a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Will a lighted nock change arrow flight/POI/Tune??

  1. #1

    Will a lighted nock change arrow flight/POI/Tune??

    I'm curious how much weight will start affecting the flight of an arrow? For example, I've always changed the size of my fletchings that ended up resulting int 10-15 grains here or there - but I'm curious, if you shoot one arrow stock from the factory, and one arrow with a lighted nock in the back (20 grains) as well as a wrap (maybe 6-7 grains) so basically a 30 grain difference - will it affect arrow flight/tune or poi?



    Thanks!


  2. #2
    I use the nockturnals and see no change at all with them
    Natures Essence

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ephrata, PA
    Posts
    4,749
    I see no change even at 50 & 60 yards with fixed broadheads on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, VA
    Posts
    701
    I doubt you will notice much change, unless you are shooting X's right now consistently out to long range. I use Gold Tip Pro Hunters, some with Firenocks, some with practice nocks, some with standard nocks, some with wraps. I honestly can't tell a difference.
    '14 PSE DNA SP
    GoldTip Pro Hunter Arrows
    Carter Chocolate Addiction Lite

    It's almost always the indian, not the bow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    28,038
    I played with Nocturnals on a couple different setups and for me they always impacted about 6" to 8" low and that was with field tips...I think it had more to do with how the nock fit on the center serving than the added weight. If I would have just sighted in with Nocturnals I'm sure I would have been fine, but I knew I wasn't gonna shoot them all the time so I just ditched them and stuck with regular nocks.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vermont and NC
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post
    I played with Nocturnals on a couple different setups and for me they always impacted about 6" to 8" low and that was with field tips...I think it had more to do with how the nock fit on the center serving than the added weight. If I would have just sighted in with Nocturnals I'm sure I would have been fine, but I knew I wasn't gonna shoot them all the time so I just ditched them and stuck with regular nocks.
    This is the same thing that happened to me, with the same brand, and I did the same thing.I want to give another brand a try.

  7. #7
    Here is a hint if you have to force the nock on the string it will not hit were you want. If there is an obvious problem and you ignore it the result is not the products fault.

  8. #8
    I shoot the nockturnals and have noticed no difference.. practice out to 60

  9. #9
    Firenocks for me impacted 5" low at 40 yds. Maybe 2 inches low at 20. Not sure it it was the extra weight or the way it came of the string.

  10. #10
    Absolutely! If your question will a lighted nock change if you just put a lighted nock in one of your arrows. You would not just change one tires if you decide to get A better tire for your car! So when one change a nock, our recommendation is to change ALL the nocks and have a few of them lighted. Another issue is when one even use all identical nock and a few of them lighted, it is still not good enough as the weight distribution issue. that is why we make match weight system that not only match the weight alone but the FOC weight too. Do some measure on your arrows and found out how much change it actually does to your arrow base on different lighted nock design. Even on identical match weight nock, the location of weight and distribution of weight will also cause difference in arrow flight.

    Nock design various from manufacturer to manufacturer, just like tires. there are quite a few nock throat design, nock prong design, and nock material usage which all impact how a nock leaves the string. Add weight, distribution of weight, and FOC change, you can imagine how many things can do a number to your arrows. if your bow tuning skill is marginal, the difference mention above can be significant. last not all nock allows large variance of string serving to be perfectly accurate. Case in point, Firenock will only tolerate 0.115" to 0.125" serving and if anything bigger, it will be to tight and your arrow will drop fast as it cannot leave the string clean and can significant slow down the arrow.

    If you idea of a kill shot is only 20+ yards, then I would not worry about any as even a bare shaft will shot a heart size target at that distance. Then again if you are planning doing some serious long distance shooting in 20 mph wind at far as 100 + yards at a life animal, then everything little things counts as your nerve and your skill will be pushing to the max.
    Last edited by Firenock; July 23rd, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In a tree!
    Posts
    4,480
    I was just shooting last weekend...I see zero difference between my GoldTip nocks and TGB or Nockturnals all the way out to 60 yards with field tips and broadheads.
    I tried to add a signature but my pen ruined the screen

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Carroll Iowa
    Posts
    135
    have been use acculite nocks on gt velocity and switch all to nocturnal light nock and havent change and still shoot without adjust sights at all...
    proud to be a DEAF bowhunter

    PSE bowmadness blackout 30" DL, 70# DW
    QAD hdx, TR pursuit sight, G5 head loc quiver, TR stabilizer
    Gold TIp velocity xt 300, exodus full blade 100

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SW IA...Game Destroyer
    Posts
    2,251
    I haven't had any change with Nockturnals or Firenocks

    Sent via my mobile distraction device (hacked Nexus anyone?)
    "Game Destroyer" 09 PSE Omen 29/76 | QAD HDX | Trophy Ridge React | 12" Doinker D.I.S.H | Muddy HT-1 .300 .001 495gr w/ Helios Vanes | Rage KORE | 311fps 106.4KE
    MY BROTHER IS FINALLY CANCER FREE!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Ga (land of the cull bucks)
    Posts
    18,753
    How many FPS will 10 extra grains cause you to lose?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    219
    my Nockturnals shot low, but I sanded them a little with some sand paper and it solved the problem.

  16. #16
    I noticed almost no difference at 40 and a wee bit at 60. However, because I'm OCD I added weight to my regular (practice) nocks so everything I shoot (during practice and while hunting) weighs 20 grains.

    I agree with other posters that nock fit is important. I also don't use wraps because of the weight they add to the wrong end of the arrow.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Emerson, New Jersey
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Big Time View Post
    Here is a hint if you have to force the nock on the string it will not hit were you want. If there is an obvious problem and you ignore it the result is not the products fault.
    I agree, that's why I always use Easton 3D Super nocks. Fit with just enough resistence on the string to be able to slide it up or down and be pushed off from behind with alittle bit of pressure. This will greatly increase accuracy. Most nocks sold on shafts fit too tight.
    United Bowhunters of New Jersey
    "If it doesn't have big antlers or gobble, I don't hunt it"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    solon ia
    Posts
    599
    I had problems with broad head flight with the lumenocks... I was at a poor foc. I think with a better foc it would of been fine...

    Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by strikerII View Post
    I agree, that's why I always use Easton 3D Super nocks. Fit with just enough resistence on the string to be able to slide it up or down and be pushed off from behind with alittle bit of pressure. This will greatly increase accuracy. Most nocks sold on shafts fit too tight.
    Or you get the right serving size to fit the tolerance for your nock choice! Not all bow manufacture use the same serving size. Case in point. Mathews can be as thick as 0.135" while other can be as thin as 0.115" which a whole 20 thousands. For nock specification, it is a ton of variance. To make things even more interesting, the new Injexion which uses G nock as it nock throat is only 0.098". If you use a Mathews bow, there is now a whole 38 thousand. It is like trying to put a 13" tire on an 18" rim!!!
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
    I noticed almost no difference at 40 and a wee bit at 60. However, because I'm OCD I added weight to my regular (practice) nocks so everything I shoot (during practice and while hunting) weighs 20 grains.

    I agree with other posters that nock fit is important. I also don't use wraps because of the weight they add to the wrong end of the arrow.
    So you don't use wraps cause of the weight they had to the rear of an arrow but you shoot lighted nocks?
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo #3 RKT 29"
    Gold Tip Velocity Pro 300
    Black Gold Ascent Single Pin
    Scott Longhorn III and Carter Like Mike releases
    Grim Reaper Broadheads

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post
    Absolutely! If your question will a lighted nock change if you just put a lighted nock in one of your arrows. You would not just change one tires if you decide to get A better tire for your car! So when one change a nock, our recommendation is to change ALL the nocks and have a few of them lighted. Another issue is when one even use all identical nock and a few of them lighted, it is still not good enough as the weight distribution issue. that is why we make match weight system that not only match the weight alone but the FOC weight too. Do some measure on your arrows and found out how much change it actually does to your arrow base on different lighted nock design. Even on identical match weight nock, the location of weight and distribution of weight will also cause difference in arrow flight.

    Nock design various from manufacturer to manufacturer, just like tires. there are quite a few nock throat design, nock prong design, and nock material usage which all impact how a nock leaves the string. Add weight, distribution of weight, and FOC change, you can imagine how many things can do a number to your arrows. if your bow tuning skill is marginal, the difference mention above can be significant. last not all nock allows large variance of string serving to be perfectly accurate. Case in point, Firenock will only tolerate 0.115" to 0.125" serving and if anything bigger, it will be to tight and your arrow will drop fast as it cannot leave the string clean and can significant slow down the arrow.

    If you idea of a kill shot is only 20+ yards, then I would not worry about any as even a bare shaft will shot a heart size target at that distance. Then again if you are planning doing some serious long distance shooting in 20 mph wind at far as 100 + yards at a life animal, then everything little things counts as your nerve and your skill will be pushing to the max.
    +1 if you "think" you can just put on a lighted nock and go hunt you are setting yourself up for failure......or at least playing Russian Roulette. I tried a set of brand X and I was hitting 6 inches low at 20 yards. Since I have been tuning my own bows for 30 years I figured out what was going on quickly but for those thinking I'll just put em' on an hit the woods.......big mistake no matter what brand you choose......too many variables to weed out for a one size fits all answer. The best part is I posted it to "help" people on AT and I got the ol' ......it was me, tuning, your full of it, target panic, etc.........you really have to be able to filter the BS here.

    IMHO be it lighted nocks, mechanical heads, switching releases, new peep size, etc anything you change should be verified before hitting the woods you owe it to yourself and the game you hunt.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

  22. #22
    As always nock string fit is very important. I have found that many factory strings come with fairly thick serving and that can cause a nock to be way to tight on the string and that will cause you headaches. If they are tight like that you either need to reserve with thinner material or sand the inside of the nock a bit to loosen the fit up a little. I opt for thinner serving
    Natures Essence

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by General RE LEE View Post
    So you don't use wraps cause of the weight they had to the rear of an arrow but you shoot lighted nocks?
    When one use warp on an arrow, it is technically guarantee to cause an arrow to be not concentric, a lighted nock at least is concentric.

    The wrap unless is perfectly design for a specific arrow, when you have ANY overlap, the over lap part is what make that section of the arrow heavy! It is not obvious, but one can use a set of ball bearings to locate it.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post
    Or you get the right serving size to fit the tolerance for your nock choice! Not all bow manufacture use the same serving size. Case in point. Mathews can be as thick as 0.135" while other can be as thin as 0.115" which a whole 20 thousands. For nock specification, it is a ton of variance. To make things even more interesting, the new Injexion which uses G nock as it nock throat is only 0.098". If you use a Mathews bow, there is now a whole 38 thousand. It is like trying to put a 13" tire on an 18" rim!!!

    Yes, but other than Mathews(Zebra), most manufacturers strings hover around .110". Would you not agree?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,285
    Zero difference with Nockturnals on my Gokd Tips out to 40 yards. 400 grain total arrow weight, 70 lbs draw at 31 inches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •