a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelled corn that nothing will eat????

Shelled corn that nothing will eat????

Considering there's no acorns here this year, and my lack of health, I decided to fire up my corn feeder again last week.

I went and bought two bags of shelled corn and put some out. Have my trail cam over it.

Much to my surprise nothing will eat it. I have pics of deer, a family of coons, a yote, red fox, grey fox, and even a dang crow. They all just walked up to it, smelled it, but wouldn't touch it.

I put slices of apples in the corn that piled up at the bottom and they just dug it out and ate it, but not the corn.

With no acorns, you would think they would be burning it up. But they are not.

Last year a friend told me the same thing happened to him with shelled corn. I didn't really believe him, but now I do. Pretty sure it came from Southern States farm supply, same place mine did.

I've never had this happen to me before. Every darn critter in the woods gobbled up shelled corn.

I spoke to someone at Southern States and he said he's never heard of that before?? I informed him I will be returning it next week if nothing eats on it by then.

Anyone else ever have that happen to them?

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

May have been moldy.
    Mathews heli-m
    Mathews Chill
    Mathews Z7 extreme
    Hoyt Vantage Elite
    Hoyt horizon Olympic recurve

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    May have been moldy.
    That would be my guess right there. I have seen moldy corn sit outside of a silo for months and nothing would touch it. If it is bad, they won't go get it from what I have seen in the past.
    Counting down the days til MN season starts!

Ive had it happen a few years ago. It laid there for 4 weeks before something hit it. But once they started, it only lasted a few days.
    What'ere I do, Where'ere I be, Still tis God's hand that leadeth me.

That's odd, Ed. Until recently (Virginia has a no-baiting/no-feeding law that went into effect Sept 1), I had regularly spread corn in a back corner of our rear yard, as our 4yr old girl an 2yr old boy are nuts about watching the "baby fawns" feed. I use whole corn from Tractor Supply Company, and we can't keep the deer, coons and squirrels off the piles. HOWEVER, last Summer, I picked up a bag of cracked corn from Southern States, and for some reason it went untouched. Crows ate most of it, but deer walked past it. I had never really thought twice about it until I saw your post. Now, my my interest is piqued!

(PS - still haven't had any luck with new strings... Wish you lived in VA!)
    <')))><
    Living he loved me, dying he saved me.

Need change? Break a BUCK into four quarters!

interesting.... last two weeks nothing eats my southern states corn too? na, can't be coincidence right? I mean, how can you screw up shelled corn?

2012 Mathews Conquest 4 - 60lbs - Hogg Father - Axion Pulse Rest - XX75 2219 - VPA 150 grain - Scott Exxus

Ive had corn go moldy and the coons still eat it. Maybe something in the processing made the corn smell funny.

The deer are still on their summer feeding patterns. At this point they're primarily feeding on "browse" or whatever else that's "green". As we move into fall and the lush browse begins to "brown". The deer will move into fall and then winter feeding patterns. This is when they will seek out corn or other grains. I've never used a feeder to bait but I have used molasses coated corn spread out on the ground with great results. My dad used it in his feeder and it would sometimes "gum it up". Just check it from time to time to make its not plugged.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by dbow View Post
    interesting.... last two weeks nothing eats my southern states corn too? na, can't be coincidence right? I mean, how can you screw up shelled corn?
    Well, after it happened to my friend last year, and now what I'm seeing, I believe there's something in or on the corn from Southern States.

It's not moldy at all. Looks like it was just harvested.

Considering no acorns here this year, deer should be burning it up. At the very least the coons, crows, squirrels, wood chucks, should be eating it.

There's tons of squirrels all around my property. And usually I can't keep them out of my corn feeder.

I mean if a dang old nasty crow wont even eat it [and Lord knows there's no shortage of those blasted things here] that right there tells me something is on that corn.

Never had that issue before.

Keep it coming guys. I'd really like to hear from anyone that uses shelled corn from Southern States.

Skeet.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
    That's odd, Ed. Until recently (Virginia has a no-baiting/no-feeding law that went into effect Sept 1), I had regularly spread corn in a back corner of our rear yard, as our 4yr old girl an 2yr old boy are nuts about watching the "baby fawns" feed. I use whole corn from Tractor Supply Company, and we can't keep the deer, coons and squirrels off the piles. HOWEVER, last Summer, I picked up a bag of cracked corn from Southern States, and for some reason it went untouched. Crows ate most of it, but deer walked past it. I had never really thought twice about it until I saw your post. Now, my my interest is piqued!

(PS - still haven't had any luck with new strings... Wish you lived in VA!)
    Definitely something in or on that corn then. This is not just an isolated case.

I'm using southern states shelled corn and the deer, turkeys, coons, and squirrels have been tearing into it. That's weird, I've never heard of that happening before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Elite Energy 35 72lbs and 29", Spot Hogg Hogg Father, QAD HDX, Doinker Unity, Scott Longhorn Hunter, Gold Tip XT Hunter 300, Rage Hypodermics

May have to get an answer from a master baiter? Some states have that certification now. I read it online so it has to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Hard View Post
    I'm using southern states shelled corn and the deer, turkeys, coons, and squirrels have been tearing into it. That's weird, I've never heard of that happening before.

Wonder if it's geographically?

It's been going on here in KY.

I'm kind of wondering if it may be the bags it comes in?

Quote Originally Posted by bat man View Post
    may have to get an answer from a master baiter? Some states have that certification now. I read it online so it has to be true?
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    Wonder if it's geographically?

It's been going on here in KY.

I'm kind of wondering if it may be the bags it comes in?
    I'm not sure. Yours come in the big white 100 lb bags too right ?

Elite Energy 35 72lbs and 29", Spot Hogg Hogg Father, QAD HDX, Doinker Unity, Scott Longhorn Hunter, Gold Tip XT Hunter 300, Rage Hypodermics

Could be the bag. Have to be careful when baiting for deer that the bag is a good bag. Very important.

Gmo....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by lavazhole View Post
    Gmo....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Possibly , dam Monsanto
    member of narragansettbowhunters.org

Yeah the deer know what is GMO and what's not. That would be the selling seed ever, deer repellent corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've had deer not eat corn this time of year more than once. Still lots of green browse for them to eat right now. Give it another month, I bet they tear it up. I seriously doubt it's the corn. You could always turn some hogs loose there. They'll eat it, anytime, anywhere.

So if a guy is super lazy and can't get deer to come to corn what does he do? Quit hunting? I don't know what the answer is?

May have to get an answer from a master baiter? Some states have that certification now. I read it online so it has to be true?
    Really? A "Master Baiter" huh? LOL!!
    Road Crew Pro Staff
    I shoot bows

They have seen that trap before...
    Diamond Outlaw 60#, Crackerized flo green & black, Cobra Smoke 5 pin sight, trophy ridge quiver & Octane hunter stabilizer

Wicked Ridge Warrior Xbow

So if a guy is super lazy and can't get deer to come to corn what does he do? Quit hunting? I don't know what the answer is?
    Go to Einstein's like you and beg for help.

I have had corn go uneaten before that I purchased from a dog food plant. Can't speak of SS corn because I have never purchased any from them. To expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast