Crossbow Bolt Size

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crossbow Bolt Size

Why are crossbow bolts so large in diameter? Why aren’t they as small as a regular arrow? Wouldn’t they be faster?

Depending on which bolts you're referring to some of them have to be rather large in diameter to hold the load, such as the limb bolts. Hope this helps.
    TenPoint Venom, Black Eagle Executioners
    New Archery Products Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, Generation 3 XB30
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

No, not really, penetrate more yes and the larger diameter helps with the spine. But you don't really need more penetration on most crossbows today. Victory has a small diameter arrows in the Voodoos but they have end and mid sections to ride the rail and I don't know that that design will penetrate any better?? The arrow is usually sticking in the ground several inches now so companies pursuing smaller arrow technology don't appeal to me personally. Might feel different if I was hunting buffalo or elephants.
    John 3:16
    Ten Point Nitro RDX
    Excalibur 350LE

Quote Originally Posted by 202gwg View Post
    Depending on which bolts you're referring to some of them have to be rather large in diameter to hold the load, such as the limb bolts. Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

Is he allowed to call them bolts........ no one is going to let him have it......?
    Scorpyd Orion Extream 175 Leupold VXR 2 x 7
    Scorpyd Orion Extream 160 Zeiss XB75
    Scorpyd Orion150
    Matrix 355 Black out/Trigger Tech ss,
    Designer of high production robotic weld systems

Dang. I knew IO forgot something at the store. I meant to pick up some bolts so I could put out my game cameras with the lock boxes bolted to the tree.
    Back to the store....

Thanks guys I just got back to checking on the answers to my question. And I was referring to the arrow when saying BOLT. Before I started shooting crow bow the first thing that came to mind for me when some one said "bolt" I always thought of hooking up a five row beder to our 4020 John Deere when we used to farm back in the 70' and 80's. Thanks for the answers. So is it bolt or arrow with-in the cross bow community.

I don't know nothin about any stinkin bolts, but arrows seem OK.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Thanks guys I just got back to checking on the answers to my question. And I was referring to the arrow when saying BOLT. Before I started shooting crow bow the first thing that came to mind for me when some one said "bolt" I always thought of hooking up a five row beder to our 4020 John Deere when we used to farm back in the 70' and 80's. Thanks for the answers. So is it bolt or arrow with-in the cross bow community.
    A skinny ... arrow would fall down in the groove between the two crossbow rails. As Pinshooter said, there's so much Kinetic Energy produced by modern crossbows that penetration is not much of a consideration.
    Wyvern Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, Slick Trick & Spitfire Wyvern Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, ACUdraw. Swarovski bino. Leica rangefinder. Surefire, Fenix, Zebralight & Olight lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Bringing this back from the dead after finding jack on the subject.
    With the advances lately in crossbows and arrows I'm surprised there hasn't been more questioning this.
    Seems to me the smaller arrows would be less affected by wind and flatter flying at longer ranges would be more than enough reason to have a smaller size especially for hunting.
    Thicker walled 500+ grain .25-.3" od arrows would really zing. Mechanical heads might be required for those long ranges but with a heavier arrow and less drag it shouldn't be a problem. Momentum should be better and more than make up for the increases weight arrow too.
    Maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    One arrow company calls his arrows= bolts -=Firenock =Aerobolt II .Like in NJ sandwich = Jersey Sub ,NY =Hero sandwich who cares lol

a lot CROSSBOW USERS use 2219 alum arrow cut to 16-22 inches depending on the model of crossbow they use,,,most call crossbow arrows just arrows.

the advantage depends on what arrow material your cross bow shoots the best with broad heads

Victory tried it with the VAP VooDoo Arrow. There is a reason they have been clearanced out! Retailers stuck with them. Do a search.
    Ventilator Extreme 175
    Ventilator 80, 100, 150
    RDT-165
    U.S. Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ventilator150 View Post
    Victory tried it with the VAP VooDoo Arrow. There is a reason they have been clearanced out! Retailers stuck with them. Do a search.
    Trust me, I have searched a LOT!
    The voodoo is a smaller arrow but many issues with the contact areas sticking out, wearing channel and flat spots on the arrow contact points.

Basicly a manufacturer would have to make a new crossbow or line of crossbows that take a smaller arrow. Sooner or later if the benefits outweigh the cons it would be adopted by the rest of the bow makers.
    Regular bow guys already have to change rests or adjust if they want a different OD arrow. They've been getting smaller and stiffer and bows faster all these years. Just a matter of time until some more changes in crossbows come.
    Seems like the new fad is toothbrush arrow retainers.

SPLINTERS!!!
    "Never judge a man... Till you walk a mile in his swamp." -----Swamp Donky

If you get too skinny where are you going to fit the fletching?
    Years PETA has kept me from hunting: 0
    Years Bowhunters have kept me from hunting: 7

Regular bow arrows that size fit vanes just fine.

I mean down in the barrel. You're trying to fit an offset vane down in there. Right now with a space 22xx arrows won't fall into people are having problems here and there if they get to radical on their offset.

Personally I never saw a benefit to thin arrows. The hunting rationalizations I heard for them and penetration made no sense what so ever when you consider the broadhead on the front.
    Years PETA has kept me from hunting: 0
    Years Bowhunters have kept me from hunting: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkynutz View Post
    Regular bow arrows that size fit vanes just fine.
    MYK is 100% right the size is in correlation to the fletching clearance down the rail .This is three threads now you are looking fore info that is outside the industry standard . I say get some arrows you think is right and do some testing, you are wasting way to much time on this when you should have just called jerry at south shore got some good arrows and been out shooting and having some fun .
    Scorpyd vent 150 ,custom stock , custom safety ,20 inch bee's, rage hypodermic broadhead's ,pinpoint scope
    Barnett bc raptor reverse .custom barrel and stock ,18 inch bee's, rage broadheads ,pinpoint scope .
    coming soon Bear custom .

