of any decent size or quality. Figure maybe they will say YES to someone asking to hunt places most guys would never attempt to hunt or waste their time on. I'm not sure if deer use them outside of being blasted at during gun season when they run anywhere they can to get away from the orange invaders.

Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-site twilight hunter
    Sims modular stabilizer
    Ripcord arrowrest
    Rage and Grim Reapers

Deer will follow a fence until they find the best place to cross. If no cattle are involved pre aproved by the landowner take the staples out and lower a few strands. They will cross it there almost every time.
    TEAM #17 Death From Above
    Walk softly, carry pointy sticks.

Fence rows and treelines have helped me kill several good bucks. Treelines between two large wooded areas or across an ag. field are great travel routes for deer.
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

You have stumbled on one of the great secrets of deer hunting. That is: "hunt where there are no deer."

I cannot remember the number of deer I have taken from a miniature pit blind that I dig annually along a half-mile-long brushy fencerow that connects feeding areas with bedding areas. No one would ever dream of hunting that spot when there are MILES of classic woody river breaks beyond it. Everyone wants to hunt the river breaks because that's the "deer" country.

I lost that spot though. An outfitter bought the land. He pretty much had to buy it because the guys who were paying to hunt on his land could only sit there while we blasted the deer trying to get back to the bedding area from the feeding grounds. No doubt, they were complaining!

It was fun while it lasted though, and more importantly, I learned the lesson you're learning right now.

Shadow Man
    Taking Game from Here to the Hereafter.

fence lines/ tree lines act as natural funnels and are always a good spot. If you find a tree line between two fields or block of woods, 90 percent of the time deer will be using it.. Have shot and seen plenty of deer of deer using tree lines.. Depending on the size of the tree line,,, In my opinion a morning hunt would be better. The deer might use it to bed so they would see or hear you on an evening hunt.. scout the area to see if its used as a bedding area
    MATHEWS CATCH US IF YOU CAN/ Bow hunting its not what i do,its who i am
    SWITCHBACK XT 70LBS/ Z7 Extreme 70 pounds
    BEMAN ICS 400S
    SLICK TRICKS
    BLAZER VEINS

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy90 View Post
    fence lines/ tree lines act as natural funnels and are always a good spot.

yep
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2013 BOWTECH EXPERIENCE

Great example here. Deer are bedding on the right side down in the woods and that smaller field on the right side is a Frigid forage big n beasty food plot. They will come and feed in the frigid forage plot then where that line is, is an opening in the fence and s break in the trees. They cross there 95% of the time to get into the larger field. Then where the orange dot is, is a stand. GREAT SPOT!tree line.jpg