Archery Talk Forum banner

Shelled corn that nothing will eat????

6K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  elcid99 
#1 ·
Considering there's no acorns here this year, and my lack of health, I decided to fire up my corn feeder again last week.

I went and bought two bags of shelled corn and put some out. Have my trail cam over it.

Much to my surprise nothing will eat it. I have pics of deer, a family of *****, a yote, red fox, grey fox, and even a dang crow. They all just walked up to it, smelled it, but wouldn't touch it.

I put slices of apples in the corn that piled up at the bottom and they just dug it out and ate it, but not the corn.

With no acorns, you would think they would be burning it up. But they are not.

Last year a friend told me the same thing happened to him with shelled corn. I didn't really believe him, but now I do. Pretty sure it came from Southern States farm supply, same place mine did.

I've never had this happen to me before. Every darn critter in the woods gobbled up shelled corn.

I spoke to someone at Southern States and he said he's never heard of that before?? I informed him I will be returning it next week if nothing eats on it by then.

Anyone else ever have that happen to them?

Skeet.

See less See more
#5 ·
That's odd, Ed. Until recently (Virginia has a no-baiting/no-feeding law that went into effect Sept 1), I had regularly spread corn in a back corner of our rear yard, as our 4yr old girl an 2yr old boy are nuts about watching the "baby fawns" feed. I use whole corn from Tractor Supply Company, and we can't keep the deer, ***** and squirrels off the piles. HOWEVER, last Summer, I picked up a bag of cracked corn from Southern States, and for some reason it went untouched. Crows ate most of it, but deer walked past it. I had never really thought twice about it until I saw your post. Now, my my interest is piqued!

(PS - still haven't had any luck with new strings... Wish you lived in VA!)

#10 ·
That's odd, Ed. Until recently (Virginia has a no-baiting/no-feeding law that went into effect Sept 1), I had regularly spread corn in a back corner of our rear yard, as our 4yr old girl an 2yr old boy are nuts about watching the "baby fawns" feed. I use whole corn from Tractor Supply Company, and we can't keep the deer, ***** and squirrels off the piles. HOWEVER, last Summer, I picked up a bag of cracked corn from Southern States, and for some reason it went untouched. Crows ate most of it, but deer walked past it. I had never really thought twice about it until I saw your post. Now, my my interest is piqued!

(PS - still haven't had any luck with new strings... Wish you lived in VA!)
Definitely something in or on that corn then. This is not just an isolated case.

#9 ·
Well, after it happened to my friend last year, and now what I'm seeing, I believe there's something in or on the corn from Southern States.

It's not moldy at all. Looks like it was just harvested.

Considering no acorns here this year, deer should be burning it up. At the very least the *****, crows, squirrels, wood chucks, should be eating it.

There's tons of squirrels all around my property. And usually I can't keep them out of my corn feeder.

I mean if a dang old nasty crow wont even eat it [and Lord knows there's no shortage of those blasted things here] that right there tells me something is on that corn.

Never had that issue before.

Keep it coming guys. I'd really like to hear from anyone that uses shelled corn from Southern States.

Skeet.

#7 ·
Ive had corn go moldy and the ***** still eat it. Maybe something in the processing made the corn smell funny.

#8 ·
The deer are still on their summer feeding patterns. At this point they're primarily feeding on "browse" or whatever else that's "green". As we move into fall and the lush browse begins to "brown". The deer will move into fall and then winter feeding patterns. This is when they will seek out corn or other grains. I've never used a feeder to bait but I have used molasses coated corn spread out on the ground with great results. My dad used it in his feeder and it would sometimes "gum it up". Just check it from time to time to make its not plugged.

Good Luck

#20 ·
I've had deer not eat corn this time of year more than once. Still lots of green browse for them to eat right now. Give it another month, I bet they tear it up. I seriously doubt it's the corn. You could always turn some hogs loose there. They'll eat it, anytime, anywhere.

#26 ·
Black mold is not visible unless viewed under a black light. Most animals won't eat it and the ones that do get sick. With the draught the past 2 years in the Midwest, black mold affected a lot of crops. A small percentage of black mold is permitted when selling; however, above that percentage it must be destroyed. A lot of farmers in Indiana were required to dig a hole and bury. It's serious business....

Google "Rural King recalled deer corn"

#29 ·
I had good success with rural king corn this season, but I pulled my bait last weekend because hunting season is around the corner.

#31 ·
Once again guys, it's not just deer that won't touch the corn. Nothing will eat it. Period.

Not a family of *****, yotes, red fox, grey fox, not even a nasty crow.

My trail cam plainly shows them walking up to it, smelling it, and walking away.

So it can't be just deer that's not wanting to eat shelled corn right now. Besides, I've been putting out corn for a long time now and they've always torn it up this time of year. So I don't buy into the "just that time of year" thing. Not here in KY anyway.

So perhaps black mold that cannot be seen? IDK.

All I know is I'm not the only one that's having, or had issues with Southern States corn, and nothing eating it.

There has to be a logical reason, eh?

Happy Shooting guys.

Skeet.

#34 ·
I already know the problem. Nothing will eat it. It's not the animals it's the corn. I'd like to know why that is?

Is it the brand of seed?

Is it mold that can't be seen?

Is it something some farmers spray on corn so deer won't eat it? That's what I'm now thinking.

So I'm wanting to hear from others if they have had the same issues with SS corn. As you can see by some of the responses, the answer has been yes for the most part.

Very limited in this one horse town on shelled corn. So I'll have to find another place that is not Southern States. Hard to do in this neck of the woods.

I actually tried calling a buddy of mine in another town yesterday but no answer so far. He's probably out hunting considering yesterday was the opening of season.

There has to be a logical explanation for this???

There's a big farm not too far away that grows corn so I think I'll pay them a visit and ask them what they think about it. They will most likely know.

If I can find out the answer I'll post it for everyone. Or if anyone else can find out what it is, please post up.

Skeet.

#33 ·
the corn might have been over fumigated in storage to keep the bugs out and they are smelling the toxins , it could also be old corn that has been stored too long,
instead of taking it back , do this .
fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 up ,dump in about three cheap beers and fill with water ,cover with tight lid and set out in the sun for a few days to a week.
presto you now have the best hog bait and catfish chum there is

#35 ·
the corn might have been over fumigated in storage to keep the bugs out and they are smelling the toxins , it could also be old corn that has been stored too long,
instead of taking it back , do this .
fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 up ,dump in about three cheap beers and fill with water ,cover with tight lid and set out in the sun for a few days to a week.
presto you now have the best hog bait and catfish chum there is
Now that's something else I was wondering about. Some kind of spray/chemical to either keep bugs out or make the corn last longer in the bags.

That would make perfect sense and the guys at SS wouldn't know a thing about it.

That actually makes more sense than anything else so far.

Thanks for posting that.

#39 ·
LOL, I wouldn't put it past those liberal knob heads, but I seriously doubt it.

I do believe Monsanto has the money and technology to do so. Not saying that's the case, but somethings up.

Most likely some kind of spray as mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.