Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Rest for Finger shooting

I have been using the NAP flipper center rest with the plunger for 20 years. I wish they still made them as quit making them several years back. But I have never had a problem with them. I am sure glad I have 4 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zestycj7 View Post
    The biscuit blocks the tip of your arrow so you can not see it.
    Don.
    If one is actually shooting instinctively the tip of the arrow is of no concern.otherwise you would be gap shooting.and arrow length wouldn't matter to much either
    spot hogg
    bohning

Well I have to say boys that the Timberdoodle ll is a awesome rest

I haven't seen anyone mention this rest, and it's more complicated for sure, but I had a TT Smackdown Pro on my Hoyt I just recently sold. I kept the rest, if that tells you anything! I love it. It looks like the containment bar would get in the way, but I've never had it get in the way personally, but it could be the way I shoot too.

You might look at it.

I have been bowhunting since 1989 and in that time have had three bows:
    High Country Sniper XL (44" a2a)
    High Country Safari (41" a2a)
    Current bow is a 2007 Bowtech Commander (37.25" a2a)

I tried a release my first year and went back to fingers. I have shot one over / two under but I drop the bottom finger after anchoring so I really shoot one over / one under
    Never had an issue w pinch and can hit a beer can 9/10 times at 20 yds; getting inside a 8" pie plate at 30 yds is no problem.

Used a NAP Flipper rest for years on all three bows, but now shoot a Whisker Biscuit and cannot imagine hunting w/o one.

Simple set up & the biggest advantage is the arrow will not come off the rest.....period

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Springy...simple, really works, sturdy, adjustable, forgiving, proven over a long period of time. I've run out of discriptive words. Buy one and try it.
    Thanks old Sarge IMHO the Springy is still the best for either Finger Shooting or Release shooting. Just look at the records Terry Ragsdale shot with Springy's ---the first perfect 560 round at the NFAA Nationals.

The adjustable Springy Arrow rest is available at www.patnorrisarchery.com There is a picture of the Miro-Adjustable one and the Standard Springy. Click on the picture and it takes you to the order page.
    bowproPat

Quote Originally Posted by zestycj7 View Post
    Depending on the arrow dia. and the blades they send, you might have to make them thinner in the width for fletching clearance.
    When I talked to the owner in Yankton and told him they have to be modified to be legal for fingers for NFAA he replaced the fingers with stiffer ones that lift the arrow shaft up higher to make the 1/4" above the shaft rule.
    I thought that NFAA compound finger shooters (Freestyle Limited) could shoot any type of rest. I was under the assumption that the difference between Freestyle and Freestyle Limited was release vs fingers. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotv2 View Post
    I thought that NFAA compound finger shooters (Freestyle Limited) could shoot any type of rest. I was under the assumption that the difference between Freestyle and Freestyle Limited was release vs fingers. Am I wrong?

Thanks
    Only reason for a concern about part of the rest being more than 1/4 inch above the arrow would be if shooting BAREBOW or BOWHUNTER (no sights). Freestyle Limited, wouldn't be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-prez View Post
    Only reason for a concern about part of the rest being more than 1/4 inch above the arrow would be if shooting BAREBOW or BOWHUNTER (no sights). Freestyle Limited, wouldn't be a concern.
    I get it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bopo2 View Post
    If one is actually shooting instinctively the tip of the arrow is of no concern.otherwise you would be gap shooting.and arrow length wouldn't matter to much either
    WB isn't legal (or smart) for BB or BH, it's legal (just not smart) for the other classes.

If you think arrow length doesn't matter for non-sight shooting (especially gap) then I wish you the best of luck

-Grant
    Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Quote Originally Posted by bopo2 View Post
    Go ahead and try a WB with it blocking the arrow tip, then tell me if you can hit the spot on the target.
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Just aim with the top of the WB housing. WB not legal for BB, BH, TRAD, LB, however.
    Jim Quarles

Illegitimus non Carborundum

Got the timberdoodle II a few days ago and waited until after our Sunday club shoot to install. With the Whisker, on Sunday, I shot my best Hunter/Field round yet, and wasn't sure I wanted to change, but what the heck. Took measurements from Whisker and installed Timberdoodle. Adjusted spring tension, and bent tangs to accept arrow. With it close, proceeded to paper tune in garage. After a few adjustments everything was spot on. The only problem that showed up was the arrow lifting off the rest when drawing, but it only happen a couple of times. Today went to range and noted my 40,50,60 pins weren't working, and I was hitting left. After moving pins and sight, I was in the ball park--not sure I could better my Whisker score yet, but we'll see. One thing I notice was a cleaner arrow flight. Smile.
    2012 Bear Arnachy, TR sight, Spot Hogg Infinity rest, 10" B-stinger, Stan SX-2, Stan X
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, Timberdoodle II rest, 11&1/2" Shrewd
    2014 PSE Fever (wife) Spot Hogg Hunter sight, TR Whisker rest, 8" B-stinger
    2014 PSE Phenom SD (wife) TR sight, Infinity rest, 10" B-stinger

After a week with the Timberdoodle and a few hundred arrows, something was still amiss. One of our club members is a coach and shoots fingers, so he gave me a couple of hints to try. My paper tune was screwed--just me, I'm sure. But, where I could put an arrow, at twenty yards, where I wanted on a target with Whisker, I struggled with the new rest. Anyway use some foot powder on vanes and notice a rub on the upper speed tang. Adjusted the tang, rotated the vanes a touch, and voila!! All came into place. Wow, just a minor adjustment and back on track. I'm still pulling the arrow off the rest at draw, but only a few times in a 100 arrows, so I'm not worrying about it. After three months shooting and really getting involved, both my wife and I have totally loved our new challenge and can't wait to shoot 3D tournaments next year.
    2012 Bear Arnachy, TR sight, Spot Hogg Infinity rest, 10" B-stinger, Stan SX-2, Stan X
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, Timberdoodle II rest, 11&1/2" Shrewd

Cant get a WB to work for me(always shot way to the right no matter what changes I made). Went back to NAP center rest and life is good.

One like new WB for sale.................

That's too bad, yet just the opposite for me today. Got tired of trying to get consistency with the doodle, and took it off for the WB. Didn't have to do much because I had just taken it off last week. Anyway shooting nice holes in paper and drilling the spots. Will check it out at range tomorrow. You can't make your shot go right ever? I'm not sure what's happening without knowing what you've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by bowproPat View Post
    Thanks old Sarge IMHO the Springy is still the best for either Finger Shooting or Release shooting. Just look at the records Terry Ragsdale shot with Springy's ---the first perfect 560 round at the NFAA Nationals.

The adjustable Springy Arrow rest is available at www.patnorrisarchery.com There is a picture of the Miro-Adjustable one and the Standard Springy. Click on the picture and it takes you to the order page.
    G'day Pat, would you have an alternative email address to the one that's showing on their website ?I've tried that one and had problems with the message bouncing back .

Sorry about hijacking the thread .

Google Pat Norrris Archery but he is on vacation until the end of the month
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum slaref View Post
    G'day Pat, would you have an alternative email address to the one that's showing on their website ?I've tried that one and had problems with the message bouncing back .

Sorry about hijacking the thread .

Quote Originally Posted by 2413gary View Post
    Google Pat Norrris Archery but he is on vacation until the end of the month
    thanks for that

Has anyone used a drop away rest like the Limbdriver?

Bill
    2012 Hoyt Element RKT 27.5" 70#
    2011 Elite Pure 27.5" 60#
    2006 Hoyt Ultra Elite XT 3000 Spiral Cam 27 " 60#
    Black Widow PLX Curly Etimoe/Honduran Rosewood 50#

Quote Originally Posted by SactoBowman View Post
    Has anyone used a drop away rest like the Limbdriver?

Bill
    When I decided to use my Reflex Extreme for fingers, for a while I shot it with the DMI Xpert dropaway rest already fitted (until I got a Bodoodle).
    I was a little concerned that the minimal sideways restraint on the arrow would be detrimental, but it shot very well.

Kev
    AlienX, Next camo, 63lbs, 405gr@270fps, for bigger game.
    AlienX, Black/Skullz 60lbs, 340gr@300fps, AlienX, Next Camo, 56lb, 304gr@300fps, for 3D
    2003 Hoyt Razortec XT2000 63lb, 360gr@275fps, for 3D and light game.
    2008 Parker Trailblazer XP/Hoyt cam 1/2 Frankenbow 62lb,
    Samick T/D Recurve 50lb @ 28"

Kev,

What is your thought process on going to the Bodoodle?

Bill
    2012 Hoyt Element RKT 27.5" 70#
    2011 Elite Pure 27.5" 60#
    2006 Hoyt Ultra Elite XT 3000 Spiral Cam 27 " 60#
    Black Widow PLX Curly Etimoe/Honduran Rosewood 50#

Quote Originally Posted by SactoBowman View Post
    Kev,

What is your thought process on going to the Bodoodle?

Bill
    Well, I looked at it this way, I had a Bodoodle rest 14 years ago and it shot well.
    When I decided to set up a bow for fingers, (I mostly shoot release) it seemed the right way to go.
    The inner spring allows for the sideways flex of the arrow with the string rolling off the fingers and the bottom spring lets the arrow run all the way to the end for maximum guidance.
    A friend of mine uses the springy things and really likes them and offered me a loan of one of those to try before I bought the BD.
    Although I would have saved money with a springy over the BD, I see a lot of the recurve shooters in my club who use them constantly twiddling with them.
    I turned down the loan offer 'cos I felt a lot more confidence with the idea of using the BD.
    So far, absolutely no problems with it, just take it out and shoot it.

Kev
    AlienX, Next camo, 63lbs, 405gr@270fps, for bigger game.
    AlienX, Black/Skullz 60lbs, 340gr@300fps, AlienX, Next Camo, 56lb, 304gr@300fps, for 3D
    2003 Hoyt Razortec XT2000 63lb, 360gr@275fps, for 3D and light game.
    2008 Parker Trailblazer XP/Hoyt cam 1/2 Frankenbow 62lb,
    Samick T/D Recurve 50lb @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
    I have been using the NAP flipper center rest with the plunger for 20 years. I wish they still made them as quit making them several years back. But I have never had a problem with them. I am sure glad I have 4 of them.
    Amen to that! Had all my bows stolen and just got a protec to get started back in it. I start looking for the flipper/plunger rest and all you can get is replacement heads? ***? Where's the rest of it? Yeah, I can build my own version, and will, but the NAP boycott is on! I don't care what other cute stuff they make.

By the way if anyone has any in their junk box, or " I tried this but it never worked for me box", I"ll buy them.

Timber Doodle II on my Oneida Tomkat-with some moleskin totally silent!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast