Archery Talk Forum banner

Grip or no grip?

3K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  bingerarcher 
#1 ·
How many of you guys are shooting with your over-mold grip attached or removed? Personally I have mine removed.

#4 ·
I've put it on and taken it off twice to see if I get much of a difference and for me it stays off. I need the crotch of my hand to slip on the grip and the rubber doesn't allow this, I believe I am inducing torque while trying to get my hand in position on the grip. I see much smaller groups when it is off sooooo off it is.

#10 ·
Hated the grip on the Motive 6. Prefer the bare bow on my Encounter.

#14 ·
I read an Article in either Out Door Life or the Bowhunting Mag. where they went over a bunch of archery question...light vs heavy arrows, whisker biscuit vs drop away, brace height etc. One was the grip question and 4 guys where running the test they each shot many models with grip and without. Their finding was a tighter group especially at a longer distance. 2 of guys didn't like the feel without it but did like the results. I wish I could find the arcticle so you guys could read it; had some good info in there. I personally like mine on but have tried it off didn't see a noticeable differenc.

2013 Bear Method -27.5" @ 69lbs

#23 ·
If it is what I'm thinking of, it was the Field and Stream magazine, I think the June issue. It looked to build the "perfect bow" and tried to compare different things. There was a massive thread about it when it came out, some claiming it was evidence gold, others claiming it was just 3 guys shooting in the backyard. The truth is somewhere in between. It was a great starting point, especially for beginners, and did debunk a few myths (in relativity), but they were shooting in ideal circumstances by 3 separate guys with their own tendencies and preferences. Take the results with a grain of salt. Personally, I have shot both (grip on and off) and tend to prefer grip on. I need to shoot both though side by side a little more to decide what to go with.

#15 ·
If we look at pure physiology and physics, a narrower handle is harder to torque. That explains the better groups without the over-grip. If you are trying to create leverage, do you want a long or short handle. The narrower the grip the less leverage and less torque that can be generated. Now, IMHO reality is not always totally dependent upon science. If something looks or feels better, there is a psychological dimension that is added to actual performance. That dimension can overcome pure physics when it comes to shooting a bow.

#17 ·
I have removed mine 3 times but keep putting it back on cuz it just feels better in my hand with it on or off I shoot the same for me anyways

#22 ·
Haven't had a ton of time with it yet, but so far like it a lot. Quite different from the 2 Martins. Need to put in a good chunk of time this week before the weekend rolls around because I do plan to take it out this season. Had to change up my arrows and need to do some minor tuning adjustments with them.

#27 ·
Thanks for posting the link. I read the article and wish they had gone into more detail on why they think they improved with the narrower grip. I'm a believer in narrow grips. Would like to have heard their reasoning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.