I have been shooting what I currently have. I am one of the few that question EVERYTHING and always think outside the box. It's funny how much it bugs certain people and they don't understand that if my ideas don't work 99% of the time that to me it's not a waste of time or failure because that means 1% of the time I figured out something most people do not. As a race we wouldn't be where we are today by only going with what's commonly accepted as best practice. There is and will always be a better way to do things. It just depends how hard we're willing to try to find the next best one.

There was a huge storm and Jim was getting worried because he lived in a valley and feared flooding.

So he began to ready himself to protect his home as well as he could. The storm came and the water began to rise so Jim began to pray and shortly after a 4 wheel drive came by and the driver asked if he wanted to ride out. Jim thought about it and said he was praying and waiting on God.

Soon the water level was rising and moved up into the house so he continued to pray and went to the roof. Still praying a boat came by and Jim once again told the person in the boat he was waiting on God.

Soon the water was over the roof and Jim found himself in knee deep in water, still praying a helicopter came by and once again Jim said he was waiting on God.

Soon Jim found himself in the top of the tree, now becoming very discouraged he prayed, God why? Why am I stuck in this tree I have been praying continually?

God responded, I have sent you a truck, a boat and a helicopter, you really need to learn to listen.

I find if I search I will find someone who has already failed 99% of the time, saves me a whole lot of time, trouble and money!
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Authorized Scorpyd, Tenpoint, Wicked Ridge, Horton, Excalibur and Stryker Dealer
    The Best Hunting Arrows In The World, Guaranteed!
    www.SouthShoreArcherySupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShoreRat View Post
    There was a huge storm and Jim was getting worried because he lived in a valley and feared flooding.

So he began to ready himself to protect his home as well as he could. The storm came and the water began to rise so Jim began to pray and shortly after a 4 wheel drive came by and the driver asked if he wanted to ride out. Jim thought about it and said he was praying and waiting on God.

Soon the water level was rising and moved up into the house so he continued to pray and went to the roof. Still praying a boat came by and Jim once again told the person in the boat he was waiting on God.

Soon the water was over the roof and Jim found himself in knee deep in water, still praying a helicopter came by and once again Jim said he was waiting on God.

Soon Jim found himself in the top of the tree, now becoming very discouraged he prayed, God why? Why am I stuck in this tree I have been praying continually?

God responded, I have sent you a truck, a boat and a helicopter, you really need to learn to listen.

I find if I search I will find someone who has already failed 99% of the time, saves me a whole lot of time, trouble and money!

Words to live by.... by Jerry

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShoreRat View Post

LMFAO

Great Jerry. And words to live by for certain...

If every one else would rather give up their freedom of choice for fear of wasting their time and looking like a fool to others thats their choice. That's why the sheeple gave us the voting options we currently have. My life is not in danger asking questions or looking into things like a guy that won't leave his home due to flood after theres no reason to stay. Think more along the guy that saved his home from flood after all his neighbors, friends and family told him he was nuts for spending a couple grand on sand bags when he saw the signs of a flood coming. He thought outside the box, ignored the majority and when everybody else lost their homes who's the fool?

This thread is about arrow size and why not smaller arrows for crossbows. Just because the arrow size is what it currently is doesn't mean that it won't some day go the way of the vhs tape. Sure it beat out beta by the masses but there was still a more efficient way to save and play video that came after.
    If some one never questioned.archery equipment we'd still be shooting only recurve and wood arrows and not have the variety of broadhead types, arrow materials and sizes too. There's more than one way to put deer meat on the table.

If every one else would rather give up their freedom of choice for fear of wasting their time and looking like a fool to others thats their choice. That's why the sheeple gave us the voting options we currently have. My life is not in danger asking questions or looking into things like a guy that won't leave his home due to flood after theres no reason to stay. Think more along the guy that saved his home from flood after all his neighbors, friends and family told him he was nuts for spending a couple grand on sand bags when he saw the signs of a flood coming. He thought outside the box, ignored the majority and when everybody else lost their homes who's the fool?

This thread is about arrow size and why not smaller arrows for crossbows. Just because the arrow size is what it currently is doesn't mean that it won't some day go the way of the vhs tape. Sure it beat out beta by the masses but there was still a more efficient way to save and play video that came after.
    If some one never questioned.archery equipment we'd still be shooting only recurve and wood arrows and not have the variety of broadhead types, arrow materials and sizes too. There's more than one way to put deer meat on the table.
    Well said. Amen.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Mission, 320 and 360, Excal Vortex (deep backup). Single shot rifles and handguns

Sparky, you missed the point of my little joke!

Wasnt trying upset you!

Victory has tried the micro arrows and they kind of flopped. Over 5 years ago they introduced it and they are still selling the first shipment they brought in. Look for them to be dropped as soon as their inventory is gone.

There is really on one reason for an arrow to be smaller in diameter and that is crosswind drift the idea that a smaller arrow has better penetrations is promoted inaccurately as to what is the real facts.

The biggest gain in penetration is not because of the diameter of the arrow it is due to the increased front of center because of the heavy inserts required to use the arrows for hunting.

The point of my joke was to in a funny way point out that its cool to look and investigate but there are guys like myself who have already invested many years into that type of research and made all of the typical mistakes.

I would be more than happy to talk arrows with you for as long as you like, just make sure you call in the evening because you will be on the phone for a while.

Jerry
    813-545-0754
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Authorized Scorpyd, Tenpoint, Wicked Ridge, Horton, Excalibur and Stryker Dealer
    The Best Hunting Arrows In The World, Guaranteed!
    www.SouthShoreArcherySupply.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast