Thread: Horton Archery- Gone

Horton Archery- Gone

We loose another one - Horton Archery is gone

2013 Trade Tech Titan 3 with Blackmax Carbon Limbs (Traditional setup)
    2014 Bear Agenda 7 (3d Comp and hunting Rig)

Saw a number of Horton xbows for sale at Deer Fest last Friday. Feel sorry for anyone who bought one.

I've got a buddy who bought a Horton back in Dec. of 2012. The stock has cracked where the bolt screws in under the scope mount. Tenpoint buys them out but won't warranty the the thing. I understand not wanting to warranty the bow, but why even bother buying them? He's got a moose hunt coming up in Sep and if Tenpoint won't help him out I know he won't be buying anything Tenpoint or Horton related again.
    Let's shoot for hats...
    whoof whoof whoof

Below is a link to a podcast on CBM website that will cover this tonight. Its a bad situation all around but you can't really fault Tenpoint for not warranting Horton bows. They purchased equipment and the rights to the Horton name. Although I'm sure Tenpoint is financially secure I'm also sure it was not feasible for them to take on that kind of debt, of repairing bows and making parts for bows they did not manufacture. Horton has been for sale for quite some time and NO ONE stepped up to buy them to continue the line. It was a sinking ship no one could afford or wanted to salvage. Although I feel for the Horton shooters out there, I really do, it would not have ended any better if Tenpoint had not purchased the rights. Horton was under and done for regardless. My understanding is Rick came from Horton and wants to revive the name with quality and good CS but we shall see what the future holds. Horton drove themselves out of business.

http://www.crossbowmagazine.com/
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by stinky1 View Post
    I've got a buddy who bought a Horton back in Dec. of 2012. The stock has cracked where the bolt screws in under the scope mount. Tenpoint buys them out but won't warranty the the thing. I understand not wanting to warranty the bow, but why even bother buying them? He's got a moose hunt coming up in Sep and if Tenpoint won't help him out I know he won't be buying anything Tenpoint or Horton related again.
    Horton went bankrupt. TenPoint merely bought the assets (machinery, etc..) they had, NOT the company. Horton was dead before TenPoint bought the remaining assests. Anyone who blames TenPoint for "not upholding" a warranty is after the wrong company. They need to blame Horton and the execs that ran Horton into the ground.
    Love your crossbow? Join the ranks of the American Crossobow Federation so others might have the same opportunity you do.

Quote Originally Posted by stinky1 View Post
    Kinda like ... your cousin marrying somebodies beautiful ex-wife ... and then you expect your cousin to pay her irresponsible dumped husband's debts???... LOL One has nothing to do with the other. Ten Point bought the good part, they didn't buy the ex-husband's BS too ... LOL If you have a problem with anybody, it should be the previous owners of Horton who sold their existing customers down the river in the asset sale. Horton ownership did what was best for Horton ownership ... not your buddy. Ten Point had zero to do with it.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Kinda like ... your cousin marrying somebodies beautiful ex-wife ... and then you expect your cousin to pay her irresponsible dumped husband's debts???... LOL One has nothing to do with the other. Ten Point bought the good part, they didn't buy the ex-husband's BS too ... LOL If you have a problem with anybody, it should be the previous owners of Horton who sold their existing customers down the river in the asset sale. Horton ownership did what was best for Horton ownership ... not your buddy. Ten Point had zero to do with it.
    Awesome, love it!

Now back Horton closing the doors, not good for any of those who have one.

Amen:-) What a shame for a 60+ year old crossbow company to fall apart just as the crossbow boom is.........booming:-)
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE BUT.......

Yep its sad!
    RaHoffer LLC-Pro Staff Manager, TenPoint Pro Staff, PSE Staff, Jim Fletcher Staff,Vaportrail Staff, Ridgerunner Slings Staff, Main Beam Outdoors Staff , D & T Outdoors Staff, Cass Creek Staff, U Slide Staff, ScentBlocker VIP Staff, Grim Reaper Staff, HHA Pro Staff, Trinty Archery Staff, Axion Pro Staff, Gold Tip Staff

I feel bad that Horton went out of business, but I feel worse for people who bought their bows, and dealers who stocked their new models who now cannot give them away!
    Pope and Young Club Associate Member
    Massachusetts Bowhunters Association life Member
    Elite Z28 / SZ 350 / DTM 315 SS / 330 SS / Ready- Shot Shooting Stick

Companies come and companies go in ALL product aspects. That is an economic fact of life. Sad to see Horton go, but the slack (if there is any) will be picked up by the present crossbow companies and the new up and comers.

Side note - I see Indian Motorcycles is making a comeback bid again..

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Companies come and companies go in ALL product aspects. That is an economic fact of life. Sad to see Horton go, but the slack (if there is any) will be picked up by the present crossbow companies and the new up and comers.

Side note - I see Indian Motorcycles is making a comeback bid again..

Very true, its no ones fault but Hortons.

Side note, I saw the 2014 line up looks good for them.
    Excalibur Y25. Excalibur Matrix 380 Blackout. Axiom SMF.
    TenPoint Turbo XLT. TenPoint Stealth SS.
    Mission MXB 360.
    Arrows and BH = A lot.
    Free Men Need Not Ask To Bear Arms.

How about those shops who sent crossbows in for major repair--they are still there and Ten Point will send them back to the shop if they have the RA #...they did not have to do that. Speaks volumes for Ten Point. Horton treated the pro shops garbage.
    Hoyt Staff, Carter Enterprise, Carbon Express, CBE

So, is the name dead or is Ten Point going to revive it and make bows under the Horton name? Thanks.

Meat
    Shoot by sight, walk by Faith
    Romans 10:9-10 Philippians 4:13

Hoyt Alphamax 32 Blacked Out
    Hoyt CRX 35

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    So, is the name dead or is Ten Point going to revive it and make bows under the Horton name? Thanks. Meat
    My Guess ... use some form of the name.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

I agree with Duke, the Horton name will surely be used in some manner. Maybe one or two bows or a whole line.
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

My daughter is using an old Summit HD and I was planning on replacing it next year anyway. Was going to go with another Horton, but now I think I will look at a Wicked Ridge at the end of the season.

Meat
    Shoot by sight, walk by Faith
    Romans 10:9-10 Philippians 4:13

Hoyt Alphamax 32 Blacked Out
    Hoyt CRX 35