a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: bucks vanishing

bucks vanishing

I have a question.....I had 15 diff bucks on my camera from july-aug coming into my small bait pile, night and day time. now I have maybe 2 tops all small ones if any. I know theres standing corn and bean fields around and the acorns are falling but generally how long before they start coming back around? I figure once the fields get cut will help a great deal. just curious as to how long it usally takes. (this is the first time I really had lots of bucks on camera) so I really never gave it much thought in the past

Hard Horn. It's a mid year crisis for them.

When they go hard horned its a different animal......you can read all about in the hunting section

Acorns will win over anything . They typically are off beans now and will go back to corn when the acorns are depleted . Beans rock late season if any are around as will corn.
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb.
    Vortex Optics -
    Tru-Fire releases

I am checking my cams tmw,so I'll see if I am still getting a good amount of buck pics.

Changing food sources and time to establish a pecking order. Some will move on to new ranges.
    HOYT Carbon Element, Rip cord rest, Montana black gold flash point micro 4 pin, hoyt pro series arrow quiver, beman ics hunters, slick trick 100 mags
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    Team 31 Ridgetop Warriors 2010/2011 bowhunting champs
    2013-14 Magnificent 7 bowhunting champs

Happens every summer. When the horns get hard some will leave and never come back. Some will stay. Some new ones will come in. I haven't had a picture of the deer on my profile since the end of July. I'm praying he comes back!!!
    2013 Hoyt Carbon Element Carbon Express PileDriver PassThru 350 Ramcat 100 gr

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Man View Post
    I have a question.....I had 15 diff bucks on my camera from july-aug coming into my small bait pile, night and day time. now I have maybe 2 tops all small ones if any. I know theres standing corn and bean fields around and the acorns are falling but generally how long before they start coming back around? I figure once the fields get cut will help a great deal. just curious as to how long it usally takes. (this is the first time I really had lots of bucks on camera) so I really never gave it much thought in the past
    =============================

Hello All
    Here they change there pattern 3 times a year.
    One change ,they take a roaming spell. You see him today and it will be close to a week before you see him again. Example I have seen the same buck 3 or so miles away. Its like he makes a big circle.

Another change is he will find the thickest stuff he can find. And feed and rub a tree at dark. I have been on my stand some time 2 hours before day light. Setting there resting my eyes . And here a buck start working on a tree. [ Later
    Just old cryptic Unk at work.
    " Play " with archery.
    Don't let archery " Play " with you
    Think while practicing.
    Turn off thinker,while performing

It's the acorns plain and simple!

Sorry to thread jack but this time of year acorns>corn/beans?

Happens here where I live every year. Till the rut

Yep and the guy 5 miles away is having the same problem..

That's why the rut is always so interesting... You never know who is going to show up!

Are the two bucks showing back up dominant or smaller ?

Good luck man

Team #39 - PSD
    Mathews Helim - Hogg Father - Dirt Nap Gear - VaporTrail Threads

It's all about the chase…….. chasedeer365

I agree hard horned and acorns make all the difference

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

I had at least 8 different bucks on this little area I'm in.....only a spike and 3 pointer with a few does and fawns now.

Was getting over 100 pics a week....now maybe 10-15 and the same ones over and over.
    Rules: Are guidelines for the wise and restrictions for the stupid.

Yep velvet is shed & acorns are falling, beans are drying up & testosterone levels are going up. They are still there just feeding on those acorns. Big bucks don't like to share at bait piles. Your 1.5 yr olds will move on to new areas. Im still getting pics of both my big ones at the bait pile but only 10-15 pics per week. I was getting 200 pr week.
    08' Bowtech 82nd Airborne with all the goods! 331 fps @ 29" 65# 334 grain arrow.
    GOD, FAMILY AND THE OUTDOORS!