Thread: Mechanical broadheads-minimum speed for hunting?

Mechanical broadheads-minimum speed for hunting?

What is the minimum arrow weight and speed for mechanical broadheads for deer?

Hunting with minimum requirements for mechanicals does this limit shooting range for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper1
    What is the minimum arrow weight and speed for mechanical broadheads for deer?

Hunting with minimum requirements for mechanicals does this limit shooting range for deer?

I'll save you the hassle of someone jumping down your throat lol. Do a search for mechanical heads and you will find your question answered over and over again. I am not being rude, please don't take me that way, but this topic has been discussed to death and some of the other guys won't be as friendly

It depends on the head the sniper penitrates as well mas most 3 blade fixed heads, but on the other hand the 4 blade 2" hamerhead needs about 70lbs of ken. energy. Most 3 blade heads under 1.5" need about 55# of energy when hunting deer

speedxspeedxarrow wieght/ 450240=ken. energy

I'll do a search, was hoping for somthing general/simple for some newbies...............

Dpends on your setup, just like fixed blades. Alot of guys shouldn't be shooting a 1.5" fixed head, and alot of guys shouldn't be shooting a 1.5" mech.

Speed doesn't telll you anything really, just gives an indication of how much energy your rig has. Arrow momentum is the key factor in penetration.

If you are concerned about how much power you have, shoot a 1 and 1/8" to 1 and 1/4" mech. Mech this size are desinged for any bow on the market and you will do fine with one that size. Many people find they penetrate as well as any fixed head has for them.

Few mechanical broadhead manufacturers define, list or recommend minimum speed or kinetic energy needed for their broadheads to work properly and effectively. There are a lot of variables such as arrow speed, draw weight, shooting angles, blade retention design, broadhead material construction, etc to consider when choosing the "right" mechanical broadhead. I personally think the design of most of the mechanical heads are MUCH better than say 5 years ago but still they all won't for for every setup.

Much of the bad rap mechanical heads get is because because people aren't using the right head with the right bow and arrow combination, or they pull a shot and hit an animal in a non lethal area and expect the broadhead to perform miracles.

Rocket Aeroheads like many mechanical broadhead manufacturers have lots of models to choose from but unlike most other manufacturers Rocket Aeroheads designs, tests, and lists arrow speed recommendations for each model. If you choose a Rocket model broadhead based on their recommendations for minimum arrow speed Rockets will perform as advertised under MOST conditions.

It depends on the head, how big it is, how fast it opens etc. I hate to give set answers but if you read through my link it will give you some general guidelines to follow.
    http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
    http://www.broadheadtests.com

Thumper1 my middle son started with a PSE Nova at 54 lbs. a round wheeled bow. I had him use Wasp, and Rocky Mtn. 75 grs. the first few years,then we switched to Rocket 3P wolveirine 75gr. That bow shot the rockets thru deer just as well as the fixed bladed heads. My youngest son shot a Pa. buck two yrs. ago with one of these heads. He misjugde the angle of the deer,it was facing him more than he thought. The arrow hit the deer right behind the right shoulder and exited the left ham. When we started the blood trail had some brown slop on the ground and arrow, I thought he had shot the deer in the guts.125 yards later we had a dead buck.His set a 60lb. high country bow 75-95 gold-tip 75gr 3p wolveirine.

Thanks guys! I shoot a recurve and didn't really have a clue. Did some research and I think I can give advice to some new shooters starting out. I was looking for something simple like the old Navy Dive Table's 60ft for 60min. Came up with 450gr arrow at 250fps. Thanks again!

I hunt with stickbows also but WOULD NOT recommend any mechanical broadhead for a traditional setup.

Stick with proven 2 or 3 blade traditional broadheads such a Magnus, Simmons, Zwickey etc for best results and leave the mechanicle heads for compound users.

I believe the rocket website has all their heads listed and the guidelines that are recommended for speed on each head. I don't think the steelhead has a required speed can be shot at any speed, the 100grn anyway its a 1 1/8 and is one awesome head. I know of at least one Ontario moose that fell to this head from 25yards away, shot out of a 60lb bow. hit both lungs.
    Bryan
    Ontario Monster Whitetail Magazine
    www.frow.ca Ontario Big Game Records Book

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rhinefield
    I hunt with stickbows also but WOULD NOT recommend any mechanical broadhead for a traditional setup.

Stick with proven 2 or 3 blade traditional broadheads such a Magnus, Simmons, Zwickey etc for best results and leave the mechanicle heads for compound users.

Mike I agree, its not for traditional use. I always start new shooters off with 50lb compounds at 65% let-off shooting 4 blade Muzzy's for hunting. Where they go from there is their call. But I'm getting questions now about mechanicals from first time newbie's, the adds are working....

For deer I would say 45 pounds KE with 375 grain arrow. 240 to 250 FPS with Mech. If that was what I was using, the only Mech. to use would be the Steelhead 100 grain 3 blade.

Thanks Keenedge!