Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer with broken tines? Why pass on them?

Deer with broken tines? Why pass on them?

Watched an episode of The Wild Outdoors tonight. Jay and his son passed on an amazing deer, simply because the deer had a broken brow tine. Please and I mean no disrespect to anyone by asking but why? It was clearly a mature animal, He was with his son , there was great footage even said the Buck was on the hit list. But passed just because of the broken tine. Why do you think that is? Again I really like the show and will continue to watch but confused. It's not the first time I have seen this on a program just though I'd ask

2011 Bowtech Assassin - hunting bow
    Vacancy - 3d bow
    2007 Bowtech Commander- spots bow

Because, they probably won't be broken next year.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

Some people care more about the look of the antlers more so than the experience it's self. I was hunting with my dad when I was very young. Sitting in the stand and a nice buck walked by but it had broken off the left antler. He shot the deer and put it on a small self mount. That was one of my most memorable hunts. But to a 'trophy hunter' it's probably different.
    Creed, QAD HDX, SlickTricks attached to my Beman's- Deadly Combination.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Because, they probably won't be broken next year.
    But could get hit by a car tomorrow, die of blue tounge, or I could make it I guess
    Just a thought thanks for the reply
    2011 Bowtech Assassin - hunting bow
    Vacancy - 3d bow
    2007 Bowtech Commander- spots bow

Lets say you have a Booner type animal that you are hunting and he comes in and one whole side is broke off and the other side has all the points but one broke off? Would you still shoot it? Sure you still killed it but it seems to be an injustice to take it when its not in its glory. If all you want is a mature animal you could just as well shoot an old doe.

I've passed deer because they were busted up. It depends on how much however. I passed a big 8 that had 15 inch G2s but when I got the shot he had broke one. The guy next door killed him and he had broke a G1 by then as well. If that guy was happy with that deer thats fine. To me its not a representation of what he was. The challenge to me is getting that special deer and getting him in all his glory.

Most of the reasons have already been covered but I will say most of the time when they pass deer on TV shows they are hunting heavily managed farms where seeing the same deer year after year is the norm. Now me personally hunting public land where I will most likey never see that buck again, I am taking him. But I can see waiting untill next season if there are plenty of other good deer and a better than average chance of him still being around and even bigger next year.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

I don't know, a mature deer is a mature deer. And there's nothing "glorious" about them, just wild goats. I just can't believe someone actually got on here and claimed to be a fan of Jay's show.

Some people it's all about score . A repaired antler can't be officially scored . I have repaired some just so they are more eye appealing , some i just leave . One mount has a brow missing and i left it - 2 weeks prior it was on camera with a 6" matching , It is just fine with me . I have passed only one that was broke up on a managed piece of ground . I used to be king of half rackers , they eat just fine .
    The big name tv hunters can afford to let em walk and take them next year as mentioned .
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb. My black lab Darla
    Vortex Optics - Bluff Country Bowstrings
    Tru-Fire releases

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    I don't know, a mature deer is a mature deer. And there's nothing "glorious" about them, just wild goats. I just can't believe someone actually got on here and claimed to be a fan of Jay's show.
    Not so sure i agree with , and i also like the show . Public forums are great , you get all kinds.
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb. My black lab Darla
    Vortex Optics - Bluff Country Bowstrings
    Tru-Fire releases

If I hunted the places they hunt I would pass to. Too many huge buck to chose from. Lol.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

I've seen it in PA where they have broken all their points on one side off. If he a fighter, I'm sure there are a few that break off points on both sides. This could take him from legal to illegal pretty quick with antler restrictions like we have in PA.

I have a pic of a deer from last year that I think broke off his main beams.
    Team #13 - Lucky Draw

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery."

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by catfishmafia76 View Post
    Most of the reasons have already been covered but I will say most of the time when they pass deer on TV shows they are hunting heavily managed farms where seeing the same deer year after year is the norm. Now me personally hunting public land where I will most likey never see that buck again, I am taking him. But I can see waiting untill next season if there are plenty of other good deer and a better than average chance of him still being around and even bigger next year.
    Agreed. Unless that deer gets fence cutters, they probably had other options around and that deer will likely be in better shape when they see it again next year. Some people only hunt for a number.
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT
    PSE Supra with UF cams
    Prime Centroid LR
    -Have also owned: Bowtech, PSE, Bear, Jennings, and and old bow I can't remember the maker anymore (not a brand snob)

Many trophy hunters on here that can relate, but pay to hunt (or pimp out to hunt advertising) adds all kinds of variables.

We pass them, too. They're bigger the next year anyhow in most cases....

I'm not sure understand why a guy would deliberately shoot a hit list buck that was broken up....

Personal preference and everyone has their own motives. Unlike a lot of guys, we have the opportunity in Ohio and Indiana to "shop" a bit. If all I want is meat, I can shoot more does than I can both eat and give away. i have killed enough deer that the primary challenge is to get a big dude, and will not shoot a buck unless it is going on the wall. I have more 2.5 year old racks in the garage than I can count from my earlier hunting years. The small and broken ones just don't excite me enough to shoot them, and it is more fun to drop acorns on them than burn a tag just to kill a buck. If the tines are broken, he walks until next year.

As far as the guys who I hunt with or anyone else for that matter, if they get excited about the animal in front of them... let it rip. All trophy's are in the eyes of the hunter and nobody has the right to question or judge that. I am happy for them and extremely glad they enjoy the challenge of the hunt.
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

Quote Originally Posted by catfishmafia76 View Post
    I just wonder how they edit out the ear tags on the video...

Quote Originally Posted by 2 blue ducks View Post
    Watched an episode of The Wild Outdoors tonight. Jay and his son passed on an amazing deer, simply because the deer had a broken brow tine. Please and I mean no disrespect to anyone by asking but why? It was clearly a mature animal, He was with his son , there was great footage even said the Buck was on the hit list. But passed just because of the broken tine. Why do you think that is? Again I really like the show and will continue to watch but confused. It's not the first time I have seen this on a program just though I'd ask
    they can be fixed as well ?

Because most TV hunters actually live in Fairy Land of whitetail hunting on the other hand most of us would shoot that deer because it's our only chance on a nice buck all year and would be just as happy without the brow tine. I can understand passing on a buck with 50% of his tines broke but just one missing tine not so much, a good taxi can recreate that tine if you have pics of the buck or make it match the opposite side.

This is the most busted up deer ive shot his antlers don't amount to much at all but I pretty pumped to kill him I felt like I killed a gladiator lol. He might have been a loser but he was obviously not afraid to try. Plus I was battling record high temps 90 degrees and this was Christmas week with a full moon managed to get 2 bucks down and a yote the other buck was a younger 8 point and only had a busted brow tine. For me if they get my heart tryin to leave my chest they get the shaft. But I can see why the guys that hunt low pressure and awesome deer herds would pass a buck that can be better later
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite GT 500, 29", 62lbs, Ultra Rest HD, HHA 5519, Easton Axis 340's.

I probaly would not have noticed the broken tine. When I see a Buck headed my way, as soon as I determine it is a shooter for me, I start concentrating on the shot, not the antlers.
    Mathews Z7, QAD HDX, Axis 400 Arrows
    Scott Sabertooth, Slick Trick Broadheads
    Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Wild goats? I am not sure this is the place to say that whitetail deer are not glorious.. Got to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 blue ducks View Post
    Simple, when it comes down to it......it's a clear example that trophy hunters aren't really about management. Notice how they only show the antlers after a kill, never talk about the meat.... at least Fred Eichler and Ted Nugent show how to cook em up and don't sweat the big rack.

Quote Originally Posted by dchughes7 View Post
    Wild goats? I am not sure this is the place to say that whitetail deer are not glorious.. Got to disagree.
    Oh yeah, I forgot.

I have passed up many bucks that would of been bigger than anything I have shot however they were busted up in some way shape or form. I just don't like them. It has nothing to do with score it is simply looks. I would not mount a deer if he was busted up and I would not repair a tine unleas it was broke on his death run. I just can't bring myself to shoot it. I will pass and hope I get a chance the next year.

It is kind of like late season when you got a giant in front of you but he already shed one side. I do not see the point in shooting him at that point. I feel the same towards busted up deer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast