a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Crossbow Bolt Size

Crossbow Bolt Size

Why are crossbow bolts so large in diameter? Why aren’t they as small as a regular arrow? Wouldn’t they be faster?

Depending on which bolts you're referring to some of them have to be rather large in diameter to hold the load, such as the limb bolts. Hope this helps.
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

No, not really, penetrate more yes and the larger diameter helps with the spine. But you don't really need more penetration on most crossbows today. Victory has a small diameter arrows in the Voodoos but they have end and mid sections to ride the rail and I don't know that that design will penetrate any better?? The arrow is usually sticking in the ground several inches now so companies pursuing smaller arrow technology don't appeal to me personally. Might feel different if I was hunting buffalo or elephants.
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

Quote Originally Posted by 202gwg View Post
    Depending on which bolts you're referring to some of them have to be rather large in diameter to hold the load, such as the limb bolts. Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

Is he allowed to call them bolts........ no one is going to let him have it......?
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Dang. I knew IO forgot something at the store. I meant to pick up some bolts so I could put out my game cameras with the lock boxes bolted to the tree.
    Back to the store....

Thanks guys I just got back to checking on the answers to my question. And I was referring to the arrow when saying BOLT. Before I started shooting crow bow the first thing that came to mind for me when some one said "bolt" I always thought of hooking up a five row beder to our 4020 John Deere when we used to farm back in the 70' and 80's. Thanks for the answers. So is it bolt or arrow with-in the cross bow community.

I don't know nothin about any stinkin bolts, but arrows seem OK.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Thanks guys I just got back to checking on the answers to my question. And I was referring to the arrow when saying BOLT. Before I started shooting crow bow the first thing that came to mind for me when some one said "bolt" I always thought of hooking up a five row beder to our 4020 John Deere when we used to farm back in the 70' and 80's. Thanks for the answers. So is it bolt or arrow with-in the cross bow community.
    A skinny ... arrow would fall down in the groove between the two crossbow rails. As Pinshooter said, there's so much Kinetic Energy produced by modern crossbows that penetration is not much of a consideration.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971