Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Maitland 2013 Shooting Staff Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    @ 80 yards id be eating me some elk lol. But hey, grouse don't taste bad either
    I know, I know, I'm still replaying the scenario in my head every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Dirty North Archery

"If you shoot at a king you must kill him."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Only one week till the Indiana opening day. Got the halo 34 ready to draw some blood. Gotta say i am very impressed with how much speed these bows retain with super heavy arrows. Nothing like pushing an arrow that weighs 520+ grains at 246fps and only 28" draw 60#!
    Dang! Didn't know Cape Buffalo or Blue Whales were in Indiana!!!!!! I'd rather be run over by an 18 wheeler than get hit by that missile. Any how, going to try & put my first one down this season tomorrow....375 grains out to cut it for our little southern deer.

Wait a minute....how long is the SC season???

I thought us Marylanders had it pretty good....

Quote Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
    Dang! Didn't know Cape Buffalo or Blue Whales were in Indiana!!!!!! I'd rather be run over by an 18 wheeler than get hit by that missile. Any how, going to try & put my first one down this season tomorrow....375 grains out to cut it for our little southern deer.
    We like to grow em big and fat here lol. Never heard a complaint about over penetration.
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

Quote Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
    Justin, thanks for telling me about these beautiful bows. I also have to say, when the owner of company calls you, you know they are actually proud of the product.....refreshing!

Now, I can't wait for the Halo Extreme to be introduced to the longest deer season in he country.

Any other SC Maitland shooters out here?
    Those of you that were able to talk to Rob these past couple of days while I was ill feel lucky... the rest of these shooters get to deal with me.... :-) Welcome aboard!!

Jenn

We like to grow em big and fat here lol. Never heard a complaint about over penetration.
    No doubt about it. Slinging that much weight nearly 250 fps will put anything & everything on the planet down for the count (our little deer included).

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Wait a minute....how long is the SC season???

I thought us Marylanders had it pretty good....
    August 15th-January 1st (in my region). We buy 4 doe tags that can be used any day of the week between September 15-January 1st (additionally, one day each week beginning in October you can shoot 2 antlerless deer - not a huge fan of this bc idiots kill button bucks regularly...in late Nov -December doe days are limited )

I don't believe another State has a region w a season this long, but things might have changed. I will say, it is down right brutal hunting here for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season...talking btw 80-100 degrees w 100% humidity until mid-late September.

Only 5 days left here in Indiana then its time to let the aluminum fly. can't wait to put some meat in the freezer.
    PETES ARCHERY
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

Hey Jen what's the word on the shooter shirts? I sent you guys an email a while back but Im not sure it actually went through
    PETES ARCHERY
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

We have sept 6 thru Jan 31....but, we can't hunt Sunday...( they give us a few Sundays)...but most are non hunting days.
    As for bag limits...in the urban zones, we have unlimited does....not tags to buy no daily limit, no nothing...just mow them down!
    Bucks we can shoot 1 per season (bow, gun, muz)...and one bonus buck you can use in any season....( but you have to shoot 2 does in the season you use the bonus tag before you take your 2nd buck)

And obviously, you can use your bow in all seasons...which is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    We have sept 6 thru Jan 31....but, we can't hunt Sunday...( they give us a few Sundays)...but most are non hunting days.
    As for bag limits...in the urban zones, we have unlimited does....not tags to buy no daily limit, no nothing...just mow them down!
    Bucks we can shoot 1 per season (bow, gun, muz)...and one bonus buck you can use in any season....( but you have to shoot 2 does in the season you use the bonus tag before you take your 2nd buck)

And obviously, you can use your bow in all seasons...which is what I do.
    Wow...love it. We can hunt Sundays & bucks = unlimited. Actually, like it or not, I grew up hunting the way we did in SC 200 years ago...dog drives & shotguns bc of how thick the under growth is here & the tradition. I still love to dog hunt & at the club, everyone can shoot a doe each day we hunt. People depend on Venison here to survive, so I had no problem shooting 12 does in one season several years ago.

Bottom line, I would prefer September 6th-January 31st in a lot of ways, but deer season would end for me once duck season opened...our deer drop horns as early as mid December (I put an arrow through a fine 8 last year on December 20th, but he was a 4 when I recovered him. found the other horn while tracking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind92 View Post
    Those of you that were able to talk to Rob these past couple of days while I was ill feel lucky... the rest of these shooters get to deal with me.... :-) Welcome aboard!!

Jenn
    Sorry to hear that you were sick Jenn. Hope you are feeling better now because you know we need somebody to babysit all of us staffers! I sent ya an email with a couple of questions.

Brandon

Dirty North Archery

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi all, greetings from KY! I'll be one of you as soon as I get my bow, I can't wait to shoot it. I'm getting a X Factor, black with silver cams. My "archery room" looks like Lancaster archery supply right now. New Shrewd target sight, Shrewd 10" carbon stabilizer (on sale now for 51% off!) Viper 4x scope, not sure about a case for this monster, I'll have to measure it to get one that fits. I shoot a Hoyt charger and a PSE DNA, but the 31" ATA bows aren't a real good fit for my 6'6" frame. I hunt and shoot 3-D, maybe even try field archery in the future. I'm not a know-it all, but I've had about every bow made in the 80's then took a time out for about 10 years and got the bug again. I'm a machinist, and after talking to Mr. Maitland, I was VERY impressed to say the least. He has about the same views as myself, and doesn't care for stuff made overseas and assembled here W/A "Made-in-America tag" on it. These kind of people are a dying breed and need our help to prosper. Thinking about another versa-rest for this bow, also have the DNA on craigslist right now, don't think I'll need it anymore. I go by "Bourbon Boy" because I live in the heart of KY'S bourbon belt, about 5 miles from Jim Beam, I do like the stuff, I just don't drink a whole lot anymore, maybe a fifth a year LOL, but my name is Chet, and glad to be a member of the team!

Bourbon boy, might be heading your way to grab a few bottles of George T. Stagg & William Larue Weller if Buffalo Trace decides to short SC again this year. They can keep the pappy...I'd rather have 4 bottles of Stagg vs one 20 year pappy any day!

Any way, a fan of bourbon is a friend of mine....welcome!

Well the day is here. My first shoot with the Maitland Raptor 3D. The Battle Mountain Archery Club is hosting a shoot in Cottonwood Canyon. This little girl of mine is driving tacks at 50 yards and screams for more !!

Supposed to be a little cool out this morning and it's windy right now. Hopefully it settles down or everyone is going to have a bad score day. I'm 100% sure nobody has heard of MaitlandUSA in this club. Mike is bringing the "HEAT" !!
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler
    Viper Sights, NAP Rests, Easton & Beman Shafts, Limbsavers, Tru-Ball.

Shoot strong today!

Jenn, Rob

Can you provide string, cable and serving specs for my K6
    DEAD CENTER ARCHERY PROSTAFF
    BLUFF COUNTRY BOWSTRINGS PROSTAFF

Dead Center Stabs, Black Eagle Arrows, BCB Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Ault View Post
    Jenn, Rob

Can you provide string, cable and serving specs for my K6
    Here ya go Ault. These are the factory specs. I changed the serving lengths on my K6 with a set of new strings. Pm me if you would like those.

I can email you the PDF if you send me your email.

Dirty North Archery

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by chenashot View Post
    Here ya go Ault. These are the factory specs. I changed the serving lengths on my K6 with a set of new strings. Pm me if you would like those.

I can email you the PDF if you send me your email.

yes and why the change in serving length
    DEAD CENTER ARCHERY PROSTAFF
    BLUFF COUNTRY BOWSTRINGS PROSTAFF

Dead Center Stabs, Black Eagle Arrows, BCB Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Ault View Post
    yes and why the change in serving length
    The factory center serving is extra long so you can move the string up and down depending on the string post/DL you use to get to where you want. Since I won't be moving my string to a different post, I had the center serving shortened by 2". This takes excess weight and bulk of if the center if the string. Also, the factory speed nocks were mounted directly onto the strings strands, not serving. I had the end servings of the string lengthened so the speed nocks were mounted on serving instead. Nothing major. All other lengths and specs are perfect.

Brandon

Dirty North Archery

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I did 18" end servings on the string instead of 16", and 5" center serving. The factory center serving was 6" actually.

Dirty North Archery

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You did the exact same thing i did brandon. My dad just put his new jbk's on his orange raptor and they look sick. Silver and rootbeer with rootbeer end servings. Look really good with the orange without taking away from the bows looks.
    PETES ARCHERY
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

I guess the word of the day was "Windy". OMG !! Like 40 mph wind gusts. A 51 yard Caribou in a cross wind, Mountain Lion in a tree and the wind is blowing your bow all over, along with the wind blowing the tree and now you have a moving target. Three other guys in my group and I placed second in our group with a 392. 504 possible, two rounds of 20 targets. Second round was horrible. There were times when all you could do was bend over and try to hold on to everything you had so the wind didn't blow you away.

As soon as I un-cased the Orange Raptor I was swarmed by questions though. Nobody had seen one or heard of Maitland before. They do now....
    Was a great time though and met some new friends.
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler

Halo 34.... 30" draw length... Number 3 mod....

String on the top cam is in the middle peg. I am no where close to 30" draw length.

Brace height is on at 7" but way short on the AtoA. Like 30 1/16"

Again I had to take 10 twists out of the buss cable to get the AtoA to where it is. Bow is at 61.0 pounds draw weight.

Bottom peg on the top cam will give me my extra 3/8" but the bow wasn't set-up like that when I got it. I even took my new strings off and installed the factory ones and did some measuring. Way short also. #3 mod on that bow is for 30.0" to 30 3/4". Wouldn't the top cam peg need to be on the top peg to get 30" ?? I'm looking to use the bottom peg just to get close to 30". What am I missing ??? Bottom cam draw stop peg is in the middle. Number 3 hole.... How accurate are the string lengths posted on the website ??? I don't think they are right. Maybe close but not exact.
    We built these strings from the experience we got from the Raptor string lengths off the website. Buss was built exact. Control was built 1/8" long. String was built 3/16" long.

Even with a longer string I can't get close to the draw length. I can sit on 29" all day. I can't untwist that string to get a full inch.

Halo Extreme will be here on the 3rd! Either all black or all camo....Rob will surprise me & I couldn't be happier....hope I get a Nebraska tag so I can show it off on TV. If not, we are filming every hunt during the rut in SC.....PRETTY DARN EXCITED!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast