ANOTHER PIONEER HAS LEFT US........RIP Gail Martin

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

by Dan Fitzgerald

Archery & Bowhunting has come a long way since I started over 60 yrs ago, hunting with fashioned long bows and cane & cedar arrows. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined how archery technology would take us to where we are today.

Whether you are a beginner or a veteran bowhunter or archer, you, like myself, owe a debt of gratitude to those who I consider founding Fathers of archery & bowhunting equipment.

How well I remember back in the day when the Compound Bow made it's debut, WOW!! Things in the hunting industry would never be the same...

I had always hunted with traditional equipment, but I was open to change. I am fortunate to have met and become friends with some of Archery and Bowhunting's founders, designers, engineers, and manufacturers, which helped pave the way for those who would follow.

How thankful I am for those great men, such as: Hollis Wilbur Allen (inventor of the compound bow in the 60's), Earl Hoyt, Tom Jennings, Ben Pearson, Pete Shepley, Gail Martin, Fred Bear, and now Matt McPherson, a very good friend. I remember when we used to get together at the archery events back in the early days, before bowhunting was even popular. I remember these men and many others giving of their time to share their visions. It gave me great inspiration that I have since passed on to my son, Guy.

I personally regret having lost even one of these great men. Most recently, losing yet another pioneer and friend, Mr. Gail Martin. Wow, that takes me back to the ole Cougar & Cougar Magnum! Man, did I keep the freezer full using those bows!

Gail is gone now, but his legacy will live on, as long as we have the freedom to bow hunt and shoot our bows - a freedom that Gail himself spent a lifetime protecting and crusading on behalf of. I believe that Gail helped set the bar very high, as far as the standards that others would follow, on into the future.

As dedicated bowhunting and archery crusaders, Guy and I never take for granted what these men and these companies have done and continue to do, to help ensure that we are armed with the best archery equipment available, in order to take our prey down as quick & clean as possible.

As for myself, Guy & the rest of my family, we thank God for these men and their visions. We offer our gratitude for helping make it possible for us to earn a living as a full time professional bowhunters for all of Guy's life and the majority of my adult life.

THANK YOU Pioneers. Thank you, Gail. Rest in peace.

Your Bowhuntin' Buddy,

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Good Post!

RIP Gail.
    Shootin Flat And Hittin Hard

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

well said Dan..
    JOHN'S CUSTOM ARCHERY LLC(Custom strings and tuning)
    PSE,New Breed ,Obsession
    2017 Bows Arriving Daily
    Can get any accessories you like..

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Very good post.

RIP Gail Martin, a true pioneer of the sport.
    Hidden Content to view endless pictures of custom bows and bowstrings
    Hidden Content
    219-775-8446

Dan the man
    Team fitzgerald pro staff member,pse brute x,thunderhead broad heads,cabelas/beman arrows

Awesome post Dan and thank you for the info.

Awsesome post.

RIP Gail Martin.
    Insert signature here...

Hidden Content

thanks dan,RIP MR. martin,prayers sent for the martin family.

Thanks for sharing.