Archery Talk Forum banner

bucks vanishing

857 views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Deerslayer 28 
#1 ·
I have a question.....I had 15 diff bucks on my camera from july-aug coming into my small bait pile, night and day time. now I have maybe 2 tops all small ones if any. I know theres standing corn and bean fields around and the acorns are falling but generally how long before they start coming back around? I figure once the fields get cut will help a great deal. just curious as to how long it usally takes. (this is the first time I really had lots of bucks on camera) so I really never gave it much thought in the past

#4 ·
Acorns will win over anything . They typically are off beans now and will go back to corn when the acorns are depleted . Beans rock late season if any are around as will corn.

#6 ·
Changing food sources and time to establish a pecking order. Some will move on to new ranges.

#7 ·
Happens every summer. When the horns get hard some will leave and never come back. Some will stay. Some new ones will come in. I haven't had a picture of the deer on my profile since the end of July. I'm praying he comes back!!!

#8 ·
=============================

Hello All
Here they change there pattern 3 times a year.
One change ,they take a roaming spell. You see him today and it will be close to a week before you see him again. Example I have seen the same buck 3 or so miles away. Its like he makes a big circle.

Another change is he will find the thickest stuff he can find. And feed and rub a tree at dark. I have been on my stand some time 2 hours before day light. Setting there resting my eyes :teeth:. And here a buck start working on a tree. [ Later

#14 ·
I had at least 8 different bucks on this little area I'm in.....only a spike and 3 pointer with a few does and fawns now.

Was getting over 100 pics a week....now maybe 10-15 :( and the same ones over and over.

#15 ·
Yep velvet is shed & acorns are falling, beans are drying up & testosterone levels are going up. They are still there just feeding on those acorns. Big bucks don't like to share at bait piles. Your 1.5 yr olds will move on to new areas. Im still getting pics of both my big ones at the bait pile but only 10-15 pics per week. I was getting 200 pr week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.