Thread: Pennsylvania Corn Hunting

Pennsylvania Corn Hunting

I know in PA it is illegal to hunt bait. However, is it legal to hunt a corn or bean field? I have permission to hunt 600 acres by me and part of it is used to farm corn.

2013 Bear Motive 6 - QAD HDX Ultra Rest - HHA OL-5519 Sight - Sims S-Coil Stabilizer
    Bemen ICS Hunter Carbon Arrows - Slick Trick GrizzTrick II Broadheads

It's legal if the crop has been harvested. Look at Page 17 of the PA Hunting and Trapping Digest, under "Cultivated Land". The next section on "Baiting" states that it doesn't pertain to hunting where accepted farming practices are taking place.

The way I read that, hunting near my harvested corn fields is legal and not considered "baiting"
    clm2112 - Curt
    ------------------
    2012 Bowtech Assasin 60# (set to 50#), 1978 Bear "White Bear" 35#, *new* Hoyt Excel 23" with Dryad Epic limbs 50#

Also all of these 20x20 (for example) food plots that guys put in are illegal to hunt. I believe it reads that they must be adequate enough to feed the entire population of game in order to be hunted. I think I remember a friend going through this issue and was quoted that either a 2 or 20 acre min size plot satisfied this argument. I forget the exact number.

Can you hunt it if it hasn't been harvested?? These corn fields are an actual farm, nothing to do with hunting other than the fact that I happen to have permission to hunt all of their land.

Yes you can hunt near a farm field with standing corn

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

You can hunt "in the corn" if you want.

AWESOME, thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by clm2112 View Post
    It's legal if the crop has been harvested. Look at Page 17 of the PA Hunting and Trapping Digest, under "Cultivated Land". The next section on "Baiting" states that it doesn't pertain to hunting where accepted farming practices are taking place.

The way I read that, hunting near my harvested corn fields is legal and not considered "baiting"
    Fields don't have to be harvested. You can hunt right on the edge, in the rows anywhere you want as long as you have permission. My best hunting is on the edge of a corn field.
    Hoyt Spyder 34
    G5 85 Grain Montecs
    I like big bucks and I can not lie

if it was illegal for me to hunt corn or bean fields it would be illegal for me to hunt.
    '14 Prime Alloy 70# 30"/ Easton FMJ .340 / QAD HDX / HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra / Grim Reapers
    First Annual ArcheryTalk Trail Camera Photo Contest coming soon! http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2287167

I contacted the commission on this a while back, as long as the plant is germinated you are ok, IE hunting around a food plot, orchard, or corn.

I see you point as if the plants are cut and harvested, and the corn is on the ground.....

Slippery slope with that one. I say go for it.
    SUMMIT TREESTAND ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7839 View Post
    Also all of these 20x20 (for example) food plots that guys put in are illegal to hunt. I believe it reads that they must be adequate enough to feed the entire population of game in order to be hunted. I think I remember a friend going through this issue and was quoted that either a 2 or 20 acre min size plot satisfied this argument. I forget the exact number.
    This is not true. Germinated crops and foodplots are legal to hunt, no matter the size. The PGC has small plots seeded all over State game lands. I believe they are still open for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty C View Post
    Fields don't have to be harvested. You can hunt right on the edge, in the rows anywhere you want as long as you have permission. My best hunting is on the edge of a corn field.
    Good point. You need permission. Lol

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

Hmmm... Yeah, I guess you are right. The way it is phrased in the book was a little misleading to me. The operative part of the paragraph is that you need permission to hunt it from the owner, not whether it was harvested or not. Hmmm... I guess I grant myself permission, they are my fields and that's my corn.

I think I get the gist of what the PGC was trying to say in the part about hunting on cultivated land: Which is don't go messing about in someone's fields without the farmer giving you the OK to do so. I'd think that was so obvious as to not need stated, but then, I grew up on this farm and take a lot for granted that may not occur to someone else.
    clm2112 - Curt
    ------------------
    2012 Bowtech Assasin 60# (set to 50#), 1978 Bear "White Bear" 35#, *new* Hoyt Excel 23" with Dryad Epic limbs 50#

Yeah, permission is tantamount. Trespassers that knowingly trespass piss me off. Hunting a corn field edge back home is excellent hunting (Northern Michigan). Pennsylvania's wording was just funny.

Bingo
    Natures Essence