a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: If you get winded, will the deer ever come back?

If you get winded, will the deer ever come back?

A buddy and I have had an ongoing debate. His claim is that once busted, a deer will no longer return to that area. I am not a believer in this theory. What is your take on this?

Your buddy is wrong.
    Road Crew Pro Staff
    I shoot bows

your buddy is absolutely wrong!

He's wrong.

A doe will return, but she'll be looking for you, you can by on that. A mature buck??? That might be a different story.
    Switchback LD
    32/70

Country boy can Survive

Quote Originally Posted by LR243 View Post
    A doe will return, but she'll be looking for you, you can by on that. A mature buck??? That might be a different story.
    Agree.
    2011 EVO 62lb 28.5" draw 383gr DCA's 305fps and slick tricks
    Love my Pre School Equipment

Definitely wrong. I got point blank busted last year hanging my stand just after dawn by a doe and two fawns. They snuck in within 20 yards. They saw me, surly smelled me since they walked where I walked. The mom blew and they ran off. Not 15 minutes they were back just milling around right in front of me. I was not after an anterless that day, lucky for them.

Not my only experience with one coming back, but the most unbelievable.

Heck, I've had them come back in the same day.

Depends on how bad you smell

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

is this a serious question? if this were the case, then there would be no deer anywhere during hunting season..not to mention turkey season when the clothes are not treated the same as deer season.
    yes, they will come back. bucks and all will still be there. maybe they will move differently, maybe not. they are animals..we will NEVER be able to predict their movement as bad as some would like to or as some say they can

From my experience , the deer will return, but will do so very cautiously, every time. Now a mature buck may not , at least until the rut , and he may follow a doe through the area without any thought.
    Bow, arrows , and broadheads

It will check from a distance and unless the hunter steps things up they'll be busted again and then your buddy is probably right. \

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman7 View Post
    From my experience , the deer will return, but will do so very cautiously, every time. Now a mature buck may not , at least until the rut , and he may follow a doe through the area without any thought.
    ~Best answer, especially if they visually made you too.... (forget not that mature does are also extremely intelligent in this regard)... Also, I'd move stand ~60 yards if I wanted those deer (but only if I was visually busted too.)
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

If every time a deer winded someone they left for good there would never be a spot a deer could stay ever. Your buddy is wrong.

Not trying to give deer (bucks) more credit for mental abilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if that deer is back after sunset that evening and he will be following up your scent trail to see where you went. Unless he's just passing through and does not frequent the area. I'm a firm believer that if you're after a certain buck and you hunt from the same setup (tree or area) more than a couple times it will be game over for you. Got to keep them guessing. I would say if you have him somewhat patterned then setup 60-100 yds. closer to him (playing the wind) figuring that he will come through that area later now and might even stop a good ways before he gets there to see if he can pick up your scent/movement and bust you or avoid you again.
    I think your buddy is wrong saying he won't come through there again, but I would say that trying to setup on him again, for weeks to come, in that same area is going to yeild the same results as if the buck was never to return. The odds are not very good.
    Drenalin LD-Spot Hogg Hunter-HDX-Bee Stinger Premier Plus
    Heli-m-Hogg-It-HDX-Bee Stinger
    Chill X - Hogg Father-HDX-BeeStingers- Carbon Injections

An immature deer will come back, a mature doe will be cautious and might swing wide of where you were busted, a mature buck you wont even know winded you and will most likely become nocturnal or move off to safer areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ILbowhunter79 View Post
    An immature deer will come back, a mature doe will be cautious and might swing wide of where you were busted, a mature buck you wont even know winded you and will most likely become nocturnal or move off to safer areas.
    Agree 100%! ~ Big bucks don't get that way by being careless!
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

They will return but most likely after shooting light.

I got busted by a mature doe the other night. I hunted there tonight and she stayed 70 yards away from me at all times. I think she was avoiding the area where she busted me.
    2011 Bowtech Assassin
    Ripcord Code Red Arrow Rest
    B-Stinger 12" Stabilizer
    Scott Dual Caliper Release
    Easton Axis 340

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLimbs View Post
    ~Best answer, especially if they visually made you too.... (forget not that mature does are also extremely intelligent in this regard)... Also, I'd move stand ~60 yards if I wanted those deer (but only if I was visually busted too.)
    True, a bjg old mature doe is just as wary as a mature buck, and since the does usually come in first , they can ruin your hunt especially if they have seen you in the same stand before. I got seen by what I know was the same doe , three times in one of my stands , once she saw me draw and kill a buck that was with a group of 8 other does and fawns, and they were all feeding under oaks and it was almost dark, so even though all of those deer were close , under 20 yards, the biggest doe kept looking up and just knew something wasn't right. Well when the buck stepped in and turned perfectly broad side at 20 yards I just drew my bow and she immediately blew and took off. By that time I had my pin settled on the buck and he , along with the other deer was watching her run off snorting, so I released the arrow and the buck piled up 40 yards later. I hunted that same stand a week later and there was no where to move the ladder stand with any cover and behind the stand less than 20 yards was a thick clear cut and near dark I saw a huge doe coming down the trail when all of a sudden she dropped off into the clear cut and skirted my stand , with it being too thick to get any shot , and she saw me in the tree again and took off snorting the whole way. I waited 2 more weeks and went back and what I'm sure was the same doe done the exact same thing and took off again.

She always used the same trail so 2 days later I went back to the same stand , climbed the ladder , hung my pack where I always hung it , but this time I used a screw in tree step and hung a camo shirt and a hat off of it and climbed back down. I set on the ground about 10 yards from the trail that she always used and hid myself in some small hemlock trees and broke out one little hole giving me a 10 yard broadside shot to the trail that I knew she would come in on. Like clockwork a couple of hours later I saw her coming around the trail , looking up towards my stand. I drew my bow while she was looking up and getting ready to drop off in the clear cut and blow out of there again. While she was staring at the hat and shirt moving in the breeze I put an arrow through both lungs and the top of her heart at less than 10 yards off the ground . She was so used to me sitting in that stand she never knew I was on the ground with her. She ran about 30 yards and my big mature doe problem was over. Just a doe but definitely a special hunt that I will never forget. Sorry for the long read , but if you get busted there are other ways to out smart some deer.
    Bow, arrows , and broadheads