Archery Talk Forum banner

Walmart vortex Hunter bow package by Barnett

31K views 34 replies 33 participants last post by  kerrye 
#1 ·
Any see one of these seems like a bunch of knock off accessories but its less than $200. Any thoughts. Technology Fictional character

See less See more
#4 ·
Not just a wal mart bow we sold them at the shop I worked at. The bow is a PITA to work on but it's a great alternative when parents come in and want a bow for there 8 year old son to see if he likes archery but don't want to drop 300-450 dollars on a craze or ruckus and find out the kid wants nothing to do with the thing in six months. The accesories are junk but I have had people come back in and set the bow up with a whisker biscuit and a three pin tru glo sight with a tube peep. It's really all in what you make of it... I mean some people still shoot just a stick and string lol

#9 ·
Its a 2nd rate bow. About half way from a Bear Brave and a real bow. The cams use mods made out of plastic and the screws strip easy if you are not carefull. The rest is a total piece of garbage and needs to be replaced. The sight is usable but not the greatest. Overall its a Barnett built in China that should tell you all you need to know. JMO

#10 ·
Accessories stink, modules are plastic, screws are cheap and strip easily (star bit works better than allen), strings aren't good at all, but for $170 you can't expect that much from them. I set them up for kids a lot where I work if the parents don't want to spring for the Apprentice or Infinite Edge. One of the kids last year brought me a picture of them and the deer they killed with it from this last season. He was super pumped about it so if that's what they can get, let them have their fun. I wouldn't get one for my kid but if that's the range you need to be in, they will do the job and the kids have fun.

#22 ·
this bow can be bought in cabelas as well

the shop i help out at have sold a 15 of these, as said above, parts are cheap, and for $100 more they could go to a bear apprentice 2 but some people dont want to spend that on something that the kid may only have a passing intrest in.

they accually shoot not that bad at the higher weights

#23 ·
I sell the vortex jr in my shop they are great bows for kids who's parents don't want to spend a lot of money at first the rest and arrows are junk but the bow is not bad at all for what you pay for it I have never tried one of the regular vortex bows in he 45 to 60 lbs they might not hold up as good at higher poundage and longer draw length but the jr does real well IMO they are better than the infinite edge for a child

#24 ·
My grandson has a Vortex and loves it. He shoots 3" groups at 20 yards and is becoming a great little archer. But this sport requires practice, practice and more practice to become consistant enough to hunt responsibly. These days with Ipads, PS4s, etc., it pays to test the waters with kids to see if they'll stick with something that requires this level of discipline before going all out. Especially with something like archery that can get really expensive in a hurry! Once he is up to 40+lbs of draw weight (and after one of his excellent report cards), he may find an Ignite or Infinite Edge has mysteriously appeared in his closet during one of Papa's visits.

#25 ·
I got one a few years back basically as a starter bow to see if I liked it. Immediately replaced sight, rest, string, and everything. Put on a truglo sight and wb rest, and new custom string. Added Limbsaver stabilizer and limb silencers as well as string leeches. All together about 250$. I didn't really think I would ever hunt with it but this past year I realized how accurate I was when I outshot everyone in the local archery shop! That gave me the confidence in my cheap rig and the guys in the shop said go for it. Haven't killed a deer yet, shot at one and it ducked the string but killed a few groundhogs with it. Straight through and dropped them. Same with some squirrels and rabbits.

#26 ·
The vortex hunter is sold at Walmart, putting your hatered for walmart aside, it is also sold at bass pro shop, cabelas and many other places. The vortex hunter can be adjusted from 45# draw weight to 62# draw weight. Draw lenths from 26" to 30". It comes with a cheap sight, cheap arrow rest and no peep. The quiver is usable but also cheap. With a good sight, arrow rest and peep sight it is a very compact and accurate hunting bow. At 29 1/4 draw lenth and 62# draw weight It will shoot a 425 grain arrow @ a chronograph speed of 272 fps. In my book that ain't no toy. The cams are aluminum and the module screws do not strip out as stated. IMO for less than $250 you can have a very capable hunting bow.

#28 ·
Who is this guy? A Vortex rep? Lol, For $250 I picked up a set up and rarely used Mathews Switchback on the classifieds here. Not even any wear on the finish near the grip. Got it for my buddy and he couldn't be happier. I'll pass on the Vortex bubble pack bow. If it gets someone in to archery, awesome. I can appreciate that.

#30 ·
Got one of these for the wife 50 bucks off eBay she shoots any 3 times a year

I would never buy one new tho not worth it but ebay u can get one for cheap

It's not a bad bow for 50 the stuff that comes with it is just junk but 100 put in and I got a bow she can shoot

I play with it quit a bit actual for fun

#33 ·
I bought one for my 12 year old daughter from Amazon new for $86, 10 months ago. The rest was replaced before the first shot. The arrows that come with it are dangerously weak, buy some lite carbon arrows. The sight is useable, but quickly got replaced with a tooless one. I also added an Apache stabilizer and some limb savers. The riser is the best part on the bow. The Vortex hunter use the same riser. At full power, 40 pounds, because of her short 17" draw length, it isn't very powerful. My one complaint about the bow is, the cable pulleys all make popping noises when the bow is drawn. Better quality pulleys are needed. It is a very attractive bow, has a smooth comfortable draw, and it shoots accurately. I highly recommend this bow as an entry level child/young adult/woman's bow. BUT; Most men will find its max 27" draw length uncomfortably short. For this reason mixed with the low power and draw noise, makes this a poor back up bow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.