Thread: My Home-made Bow Case

My Home-made Bow Case

Hi Everyone,

I was looking around for a bow case for my recurve bow and could not find one I like. I did quite a bit of research on the soft cases and the hard ones and came to the conclusion that the soft cases are overpriced, the hard ones are mostly for Compound bows. I am sure you all know what I mean especially if you are trying to find one that has separate compartments for the limbs and riser. At one point I had even tried to outfit a baseball kit bag, but was unhappy with the amount of protection it brings.

So after talking to my friend Drew, who is a very good handyman, I decided to build my own bow case. It was a very simple and unambitious project. Just a basic wooden case on the outside and stryrofoam inside. My main concerns while building it was how I am going to cut stryofoam using a knife, where to find long pieces of styrofoam from the hobby shops and how to get the box to sit and close well together.

Well, its was a hot summer in Arizona and I needed something to do while I was indoors so here are some pics of the box. Its an especially good idea if you have kids and want to introduce them to wood working and working with simple tools. Hope U all like it.

Very Nice.

Sweet! Wish I had even the slightest skill with wood...
    -Andy
    -------------------------------------
    2010 Hoyt AlphaMax 35

Very nice job on the foam! Where did you get it? Did you cover it? I'm still not satisfied w/ how I have mine --- guess I should try again w/ the craft foam sheets which I was most successful w/). Neat idea to use the drawer/door pull for a handle (I spent way too much on the hardware for mine).

Agree that case selection is really limited, but making one's own is very traditional.

What all are you keeping in it? I tried hard to set up my case to have everything I need at the range --- managed everything but my quiver (see my avatar and http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1335300 and http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1504242 and http://lumberjocks.com/projects/75378 ).

Still thinking about one more iteration --- will leave out the dividers and work up a pair of smaller cases which latch in place --- other suggestions are welcome.
    --
    Bear Custom Kodiak T/D (green stripe) B-handle w/ #1 limbs (50#). Carbon Express Heritage 150 arrows w/ 100gr. bullet points, Carbon Express Nativ broadheads, G5 Small Game heads.

well done
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolcj5 View Post
    well done
    yup, x2
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Nice!

very cool !!!

Looks good. How much does it weigh?
    PSE Brute-X 70lb @ 30", QAD HDX, 60x Strings

Cool dude, looks good to me

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. Its really not hard to build this. All the items are from Home Depot, except the fabric for it which I got from Jo-Ann. The finished weight of the box by itself is about 10 lbs. My finishing was kind of rough as I had screws on the outside of the box, a good woodworker would have used like a finger-joint or a router to put the box together.

The foam are actually insulation for homes from Home Depot. Its the best choice for a foam as the ones at the hobby shops and Jo-Ann are too small and expensive, and have limited sizes. A sheet of 2 inch and 3 inch thick insulation has enough for you to cut and cut again if you mess up (like I did). I have attached the picture below so you can see how the foam looks like. Don't invest in any special heat knife or foam cutting knife just for this, instead find a very sharp knife. I used a Gerber knife that I sharpened before I used it to trace the shape of the riser and limbs.

As for the fabric, I used Spray-on Adhesive from Home Depot to stick the fabric to the foam. Simple pull the fabric tight, spray a thin layer on the foam and push it down in place. Careful, this gets stuck almost instantly. If you messed up, just loosened it and pull it tight again. I had to do this two or three times before it kind of became decent enough.

IMG_0371 (800x600).jpg

Feel free to shop around and look for sources for wood and foam. i spent almost 2 weeks visiting archery shops and home improvement stores and even sporting good stores. Go online to find the home depot or lowe's website to find the necessary parts before you go to the store to see the item in person.

If anybody needs more help building it, feel free to message me, I can try to find all the links to the materials I purchased.

I've found a serated fillet knife to work best for cutting the foam.

I considered insulation foam, but was concerned about off-gassing and smells or trapped moisture causing rust... any problems?
    --
    Bear Custom Kodiak T/D (green stripe) B-handle w/ #1 limbs (50#). Carbon Express Heritage 150 arrows w/ 100gr. bullet points, Carbon Express Nativ broadheads, G5 Small Game heads.

I like it. Good job! You just gave me an idea for a way to protect my wife's and I sights and stabilizers

Willadams, definitely the serrated edges help a lot. As for insulation foam giving off any unpleasant odor, so far that has not happened. I live in Arizona and had it in the front of my truck while I was buying materials and it did not degrade or produce any smells or discoloration. It has also been rained on once and still seems okay after I dried it. I think it's the same styrofoam materials that they sell in Joann and michaels and craft stores. I find that as soon as you cut it to size, wrapping it in a fabric is very important as it keeps the shape of the foam well and gives it a more finished feeling.

Thank you jarfly. Definitely worth the time to buy and cut up some foam for your sights and stabilizers. I recommend cutting then immediately wrapping a fabric around it. It protects the foam and offers a certain degree of protection to your sights too.

Nice staining

The case looks really good. What kind of fabric did you use to cover the foam?